Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
Spot on Lindy! Ken Dodd even predicted it would be burnt down - because he knew that property developers were interested... And so it came to pass... And there are so many other examples...

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

So, who reclaimed it for the 'labouring classes'? It does look a bit like the Port Sunlight housing erected by Lord Leverhulme for his soap workers. But who would be the enlightened philanthropist in this instance? -- I see there was a bottle factory nearby (Shades of Beryl Bainbridge?) ... but would that have been important enough to have had the funding for such a venture?... Anyone know?
I'd guess it was just a natural development, as the city expanded. The better off, moved further away from the growing industry, and their place was taken by the working classes. The development of social housing,like Eldon place,was pioneered by Liverpool, though this is later than St.Martins cottages,which were the first!

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
Some pics when the gates were open and nobody around.

The panoramic one went a bit squewiff ! !

Mart
Apparently, I used to get wheeled up there,in my pram,and parked up,while my older brother played footy!!