Page 7 of 101 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

I work in a day centre in Anfield, teaching life skills to people with learning difficulties. About two years ago we decided to look into the Wallace case. One of our service users lives in Wolverton Street and so we had access to the entry. I will try and dig out the photos we took, we also visited Parkes garage, which is still owned by the family, they was very helpful. I always thought Wallace was innocent until i read the transcript of the trial, his alibi of not knowing the area (Menlove gardens), was blown away by his statement in court that he used to get violin lessons from someone in the Pru, who lived on Green Lane 10 second walk away from Menlove gardens. A n area he said he had never visited.

Default Menlove Area

Wallace never said he didn't know the area of Menlove Avenue. At the chess club, when notified of Menlove Gardens East Wallace asked "Is it near Menlove Avenue?" In his statement he claimed he realised he knew he was on Green Lane only when he reached it. And he also stated that he never mentioned his calling at Crewe's home at first because he was asked who he had spoken to. (Wallace didn't get an answer as Crewe was at the cinema on the evening of the 20th). Yes, he visited the home of Joseph Crewe (his super) on five occassions over two years before, but this does not mean he actually knew the area. Let's not forget that Samuel Beattie (the chess club captain) and Edgar Bertram Deyes (another chess club member) both lived in the Menlove area and neither of these men knew whether or not there was a Menlove Gardens East. So it is unfair to suggest Wallace would have known.

I've read the James Murphy account which is anti WHW in the end, yet it still had me thinking he was innocent, perhaps because i'd heard the Radio City story regarding Parry.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Wallace never said he didn't know the area of Menlove Avenue. At the chess club, when notified of Menlove Gardens East Wallace asked "Is it near Menlove Avenue?" In his statement he claimed he realised he knew he was on Green Lane only when he reached it. And he also stated that he never mentioned his calling at Crewe's home at first because he was asked who he had spoken to. (Wallace didn't get an answer as Crewe was at the cinema on the evening of the 20th). Yes, he visited the home of Joseph Crewe (his super) on five occassions over two years before, but this does not mean he actually knew the area. Let's not forget that Samuel Beattie (the chess club captain) and Edgar Bertram Deyes (another chess club member) both lived in the Menlove area and neither of these men knew whether or not there was a Menlove Gardens East. So it is unfair to suggest Wallace would have known.
    Hi all

It would be natural enough to ask whether Menlove Gardens East was near Menlove Avenue if you didn't know the area well. Menlove Avenue is a major thoroughfare in Liverpool so a person could have heard of it without being conversant with the area.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

And since there is a North, South and West, it would be only natural to assume there could be an East too.

Default Address

Correct. I have always thought that much has been made that because WHW didn't consult a directory this points to his guilt. This is all very well with hindsight. Let's say for argument, that there would have been a Qualtrough and a Menlove Gardens East, we wouldn't be having a debate over it! I know James Murphy makes a lot of it in his book, especially with reference to Jonathan Goodman's mentioning of a similar circumstance he had himself in London. Murphy states that Goodman's reference wasn't the same and that a street he was looking for did actually exist. But Goodman also relates another story where he substituted a street name for a non-existent address and then called a friend up (unbeknownst). Yes, the acquaintance of Goodman went to the address (without consulting a directory) and spent over half an hour looking for the non-existent address...

Also, as hard as it might be to believe that WHW would have consulted a street directory back home, nobody did either in the chess club the night before (where there were witnesses galore) so it's feasable.

Default Address

Yes, that's a great point Ged. I have always thought that. If WHW was the killer, he was taking a very big risk at the chess club. For all he knew anyone could have mentioned looking it up (in fact, Beattie did say "you'll have to look it up"). For all Wallace knew, there could have even been a directory at the chess club.

Default Parry's Alibi

Hi All I am not saying Parry did the murder but just want some information from someone with local knowledge

How long would it take to drive from the famous telephone kiosk which I believe was on Priory Road to Missouri Road?

This is taken from the book by James Murphy:
    Lilly Lloydd's mother stated that Parry arrived at her home 7, Missouri Road at 7-15pm precisely the time the telephone call was made to the chess club.

Thank You in anticipation
    All The Best
    Steve

Missouri rd is quite near. You could drive to it very quickly, especially in those days when there was little traffic and the sides streets had no driving restrictions like they do now. ie; one way streets or no entry signs, so you'd be able to drive straight to any place on a more direct route.

In the 1930s there were fewer traffic lights to slow you down.

Assuming that the route to Missouri rd was taken via Townsend lane and turning right into Maiden lane, I'm assuming that there must have been less traffic lights at that time .. (there are 4 sets of lights now which have been added in recent years). I just edited this to say that from the 'triangle' where the phone box was located, there are currently 5 sets of lights including 3 more recent pelican crossings and a fairly new set of lights before the turning onto Maiden lane.

At a rough guess it would take about 4 mins ! Depending of course how fast or slow you drive.
    Last edited by lindylou; 04-02-2007 at 12:48 PM.

Default Missouri Road

Yes, I would have said about 5 minutes travelling time.

Thank You Lindy & Mark

So using the same criteria applied to Wallace himself by those who think he was guilty by that I mean being a little flexible with times. Parry could possibly have made the call and arrived at 7 Missouri Road quite soon after. Lilly Lloyd's mother may have been a few minutes out when she said he arrived at 7-15pm

Just a thought
    All The Best
    Steve

And a reasonable thought Steve. How's the band coming along?

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    And a reasonable thought Steve. How's the band coming along?
    Bit of a JOKER eh Ged ..

Hee hee - there you are...

Page 7 of 101 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast