Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1980s & 1990s Liverpool.

Great pic Philip. The clock pub was almost opposite this, next to the two tenement blocks.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    What would you do if the end was nigh and did he mean the world or his own?

Williamson Square in the 1980s - pic with thanks to Joe Devine.

He was a pain in the arse (bum) in case ARSE gets wiped out by ****** Thingy's.

As I passed him, I used to say, "What right do you have to push your views down people's throats ?"

His stock answer was,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Only sinners mock - Get on the Lord's side."

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    He was a pain in the arse (bum) in case ARSE gets wiped out by ****** Thingy's.

As I passed him, I used to say, "What right do you have to push your views down people's throats ?"

His stock answer was,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Only sinners mock - Get on the Lord's side."
    That's your personal view Steven, but if there were more 'bible bashers' in the world, then maybe it really would be a better place.

It takes something (or madness) to stand up in town to preach the bible, but I'd rather see that than someone robbing an old lady.

PhilipG

Great pic Philip. The clock pub was almost opposite this, next to the two tenement blocks.
    I remember the Clock, and I took a photo the same Sunday evening I took this.
    There was also what looked like a pub on the corner of Kitchen Street.
    I've got the photos out & will scan them later.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    That's your personal view Steven, but if there were more 'bible bashers' in the world, then maybe it really would be a better place.

It takes something (or madness) to stand up in town to preach the bible, but I'd rather see that than someone robbing an old lady.
    My neighbour who is very religious keeps telling me that the reason why things are so bad now is because people have turned their back on God. There is, perhaps, some truth in this.

I can agree that, as Cadfael says, if there were people preaching rather than robbing it would be better.

However, Bible bashers CAN be a pain. I call them God botherers - 'cos they literally do 'bother'!
    My neighbour bothers me constantly to go to church and it has gotten to the point where I now avoid that person - 'cos they do not take no for an answer. I have religious leaflets pushed through my letter box and have even received phonecalls asking me to go to church !!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    My neighbour who is very religious keeps telling me that the reason why things are so bad now is because people have turned their back on God. There is perhaps some truth in this.

I can agree that, as Cadfael says, if there were people preaching rather than robbing it would be better.

However, Bible bashers can be a pain. I call them God botherers - 'cos they literally do 'bother'! My neighbour bothers me constantly to go to church and it has gotten to the point where I now avoid that person - 'cos they do not take no for an answer. I have religious leaflets pushed through my letter box and have even received phonecalls asking me to go to church !!

It's true that we've turned our backs on God.
    We used to think if we did bad we'd go to Hell, so we all had a conscience (actually it was fear).
    Now that it's difficult to believe in Heaven or Hell, or even God for that matter, the fear of Eternal Punishment has gone along with a lot of consciences.

That's true Philip as as we've seen on another thread, sometimes nuns and brothers used that fear to suit their own ends, however, the principal still stands that if we take the 10 commandments as the guidebook then it could only be utopia couldn't it?

Still don't know how god got Lindy's phone number though?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

[..........
    Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.

PhilipG

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Philip, that's amazing. I had no idea this was originally an arcade, and that it looked like that inside !

It should have been renovated to it's former glory. It could be a lovely little shopping area couldn't it.

DaisyChains

Philip, that's amazing. I had no idea this was originally an arcade, and that it looked like that inside !

It should have been renovated to it's former glory. It could be a lovely little shopping area couldn't it.
    I agree Lindy.

This photo is brilliant Philip. It's what I love about this board, little corners of Liverpool that I didn't know existed!

I wonder how we would find out if it was still there?

Was the photo taken when it had closed Philip?

Still don't know how god got Lindy's phone number though?
    118118 !!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    I agree Lindy.

This photo is brilliant Philip. It's what I love about this board, little corners of Liverpool that I didn't know existed!

I wonder how we would find out if it was still there?

Was the photo taken when it had closed Philip?
    I always like to think that I know most places - but this one has surprised me. I have often looked up at that building but I had no idea it had been an arcade.

What a bolt from the blue,I had no idea about this one either! I thought it was just offices originally,with a fancy front-but a shopping arcade! Thanks for posting,Philip. Is it bad that I thought it was Lord St in Southport until I scrolled down?

Ironic that one minute's walk away they are building a modern version of exactly that in the old HMV building,and yet "here's one that we made earlier" . Incidentally,there is a similar,if less impressive,little arcade in Bold St. that many probably walk past daily without noticing. It's a few blocks down from the top end,on the south side.

Dave.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast