Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World War II air raid shelters and defenses in the Liverpool area

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DaisyChains

I just wondered if there are any other air raid shelters still about in Liverpool?

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    I just wondered if there are any other air raid shelters still about in Liverpool?
    I know of one in Childwall in someone's back garden!

Excellent pics and information, snappel. Thanks!

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Smile Dragons Teeth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Excellent pics and information, snappel. Thanks!

All the best

Chris
    Hi Chris if they are the ones by Hilfoot road Bridge. I went to look for them a few months ago and couldn't find them. I never give up until I've been back in the Winter. You can see much more when the vegetation dies back. So I will be going back, perhaps with a few more pillboxes to look for with the kind help of people from this forum!

Better go look busy

Derek

Default fort crosby

i my self used to play in the bunkers on crosby beach from about 1988 to 94, i've since found out a lot more info. Crosby fort used to have hundreds if not thousands of german prisoners of war. check this link out as a starting point.

http://www.crosbyherald.co.uk/news/c...8459-22296186/

this guy is friend of my mums and he's done a few books like this about the crosby area..

the german prisoners used to put plays on for the locals as i understand it. think it was torn down in the 60's although it was still partly in some use in the 50's.

My older cousin was convinced there were more tunels connecting some bunkers. I have been as deep as you can go in the larger bunker an its impossible to say if they extend or are linked because of the ruble, sand, and rubbish in there. my cuz actually went as far as to set off a small home made exposives in the dunes next to the bunkers trying to uncover further passages, obviuosly i know now this was a bad idea but boys will be boys! and no he never did find that elusive hidden bunker! i know around crosby the took down signs to confuse the germans if they ever did land. Theres a boundary stone by my mums which marks where great crosby and little crosby are, it points in a certain direction, its been there for years an years, they even defaced this just incase it helped the ememy find the way.. some really intresting facts like the old duck pond being used for bull fights and many more detailed storys all factual... like i say a good read indeed..

Default Underground shelter in back garden

Hi everyone know am late but if anyones interested I have a underground air raid shelter in the back garden. Its puzzling me on what type though because it seems to be an anderson shelter inside although it is fully underground with concrete roof walls and stairs going into it, looks like a professional job and not something knocked up during the war. It is partially filled in I am in the process of getting all the crap out of it.
    My grandad filled it in years ago when he bought the house. I cant find any information on this type of shelter being used so if anyone has or knows were I can find out would be much appreciated.

BTW the house is by broadway in norris green.

That's interesting Dave.

I know there's an air raid siren on the roof of St. Georges Hall which must have been a good vantage point.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The shelters at Dovedale School have been demolished...as I found out, when I went to photograph them recently.
    Google Streetview:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,358.29,,1,5

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The shelters at Dovedale School have been demolished...as I found out, when I went to photograph them recently.
    Google Streetview:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,358.29,,1,5
    Duncombe Road school (Auigburth/Garston area) had bomb shelters on the Duncombe Rd. side into the 70's - but they are gone now. Simple brick square buildings with a concrete roof and a open, but "zig-zag" entrance, IIRC.

We still had them in Varley Road up until a few years ago !, our next door neighbour used his as a shed, whilst my dear old Dad spent ages demolishing ours !

Excuse my ignorance but the point of the Dragons Teeth was ?

Quote Originally Posted by 87_dave View Post
    Hi everyone know am late but if anyones interested I have a underground air raid shelter in the back garden. Its puzzling me on what type though because it seems to be an anderson shelter inside although it is fully underground with concrete roof walls and stairs going into it, looks like a professional job and not something knocked up during the war. It is partially filled in I am in the process of getting all the crap out of it.
    My grandad filled it in years ago when he bought the house. I cant find any information on this type of shelter being used so if anyone has or knows were I can find out would be much appreciated.

BTW the house is by broadway in norris green.
    Could it be a Cold War "fear of nuclear bombs" shelter, and not a WWII one?

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Could it be a Cold War "fear of nuclear bombs" shelter, and not a WWII one?
    Possibly but the house is around 1930's so would of thought it to be ww11. Going to take some pics after waters pumped out.

exacta2a's Dragons Teeth photo at Crosby featured in the Liverpool Echo (8/4/11)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2...ol-816926@N21/.
    There are also a few along the Cheshire Lines cycle path, East of the Formby by-pass, near a couple of bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    exacta2a's Dragons Teeth photo at Crosby featured in the Liverpool Echo (8/4/11)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2...ol-816926@N21/.
    There are also a few along the Cheshire Lines cycle path, East of the Formby by-pass, near a couple of bridges.
    The wife wasn`t happy, she said "You always called me your page 3 girl, what am I doing on page 20"
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast