Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Walton 70's & 80's

  1. #1
    Member Lan02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Walton 70's & 80's

    Anyone remember:

    Openshaws chippy with coal fired range and newspaper wrapped fish and chips?

    Abby from Cedardale Stores, top bloke, there for decades?

    Tesco and Co-Op on Rice Lane?

    The OxO park in its floral glory?

    Mrs Young's shop by the Rec?

    The throttle's nest and Atlas cinema leading to an old cobbled street then to Walton Hall Park?

    The camera shop opposite Walton Church?

    That'll do for now I guess, lots of memories!!

    Advertisements -------

  2. #2
    Pennylane
    Guest Pennylane's Avatar

    Default

    Was Mrs Youngs shop on the corner of Rumney Road and Fonthill road , a little red shop ?
    My Nanna lived in Fontill road , i remember the Rec very well . We used to go there in the school holidays and they'd have the play centre open , it was great ..
    I don't Rice Lane at all , because we never ventured that for away . The Oxo gardens sounds interesting though , where was it situated ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rhoobarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    49
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    All before my time i'm afraid but the Oxo park rings a bell, someone must have mentioned it to me,

    Where is/was it?

  4. #4
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    "Openshaws chippy with coal fired range and newspaper wrapped fish and chips?"

    There's one of them in the museum of liverpool life, the last surviving one I think.
    I'm sure someone will put me right !
    Started the Old Swan Website:

    http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

  5. #5
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    here's a pic from the web of it ...
    http://travel.webshots.com/photo/132...K?vhost=travel
    Started the Old Swan Website:

    http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

  6. #6
    Pablo42 pablo42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wallasey
    Posts
    2,650
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Nice one Martin.

  7. #7
    Senior Member kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Midlands
    Age
    69
    Posts
    879
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    "Openshaws chippy with coal fired range and newspaper wrapped fish and chips?"

    There's one of them in the museum of liverpool life, the last surviving one I think.
    I'm sure someone will put me right !
    There was a chippy on Rice Lane, opposite Stalmine Road, was that Openshaws? Would sometimes get something from there when on a late shift at Dunlops. If you asked for a pie and he didn't have one hot, he'd chuck it in the fryer to heat through. Disgusting, now I think about it, but it was common at the time.
    That would have been 1971/72.

  8. #8
    Member Lan02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Was Mrs Youngs shop on the corner of Rumney Road and Fonthill road , a little red shop ?
    My Nanna lived in Fontill road , i remember the Rec very well . We used to go there in the school holidays and they'd have the play centre open , it was great ..
    I don't Rice Lane at all , because we never ventured that for away . The Oxo gardens sounds interesting though , where was it situated ?
    Mrs Youngs was on Birchdale Road between Ashdale and Evered Ave. I remember she used to make ice lies herself in plastic moulds with orange or cola and sell them for 2p I think. Just a little traditional sweet shop.

  9. #9
    Member Lan02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    There was a chippy on Rice Lane, opposite Stalmine Road, was that Openshaws? Would sometimes get something from there when on a late shift at Dunlops. If you asked for a pie and he didn't have one hot, he'd chuck it in the fryer to heat through. Disgusting, now I think about it, but it was common at the time.
    That would have been 1971/72.

    Yep, that was it. I do remember the pie in the fryer thing and it was common. From what I can remember they were a married couple and were there for a good few years. One of the last traditional chippy's in the area I guess.

  10. #10
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    47
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    There was a chippy on Rice Lane, opposite Stalmine Road, was that Openshaws? Would sometimes get something from there when on a late shift at Dunlops. If you asked for a pie and he didn't have one hot, he'd chuck it in the fryer to heat through. Disgusting, now I think about it, but it was common at the time.
    That would have been 1971/72.
    Slightly off topic, whenever me ma got a cheese pie from the chippy she always used to get it 'in the fat' Gotta admit as bad as it was health wise, it was much nicer

  11. #11
    Member Lan02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
    All before my time i'm afraid but the Oxo park rings a bell, someone must have mentioned it to me,

    Where is/was it?
    Oxo park is a little park surrounded by the terraced houses on Stalmine, Firdale and Willowdale Roads. Got it's knickname due to the shape of the lawns, not sure if it has a formal name. Used to be lovely years ago with flower beds, lawns, shrubbery and benches but is a shadow of it's former self now with broken railings, burnt grass, graffiti etc etc.

    Similar park is Devonfield Gardens in Orrell Park which is still kept nice.

  12. #12
    Voodoo Chile @ Woolton delzx7r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stoneycroft
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I remember the Co-Op on Rice Lane very well....Mums number was 162670 and she was always sending me down there to get stuff..." Don't forget the Divvy " she used to yell at me as I went out the door! The shop had those overhead money things where the staff put your cash in pulled a lever and the contraption shot across the store to be returned a minute or so later with the change and your receipt!...Cool.
    I remember the Throstles nest as well...Used to walk to school ( Alsop ) that way sometimes in the Summer so I could save the bus fare and get a Chelsea bun from the bakers at the top of Rice Lane!...
    The OxO park was pretty similar to the one in Devonfield Road where I lived...Very nicely kept as I remember! There was a weird guy who used to hang about round the Oxo...In fact his nick-name WAS OXO...Used to wear big lace up almost blood-red boots and he'd could often be seen wandering around the Rec. by Hartleys hill!...All us kids were terrified of him!
    Negotium Perambulans in Tenebris

  13. #13
    Senior Member Rhoobarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    49
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lan02 View Post
    Oxo park is a little park surrounded by the terraced houses on Stalmine, Firdale and Willowdale Roads. Got it's knickname due to the shape of the lawns, not sure if it has a formal name. Used to be lovely years ago with flower beds, lawns, shrubbery and benches but is a shadow of it's former self now with broken railings, burnt grass, graffiti etc etc.

    Similar park is Devonfield Gardens in Orrell Park which is still kept nice.
    It wasn't always it was in a right state when I moved to Orrell Park.

  14. #14
    Senior Member johnny blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Merseyside
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I remember going to the 'Red Pepper' night club on Rice Lane.
    A friend of mine worked in 'Clarkes' butchers , Terry Lunt , he lived in Northcote Road,
    not seen him for ages, love to know what hes doing now

  15. #15
    Member Lan02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Went round Orrell Pk a few weeks back and park looked nice then do maybe they've not long re-done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68