Thread: Edwards' Grocery in Granby Street

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    The Mr. Sud I was talking about was a huge guy, must have had a 60 inch waist. I don't know what nationality he was but he wore a turban, This fella would never fit in an ice cream van. He used to drink whiskey out of a pint glass in Hessians pub.
    He sold out before I did in 1964 and went to Canada.
    My Mr. Sud was also huge, at least sideways, could never make out his height with him being in a van. But he certainly filled the serving window. He looked to me to be in his 50's at the time I'm talking about, which would be the early 60's. He was obviously a Sikh and his turban as I recall was always plain white. I lived in Wynnstay St. - a couple of streets up from Princes Road.

It could have been the same person. I had been told he was going to Canada when he sold his shop, but that could have changed. I never saw him after that.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Thinking about it Shy I think I have completely got the wrong fella (). I'll have to wait to see my sister - who is younger, smarter and has a better memory than me - but I may be getting mixed up with someone else of a similar description. His name was Pal.
    Can you remember a small coffee bar in Granby in the early 60's on the same side as the school? and a shop that sold false teeth? or are these more examples of my suspect memory(RIP)?
    Speedy Gonzales was top of the pops at the time

The only cafe I remember was "Sid's" cafe at the Parly end and I have no recollection of the false teeth shop. Sid's cafe was almost opposite my shop.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

The false teeth shop you mentioned was a dental repair shop. Dave had that shop it was just by Granby Street school. The kids used to take any injured pigeons to him and he looked after them till they were ok to fly.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

The lady who had the fish shop was called Phyllis, she had a mynah bird that used to talk.