Thread: The Trial of James Maybrick - May 2007

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi all

The origin of the name "Battlecrease" -- the house where Florence and James Maybrick lived on Riversdale Road in Aigburth -- was the subject of a question on one of the Ripper forums, and in answer I came up with following information.

I have just had a chance to check Christopher Jones's excellent The Maybrick A to Z (Countyvise Limited, 2008) and the entry on Battlecrease states the following on page 78:

"The actual title 'Battlecrease' derived from an agricultural term and not a military one. Before the Maybricks moved in, the house had no distinguishing name, it was Florence Maybrick herself who provided its title."

So I was wrong when I thought the house was already named Battlecrease when the Maybricks moved into the house in early 1888. The building was previously used as a private club, according to Jones, but when the club got into financial difficulties, the building was divided for use as private homes, the half on the west side, what is now 7 Riversdale Road, being the part that became Battlecrease House.

In a post on JtR Forums Jones also wrote--

The term 'battlecrease' is an agricultural one, nothing to do with cricket or wars. Local paper reports at the time suggest that Florence gave the name to the house herself.

For those who may not be aware of it, Tony May has on YouTube some video that he took during the Maybrick Trial at the Liverpool Cricket Ground in May 2007 that includes Battlecrease House and shots taken around the city, including in St. George's Hall. Go to

The last video mainly features still pictures with an evocative spoken musical track by the talented Mr. May.

Enjoy

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I think that wherever Maybrick actually lived is totally irrelevent in talking about the Ripper Murders.