Thread: St Luke?s Church [The Bombed Out Church]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The original clock was burnt out and the clock hands stuck at 5:25, the time the fire from the bombing reached the clock. The face had gone but the hands still there. They should have left the old clock alone at 5:25. I was astounded that anyone could take the old clock away - replacing it was a real dumb thing to do.
    Not sure where you got that information from - I have a photograph from a lady who lived in Bold Place. She said that between Midnight and 3:30am, St Luke's was given a direct hit. The photo's show the clock stopped at 3:36am - which may have been over an hour after the bomb was dropped - mainly because of the fire taking hold and burning through the tower at a slow pace. The only part of the tower that remained (internally) was the steel bell frame, everything else including the original clock and movement crashed to the ground.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Not sure where you got that information from - I have a photograph from a lady who lived in Bold Place. She said that between Midnight and 3:30am, St Luke's was given a direct hit. The photo's show the clock stopped at 3:36am - which may have been over an hour after the bomb was dropped - mainly because of the fire taking hold and burning through the tower at a slow pace. The only part of the tower that remained (internally) was the steel bell frame, everything else including the original clock and movement crashed to the ground.
    I got the information by looking at the clock. I'm pretty sure it was 5:25. It may have been different depending on the face.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition