Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 213

Thread: Old Liverpool Railway Stations

  1. #1
    bunf
    Guest bunf's Avatar

    Default st james station - back of cains

    does anyone have any info or pics of this long forgotten station?

    Advertisements -------

    the only info i have is that it closed around 90(!) years ago and has been left ever since

    we took this picture a couple of months back and would be fascinated if anyone could shed some more light
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image139.jpg 
Views:	1769 
Size:	859.3 KB 
ID:	737  

  2. #2
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,488
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    This has fascinated me ever since I was kid, we used to travel into town on the train and they would always slow right down around this area and I would wonder about what it all was down there.

    There are steps down to the railway from high above all around there.

    Any info would be appreciated.
    Become A Supporter 👇


    Buy Me A Coffee




    Donate Via PayPal


    Donate


  3. #3
    Senior Member shytalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pocahontas.Arkansas. U.S.A.
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The facade of the station was still intact in the 70's at the junction of Parly and Park Place.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

  4. #4
    bunf
    Guest bunf's Avatar

    Default

    hi kev

    whilst we were looking around there we noticed that the doors were completely sealed.

    there is a mechanics that backs onto the side of the station, and I wonder if they could see more from their premises?

    there are also some flats overlooking it, if only we knew someone that lived there!!


  5. #5
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    there was a piece about the station in the echo a few years back, but my mum threw it away before i had a chance to read it! grrr

    mums eh?

  6. #6
    Member floyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Allerton
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I have been lurking for a few days and it is absolutely fabulous what you are doing here to make people aware of their history and ancestry.
    I joined after seeing the picture of St James Station and my boyfriend saying "See those steps, I have been down those hundreds of times"
    He works on the railway and has access to the platforms and an interesting series of rooms that originally would have housed the station master and other platform staff. The rooms are located on the left of the photograph under the arched bridge (called bridge 6 on the schematic) and apparently contain general rubbish left by railway staff. He has promised to take some pictures of the rooms and surrounding area next time he is on days.
    He thinks that if there was anything interesting such as signage or documents it would have been flogged by now but he will look anyway.



  7. #7
    bunf
    Guest bunf's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    I have been lurking for a few days and it is absolutely fabulous what you are doing here to make people aware of their history and ancestry.
    I joined after seeing the picture of St James Station and my boyfriend saying "See those steps, I have been down those hundreds of times"
    He works on the railway and has access to the platforms and an interesting series of rooms that originally would have housed the station master and other platform staff. The rooms are located on the left of the photograph under the arched bridge (called bridge 6 on the schematic) and apparently contain general rubbish left by railway staff. He has promised to take some pictures of the rooms and surrounding area next time he is on days.
    He thinks that if there was anything interesting such as signage or documents it would have been flogged by now but he will look anyway.




    wow!!!!!!!!!!

    thats monumental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    thats what i love about this forum! there is always someone who has some valuable info to share with everyone

    thanks again

    would love to see some pics!


  8. #8
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    I'm not an authority on Railways, but I've got some notes in my "Annals".

    The stations at St Michael's, Otterspool and Mersey Road (now Aigburth) opened in 1864.
    (I've no info on the others as far as Garston).

    Central Station and St James' Station opened in 1874, but I don't know where the trains terminated in the previous 10 years.
    It was said that St James Station was built for the congregation of St James Church, (which is just over the road), but that could be an urban myth.

    St James closed in 1916 and Otterspool closed in 1951.

    I think there was/is a book that tried to have photos of all Liverpool's stations.
    Central Library should know.

    This scan is from the OS map of 1890.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st_james_stn.jpg 
Views:	800 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	738  

  9. #9
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    fascinating philip.
    any idea what that book would be called and how old it is?

  10. #10
    Senior Member marky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Look for 'LIVERPOOL ST. JAMES' on this site for some info:
    http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/

  11. #11
    Senior Member ayjaykay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Look for 'LIVERPOOL ST. JAMES' on this site for some info:
    http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/
    Direct link: http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...es/index.shtml

  12. #12
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    yeah thats a good site, seen that before.
    They do some mad things thosE Sub Britannica people!
    I bet Jona is a member!

  13. #13
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    yeah thats a good site, seen that before.
    They do some mad things thosE Sub Britannica people!
    I bet Jona is a member!
    Hehe I'm not, but all the places in Liverpool that are 'managed' by Sub Brit, I have a very high up friend in Liverpool City Council who can get me in them.

    Sub Brit did contact me though when they heard about my underground adventures in the Air Raid Shelters next to Littlewoods on Edge Lane!

  14. #14
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Hehe I'm not, but all the places in Liverpool that are 'managed' by Sub Brit, I have a very high up friend in Liverpool City Council who can get me in them.

    Sub Brit did contact me though when they heard about my underground adventures in the Air Raid Shelters next to Littlewoods on Edge Lane!
    ohhh i knew you would some sort of involvement!! he he

    get me in these places too!!

  15. #15
    www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Kirkdale Station Old Photos

    Anyone got or knows how to get sum old photos of kirkdale station?

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. POWER STATIONS
    By phredd in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
  2. Police Stations/Bridewells of Liverpool
    By DaisyChains in forum Buildings and Structures
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
  3. Renamed liverpool stations
    By dt2thesequel in forum Liverpool's Road and Rail Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 05:34 PM
  4. Railway Stations of Merseyside
    By Kev in forum Buildings and Structures
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68