Quote Originally Posted by Blue70 View Post
I'm still tracing my Irish ancestors. They're a funny lot they used to marry in the C of E church then baptise the children in the RC church! Must have been cheaper or easier to marry C of E. At least they were'n't prejudiced like a lot people years ago.

There's a useful website called Liverpool History Projects that has RC records from the 1800s that includes a lot of people of Irish origin. It's fairly new it will eventually contain marriage and baptism information for the period when most Irish people came to Liverpool.

Col
It was British Law. They were forced to marry in CofE Churches because the marriage wasn't legal under British Law if it was in there own Church.

It was changed sometime in the 1900's I believe.

Just as an fyi, do you know right now in British Law a Muslim Hindu Sieke Jew etc etc etc, every religion can marry into the Royal Family and become Queen, any religion except Catholic, even now!

One of the 'heirs to the throne' married a Catholic in the 60's and had to forgo his right to the throne even though he was something like 200th odd in place.

Crazy eh?