Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: The last days of Clayton Square

  1. #1
    Senior Member knowhowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chester UK
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default The last days of Clayton Square



    Advertisements -------





    The last days of Clayton Square 1983
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

    The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

    The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com


    Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

  2. #2
    Member birdseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I worked in Owen Owens in the 60s and used to go across to The Villiers in my lunchbreak - the best pint in town. Also The Sefton, where Sadie was in residence. Whatever happened to him?

  3. #3
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Great pic's, it's amazing how quick you forget these places!

  4. #4
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,488
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Excellent views again, very sad to see them building gone, but not thanks to the pics
    Become A Supporter 👇


    Buy Me A Coffee




    Donate Via PayPal


    Donate


  5. #5
    Senior Member shoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Age
    56
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    graham nee, handmade stage wear............ classic...... you wouldn't see many business's in town these days like this being able to afford cbd rents

  6. #6
    Senior Member shoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Age
    56
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    were these pics 83? I can see some sort of foundation posts etc being in place, as I remember the square opened around 88 as i left uk in 89, and it took about 18months to build, anyone got a precise time, in fact I remember going into the skin shop on the corner, not shown closest to the market to buy a crap sheepy ( pigskincoat) ( crackling with buttons) around 87

  7. #7
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    were these pics 83? I can see some sort of foundation posts etc being in place, as I remember the square opened around 88 as i left uk in 89, and it took about 18months to build, anyone got a precise time, in fact I remember going into the skin shop on the corner, not shown closest to the market to buy a crap sheepy ( pigskincoat) ( crackling with buttons) around 87
    They're great photos.
    It was 1986 when those posts went up, as I took a set of photos.

    "Clayton Square Shopping Centre opened for business 9 November 1989, and the public poured in, but Boots was the only shop which was actually open."
    From my Notes.

  8. #8
    Senior Member shoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Age
    56
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    thanks mate, my memory is not tooooo bad after all. thanks

  9. #9
    tattooed gt-grandma quincyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bootle, United Kingdom
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,030
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    excellent memories there.
    Can't believe it's that long ago. Feel old now .
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

    bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

  10. #10
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,677
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I worked in Owen Owens in the 60s and used to go across to The Villiers in my lunchbreak - the best pint in town. Also The Sefton, where Sadie was in residence. Whatever happened to him?
    Sadie was in 'Casey's Fish bar' - a pub on Cases st. He also worked in the Big House (the Vines). In the latter years he was more known for running the Bar Royal in Wood st.

    Sadie died a few years ago.

  11. #11
    Senior Member knowhowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chester UK
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    You're all quite right- I took these in 1986 not 83. Was reading the back of the wrong print...
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

    The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

    The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com


    Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

  12. #12
    Senior Member scouse mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I was back home on holiday later that year (1986), Cases St was boarded up then and they had started demolition. I used to drink on Cases St all the time, mostly in Egerton's. So it was heartbreaking to see the street (or most of it) being torn down.

    I took some photos, I'll have to dig 'em out and scan them.
    A small belief can mean you'll never walk alone

  13. #13
    Senior Member shoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Age
    56
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    I was back home on holiday later that year (1986), Cases St was boarded up then and they had started demolition. I used to drink on Cases St all the time, mostly in Egerton's. So it was heartbreaking to see the street (or most of it) being torn down.

    I took some photos, I'll have to dig 'em out and scan them.

    My mother in law used to work in cases ( nancy) late 70's

  14. #14
    Senior Member scouse mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Sadie was in 'Casey's Fish bar' - a pub on Cases st. He also worked in the Big House (the Vines). In the latter years he was more known for running the Bar Royal in Wood st.

    Sadie died a few years ago.
    Sadie worked at the Sefton too before Casey's.

    He was as hard as nails, I have lost count of the times there would be a a group of lads who didn't know him and would take the pi$$, put it this way, anywhere Sadie worked they didn't need no bouncers.
    A small belief can mean you'll never walk alone

  15. #15
    Senior Member scouse mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    My mother in law used to work in cases ( nancy) late 70's
    I emigrated in 1976 Shoney, and don't remember her.

    Sadie worked there then and there was a black lad called Jimmy, who was a "friend" of Sadies.
    A small belief can mean you'll never walk alone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Clayton Square, 1970
    By Colin Wilkinson in forum Colin Wilkinson's Streets of Liverpool
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
  2. REMEMBER CLAYTON SQUARE LIKE THIS?
    By MerseysideTransportTrust in forum Work and Industry in Liverpool
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
  3. Clayton Square then and now
    By knowhowe in forum Misc. Old Photographs & Images of Liverpool
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68