YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allerton Area

Thanks

Default Allerton Area

I visited the Allerton Towers Park in Allerton a few days ago. Near the old stable block, I found an interesting old tunnel. Anyone any ideas what it was for. It seems to lead to a small enclosed space. I wondered if it might have been an old ice house.

ADVERTISING

Last edited by taffy; 04-16-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No idea, I've been here too and took some pics here plus the out houses. Fascinating place
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

I assume there must have been a hall there ?? I can't find any pictures of it on the internet. I wonder what it looked like ?
    I came across some family tree history about people who had lived at Allerton Tower but no info about the house.

Thanks

Default Allerton Towers

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I assume there must have been a hall there ?? I can't find any pictures of it on the internet. I wonder what it looked like ?
    I came across some family tree history about people who had lived at Allerton Tower but no info about the house.
    I've not seen a photo of Allerton Towers either. I suspect there will be one available at the Liverpool Record Office at the Central Library, William Brown St

theninesisters

Source - Liverpool Record Office.

Attachment 1951
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks

Default Allerton Towers

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post

Attachment 1951
    Thanks for the photo Jona76 !!

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Thanks for the photo Jona76 !!

Thanks

Thanks so much Jona at last we can see what it was like.

Thanks

Default Springwood Primary School, Danefield Road

This school has recently been demolished. Does anyone know what the letters on the first picture stand for?

Stone Dec 2006

October 2003

March 2004

August 2006

Thanks

Default Springwood School.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    This school has recently been demolished. Does anyone know what the letters on the first picture stand for?
    Possibly Springwood County School or Springwood Council School
    Last edited by taffy; 04-18-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Thanks

So this school is in Allerton...I knew the nearby church is classed as Allerton, but I wasn't sure of the school (L19...postcodes, eh, very unreliable).

Thanks

Default Springwood Allerton

So this school is in Allerton...I knew the nearby church is classed as Allerton, but I wasn't sure of the school (L19...postcodes, eh, very unreliable).
    Yes, as in discussions about Toxteth and Aigburth locations, post codes mean nothing other than they help the post office to deliver letters !!!

In rough terms, in this area the railway line is the boundary between Allerton and Garston but originally it was a stream which came off Mossley Hill itself and headed towards Garston and the River Mersey. There is a Garston district sign on Greenhill Rd sited directly on the railway bridge. This is one of the few new district signs that seem to be in the right place.

Interestingly Allerton Railway Station was actually just inside Garston !! Of course in these days of new district signs, West Allerton station is not in Allerton either but in Mossley Hill. Not true of course but that's another tale.

The names Allerton and Garston had legal defined boundaries as they formed townships in the Church of England parish of Childwall. these boundaries became the bounadries for in the mid 19th C for the newly formed Urban Sanitary districts and later ( 1895 or so) the Urban District Councils. I think Allerton Urban District council was absorbed into Liverpool as late the the early 1920s. Garston was absorbed in 1902.

Thanks

My car is minging because of all the demolition! I was going to ask one of the builders if I could have one of the heading stones but they worked a bit faster than I thought and I came home one day to just see a big pile of rubble there

Thanks

Does anyone know about any history of Druid's around the Druid's Cross area?

They owe me a spell book you see?

(note, I'm serious about the Druid question, the second sentence was for humor. )

Seems Druid;s Cross might be Wavertree though despite the area closer to Allerton. I found a link about an old girls school In Druid's cross and It said Wavertree after the writing.
    Last edited by Max; 04-18-2007 at 12:22 AM.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thanks

Default Druid's Cross Rd, Wavertree, Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Does anyone know about any history of Druid's around the Druid's Cross area?

They owe me a spell book you see?

(note, I'm serious about the Druid question, the second sentence was for humor. )

Seems Druid;s Cross might be Wavertree though despite the area closer to Allerton. I found a link about an old girls school In Druid's cross and It said Wavertree after the writing.
    There is no Druids connection with Druid's Cross Rd as far as I know. The street was named after a house and estate of the same name which occupied the area in the 19th C.

Druid's Cross Rd forms the Wavertree township boundary in this part of Liverpool. This has been discussed earlier in the Wavertree thread. I think the school you refer to was a Girls' reformatory. I suspect it was probably in the old Druid's Cross House

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    There is no Druids connection with Druid's Cross Rd as far as I know. The street was named after a house and estate of the same name which occupied the area in the 19th C.

Druid's Cross Rd forms the Wavertree township boundary in this part of Liverpool. This has been discussed earlier in the Wavertree thread. I think the school you refer to was a Girls' reformatory. I suspect it was probably in the old Druid's Cross House
    The idea of Druids in the area probably originated (though historically incorrect) from the prehistoric Calder Stones, originally part of a small megalithic tomb. The Calder Stones were cited as a local landmark in a boundary dispute in 1568 and later set up in a circle in 1845. This low circular wall that contained the Calder Stones for more than a century still can be seen at the junction of Calderstones Road and Menlove Avenue not far from Druid's Cross Road. The stones themselves have now been set up in the conservatory in Harthill, Calderstones Park (see thread here on the Calder Stones).

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks

Default SIREN

Probably not the right place to put this but something has been bugging me for years. Every morning at around 9 am, I can hear a air raid siren going off for about 20 secs. It is loud enough to hear in allerton indoors but i have no idea where it comes from. Does anybody know....

Thanks

Thanks

Its from Garston docks, I hear it if I am off work in the week, clear as abell and we are miles away

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theninesisters View Post

Attachment 1951
    What happened to this attachement? I would so love to see the picture.

Can anyone point me to where I can find out more about the history of Allerton Tower

Thanks

PhilipG

Stone Dec 2006

[/IMG]

Taffy's correct.
    The 1936 Kelly's says 'Springwood Council School'.

Thanks

Re: Springwood School,
    The way the 2 'Ss' overlapped the 'C', confused me into reading the stone as SSC.
    This school had a date stone of 1925 above one of the windows.

Here's a couple of links...the second site has some better pics of the old school.
    http://www.lmu.livjm.ac.uk/springwood/
    http://www.springwood.liverpool.sch.uk/
    Last edited by marky; 06-10-2007 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added links

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Allerton Area

HUNDREDS of residents and businesses are being consulted on the future of Liverpool’s Allerton Road.

The road – a thriving nightspot area – is described as “the jewel in the crown of south Liverpool”.

But there are concerns about the number of bars and restaurants springing up and about applications for late opening hours and increasing numbers of pavement cafés.

There are also fears vital neighbourhood services such as greengrocers, butchers and bakers could close down and be replaced by more bars.

The issue will be discussed at a neighbourhood meeting on Monday before a massive community consultation.

Wavertree neighbourhood committee chairman, Cllr Richard Kemp, said: “Allerton Road is still the jewel in the crown of south Liverpool, but it needs diversity.

“We believe the road has reached saturation point as regards licensed places.

“From the bank to the library, there are 15 licensed premises and some are double shops.

“In the last week alone, I’ve had five notifications from the planning department – one for an entirely new bar, one for an extension of hours and three for pavement cafés.

“We’re not saying we don’t want licensed premises. The road is great. It’s just getting the proportion right.

“Similarly we’re not against pavement cafés. But it’s where they’re appropriate and not taking up half the pavement.”

A report due to be discussed at Monday’s meeting says enforcement action is being taken against businesses currently using pavement areas, who are doing so without permission.

Residents are also concerned about late night noise.

Many of the venues are allowed to stay open until midnight under national licensing laws.

One man, who lives just off Allerton Road, said: “A lot of people are up in arms about it. This is a residential area.”

Cllr Kemp said he wants to get both residents and businesses involved in the debate.

An exhibition is planned for Allerton library and questionnaires and e-mails will be sent to homes in the area.

Monday’s meeting takes place at Mosspits Infants School, in Mosspits Lane, at 6.30pm.

IC liverpool
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Default Too many bars and eateries on Allerton Rd

Surely it's too late. The cat has been let out of the bag with respect to the number of caffs etc along Allerton Rd. In anycase, 10 years ago Allerton Rd was looking decidedly run down with several shops boarded up or let as charity shops. Perhaps the excess of caffs has to be the price the area pays for the absence of dereliction so common in many other Liverpool shopping areas.

Interesting to see this area coming under the Wavertree Neighbourhood for consultations purposes. This is of course correct though many think the shopping area of Allerton Rd must be in Allerton not least our erstwhile friends the much maligned estate agents
    Last edited by taffy; 09-08-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

Some nice looking cafes on Allerton.

They should keep Bars and late night stuff to a minimum outside the city centre.

Why the need for so many bars?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thanks

Default TESCO

On the subject of Allerton Rd, does anybody know when and if the expansion of Tesco will be happening, the old Astro Turf is starting to look very grotty. Also will there be any improvements to the junction outside Tesco, It's like a free for all on somedays, or to put it mildly, bloody dangerous.

Thanks

Re: Tesco, Mather Avenue/Rose lane...The last thing I heard was that Tesco was refused permission. They do have a habit of re-submitting Planning Applications, though.
    Just enter Tesco as the Applicant Name and see all recent Planning Applications:
    http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/environm...m_explorer.asp

Thanks

Thanks for that, I have had a look, it seems that was refused a long time ago. It seems strange they spend all the money relocating the astro turf, and laying new pitches etc to be refused planning permission. I am in favour of it purely on the basis of improving the current junction, car park and petrol station which I think everyone will agree is a nightmare. If you also think about it, they have pretty much the only petrol station in the Allerton area. It cannot handle the traffic it already does.

Thanks

Hi-we're looking for photos (especially vintage) of Allerton Hall, Clarkes Gardens, Allerton Golf Course areas for new website (Woolton.net).
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Have a good look through this thread, any I've posted you can use.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Default Air Raid Siren

My mother in law told me that the air raid siren is actually from over the water, she and her mother have lived under the bridge in Garston all their lives and she can remember it going off since she was a child.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast