YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: St Luke?s Church [The Bombed Out Church]

Thanks

Exclamation St Luke?s Church [The Bombed Out Church]

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as regards St Lukes Church (The bombed out church) not it's past history, it's current state, like who owns it ? is there a website I can visit?

ADVERTISING

I thank you

Thanks

Hello GhostSearch

St. Luke's is maintained as a war memorial currently but there are plans hopefully to rehang the bells in the belltower. You might contact the Merseyside Bell Restoration Group who are working on this to find out information on who owns the property though I suspect the Liverpool Diocese owns it. See address and email addy at end of the bell ringers website.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by GhostSearch View Post
    Can anyone steer me in the right direction as regards St Lukes Church (The bombed out church) not it's past history, it's current state, like who owns it ? is there a website I can visit?

I thank you
    I've got a few pics taken a few months ago, but no info.
    http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/stlukes/index.html

theninesisters

I can do better than that!

I'm selling these.......(not off the back of a lorry..I'm a committee member!)

The Merseyside Bell Restoration Group (MBRG) was officially adopted in December of 1994, but had been in unofficial existence for 20 years prior to that date. The MBRG is administered by a group of six Trustees who are all church Bellringers.

Peace & Good Neighbourhood was written by Bryan McCahey and first published on St Luke’s Day, 18th October 1995. The book chronicles the history of the site of St Luke’s, construction of the church, history of the bells themselves, and also the significance of the ‘first all-metal bell frame’ still in situ in the tower. This frame design (1828) was the forerunner of all modern bell frames. It also describes the destruction of the bells and body of the church in the blitz of 1941.

It is a 61-page hard backed book and printed using letterpress and as such it is one of the few truly hand-made books published in recent years.
    The book also contains a list of the peals rung between 1829 and 1931 together with illustrations of the church and rare photographs of the bell frame.

The price of the book is just £10, £11.50 inclusive of post and packaging. A very small sum in my opinion for such a rare and detailed book of the information on the bells. All proceeds go to the restricted St Luke’s Fund, administered by the MBRG, and as such it cannot be used for any other project or purpose within the MBRG.

Please see the pictures below for a view of the book, the layout and also rare drawings of St Luke’s gone by which feature in the book.

PM if you would like my address to send a cheque to!
    Last edited by theninesisters; 12-26-2006 at 08:44 PM.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    I can do better than that!
    Better than what?

theninesisters

I can do better than getting them to contact the MBRG as that website is out of date now as I'm working on a new one

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast