Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
There is no Druids connection with Druid's Cross Rd as far as I know. The street was named after a house and estate of the same name which occupied the area in the 19th C.

Druid's Cross Rd forms the Wavertree township boundary in this part of Liverpool. This has been discussed earlier in the Wavertree thread. I think the school you refer to was a Girls' reformatory. I suspect it was probably in the old Druid's Cross House
The idea of Druids in the area probably originated (though historically incorrect) from the prehistoric Calder Stones, originally part of a small megalithic tomb. The Calder Stones were cited as a local landmark in a boundary dispute in 1568 and later set up in a circle in 1845. This low circular wall that contained the Calder Stones for more than a century still can be seen at the junction of Calderstones Road and Menlove Avenue not far from Druid's Cross Road. The stones themselves have now been set up in the conservatory in Harthill, Calderstones Park (see thread here on the Calder Stones).

Chris