Thread: Atlantic Tower

Blog Entries

Default Atlantic Tower

LIVERPOOL’S Thistle Hotel hopes to revive its former Atlantic Tower name as part of a multi-million pound makeover.

The landmark building lost its famous name five years ago, but locals still commonly refer to it as the Atlantic Tower.

As well as a revived brand, the hotel is to undergo a major revamp with 50 new rooms, banqueting and conferencing facilities and the relocation of the restaurant to the ground floor.

New owners of Thistle Hotels plan a massive rebranding of the entire chain, an exercise which will be launched in Liverpool next year. Thistle Liverpool’s general manager David Daly says it’s an indication of how far the city has progressed in recent years: “Even just three years ago, Thistle wouldn’t have dreamed of leading a rebranding campaign in Liverpool. The city is now seen as sexy and exciting.”

Leisure group CIT paid £400m for 38 Thistle hotels in February and pledged new investment in the portfolio.

Mr Daly went on: “We have had development plans on the drawing board for some time and are now progressing those with the backing of CIT.

“As part of the plans we are hoping to get the OK on bringing back the Atlantic Tower name, which is still synonymous with this hotel.”

At the moment, three floors are being refurbished, with £22,000 being spent on each room.

He added: “Our room rates are £15 or £20 behind other cities and we have to lift that both by improving facilities and attracting people who will pay.”

He said it was crucial to have top-brand hotels and grade A office space to lure new investors to the city.

The biggest fillip for the hotel sector is expected to be the opening of the Liverpool Arena and Convention Centre early next year.

IC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Seem to remember they were talking about changing this into flats, its good news.

It will always be the Atlantic Tower to me and my mates. We used to drink in the trade winds bar on the 2nd floor as part of our 'lower town' pub walk now and again.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

chippie

so did I ged, happy memories I have of those times

Like you Ged, I can only think of it as the Atlantic hotel

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Thistle reverts to iconic Atlantic Tower

Feb 13 2008 by Barry Turnbull, Liverpool Daily Post

A LIVERPOOL landmark hotel reverted to its former name Atlantic Tower yesterday.

New signs and plaques have been placed on the building which has spent the last 10 years as the Thistle Hotel.

The iconic building is a key feature of the Liverpool skyline and has been renamed in time for the city’s European Capital of Culture celebrations.

Liverpool was chosen as the first hotel in the portfolio to bear the brand new Thistle look and a total of £4m has been spent improving the facilities.

The Atlantic Tower’s refurbishment marks the start of a complete rebranding campaign throughout the group’s 32 hotels across the UK.

General manager David Daly, who heads the Liverpool Hoteliers Association, explains, “Liverpudlians have a great deal of affection for The Atlantic Tower as it is one of the largest hotels in the city – we are delighted it was chosen as the first to unveil Thistle Hotel’s new look.Š

“We are investing heavily in the property to make sure visitors enjoy the best facilities the city has to offer, but more importantly ensure our team is ready to welcome guests.”

Currently, 75 bedrooms are undergoing a makeover at a cost of £25,000 each.

THISTLE PICS PLEASE!

Before Beetham:

After Beetham:

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

[IMG][/IMG]
    Took this one yesterday, man was polishing the "S" before he attached it to the wall. I was actually taking a pic of the sculpture.He`s hidden behind the
    spire of the wall of St Lukes
    Last edited by gregs dad; 02-13-2008 at 07:02 PM.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Excellent, I'll have to have a look for that view.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate