Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Information on Toxteth?

  1. #1

    Default Information on Toxteth?

    Hey,

    Hope everyone is doing well. I'm currently researching a story for university (I'm a third year journalism student at

    John Moores) on Toxtheth 25 years.

    I am wondering if any of you out there would be kind enough to give me your opinions on how you think it has/has

    not changed since the riots with regards to housing, employment and the community, also do you think that in Liverpool winning the Capital of Culture has

    this had any effect on the area for good or bad?

    Any comments or opinions would be gratefully accepted.



    Many thanks,

    superlambananna

  2. #2
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Give www.toxteth.net's Paul Christian a shout. There is nothing he doesn't know about Tocky

  3. #3

    Default

    I don't know, there are some pretty

    rundown areas of Toxteth even today, with scars of the riots clearly visible. Just take a look down Lodge Lane... How far does the COC stuff spread? I mean,

    there's plenty of stuff going on in the town centre, but I've seen little change in Toxteth over the last 5 years.

    Still, having said that, there's

    all that 'New Kensington' stuff, but that's going off the point and only bound to dig up other arguments!!

    But as Dave says, toxteth.net is a good

    resource, so that would be a good start.

  4. #4

    Default

    Cheers for the quick reply.

    I will check toxteth.net out now.

    superlambananna

  5. #5
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Toxteth is a very large area covering Liverpool 8, parts of 7, 15, 17 and 18. I think you mean Liverpool 8. They planted trees not much else. Some housing development has been done and a big project to re-do the Welsh Streets too, although this is now not then.

    The top class developments on the docks may spread up into Toxteth and some are. The high class private flats on the corner of Park Place and Hill Street indicates this. The area will change and many of the poorer people may be priced out as developments move in.

    Getting the Dingle underground rail Station back into use would re-generate that area, attracting developers - a few minutes into the centre and beyond. The station is still there underground complete with platforms. All it needs is renovating and a gantry bridge from the Dingle Tunnel to drop to the Merseyrail network line beneath at the Herculaneum Dock. A cheap price to lift an area up by its bootstraps. They could in time extend the tunnel further inland from Dingle adding one or two stations - as was the original intention.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  6. #6
    scouserdave
    Guest scouserdave's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Toxteth is a very large area covering Liverpool 8, parts of 7, 15, 17 and 18. I think you mean Liverpool 8. They planted trees not much else. Some housing development has been done and a big project to re-do the Welsh Streets too, although this is now not then.

    The top class developments on the docks may spread up into Toxteth and some are. The high class private flats on the corner of Park Place and Hill Street indicates this. The area will change and many of the poorer people may be priced out as developments move in.

    Getting the Dingle underground rail Station back into use would re-generate that area, attracting developers - a few minutes into the centre and beyond. The station is still there underground complete with platforms. All it needs is renovating and a gantry bridge from the Dingle Tunnel to drop to the Merseyrail network line beneath at the Herculaneum Dock. A cheap price to lift an area up by its bootstraps. They could in time extend the tunnel further inland from Dingle adding one or two stations - as was the original intention.
    Thanks

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Getting the Dingle underground rail Station back into use would re-generate that area, attracting developers - a few minutes into the centre and beyond. The station is still there underground complete with platforms. All it needs is renovating and a gantry bridge from the Dingle Tunnel to drop to the Merseyrail network line beneath at the Herculaneum Dock. A cheap price to lift an area up by its bootstraps. They could in time extend the tunnel further inland from Dingle adding one or two stations - as was the original intention.
    I can't see that really paying off... but still, it's an idea. Is the garage that used to occupy the station site a few years ago still operational? The Subterranean Britannica guys managed to get a visit to the station site - if the garage is still there I might try contacting the owner.

  8. #8
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    All you need to know is it's the Ghetto.

    And I was born in a hospital around there that no longer exists.

    So that makes me from the ghetto.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  9. #9

    Default

    Max From Da Ghetto. Which hospital would that have been, the south Liverpool one in the heart of Toxteth? Forget the name of it now...

    I happen to drive up Lodge Lane the other evening, and I've never seen such a huge mob of kids congregated on a street. Still, they appeared to be keeping to themselves and not causing any trouble... Funny how it only happens when it gets dark earlier...

  10. #10
    Senior Member AK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bootle
    Posts
    426

    Default

    There is no doubt in my mind that Toxteth has changed alot since the riots. This change has been mainly social and peoples' attitudes have changed alot, for the better. The physical environment only began to change about 3 years ago with houses being refurbished and new facilities being built. It is only now that real change is beginning to happen with projects such as the welsh streets demolitions and environmental improvements. The quality of life in this area is a million times better now than it was during the 70's and 80's. Tocky used to be a no go zone but now it is finally beginning to feel like a community with a very bright future ahead of it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Waterways's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,924
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superlambananna View Post
    Hey,

    Hope everyone is doing well. I'm currently researching a story for university (I'm a third year journalism student at John Moores) on Toxtheth 25 years.

    I am wondering if any of you out there would be kind enough to give me your opinions on how you think it has/has not changed since the riots with regards to housing, employment and the community, also do you think that in Liverpool winning the Capital of Culture has this had any effect on the area for good or bad?

    Any comments or opinions would be gratefully accepted.

    Many thanks, superlambananna
    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    I can't see that really paying off...
    They always say that. The station is there, so is the tunnel.

    but still, it's an idea. Is the garage that used to occupy the station site a few years ago still operational? The Subterranean Britannica guys managed to get a visit to the station site - if the garage is still there I might try contacting the owner.
    The station is there OK. The cost is minimal as most is in place. The biggest cost is a gantry to take trains from a high level to a low level.

    A small cost to bring a whole inner-city area back to life...and give the option of extending the tunnel to other areas to bring them back tom life. This could also be a part of a plan to reduce cars in the centre and get rid of the Dock Road, which is little more than an urban motorway. Get them onto rapid transport systems - the infrastructure in the city is mainly in place. The Wapping Tunnel, the Waterloo Tunnel, lines all over the city. It needs integrating that's all. It must be combined with getting cars out of the centre and giving the city back to the people - a people friendly city. Imagine The Strand being like the Ramblas in Barcelona.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

    Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?


    Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

    Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

  12. #12
    Otterspool Onomatopoeia Max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nowhere
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Max From Da Ghetto. Which hospital would that have been, the south Liverpool one in the heart of Toxteth? Forget the name of it now...

    I happen to drive up Lodge Lane the other evening, and I've never seen such a huge mob of kids congregated on a street. Still, they appeared to be keeping to themselves and not causing any trouble... Funny how it only happens when it gets dark earlier...
    Not sure, but my mum said it was in Toxteth.

    You see more mob of kids on Granby!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    They always say that. The station is there, so is the tunnel.



    The station is there OK. The cost is minimal as most is in place. The biggest cost is a gantry to take trains from a high level to a low level.

    A small cost to bring a whole inner-city area back to life...and give the option of extending the tunnel to other areas to bring them back tom life. This could also be a part of a plan to reduce cars in the centre and get rid of the Dock Road, which is little more than an urban motorway. Get them onto rapid transport systems - the infrastructure in the city is mainly in place. The Wapping Tunnel, the Waterloo Tunnel, lines all over the city. It needs integrating that's all. It must be combined with getting cars out of the centre and giving the city back to the people - a people friendly city. Imagine The Strand being like the Ramblas in Barcelona.
    Sounds like something to work toward. I like what you are describing. Just like in "Field of Dreams":

    "If you build it they will come. . ."

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    You see more mob of kids on Granby!
    Granby Street? Walked down there once, don't want to go back!

  15. #15
    Help find Madeleine Sloyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Which hospital would that have been, the south Liverpool one in the heart of Toxteth? Forget the name of it now
    I think it might have been the Royal Southern Hospital which, if my memory serves me right, was located on Caryl Street and was opened sometime in the 186o's. I think it's forerunner the original 'Southern and Toxteth Hospital' which was located on Greenland Street, was opened sometime in the 1840's and I heard somewhere that it was the first public hospital opened by Florence Nightingale. Though I can't vouch for the veracity of that, maybe someone else can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. West Derby Road Information Needed
    By hmtmaj in forum Liverpool East
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-25-2011, 12:51 AM
  2. St. Sylvester's Church, Liverpool 5, history information.
    By charley chester in forum Liverpool North
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 12:29 PM
  3. Information Clamp Family
    By shaylor in forum Liverpool Genealogy and People Search
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM
  4. Information on Woolley
    By allyw40 in forum Liverpool Genealogy and People Search
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 12:03 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •