Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
It would have been if it wasn't true - or that Maureen Cleeve hadn't misinterpreted how Lennon meant it.

Regarding another comment above. I'd say they never said look at me i'm a cheeky chappie from Liverpool, they were just from Liverpool which made them intrinsically what they were regarding their humour and cockiness. They never used the city to make a play on it.
you didn't put my quote in so i'll have to read it again to see how i worded it. i really didn't mean for it to sound like they were so hardnosed about it. i just mean i think it helped them - being from liverpool as the way they were did seem so funny & irreverent to ppl at the time but like you said thats just how young lads from liverpool are. we are reknowned for our sarcastic wit. so what i'm trying to say (though obviously not very well..!!) is that being from liverpool shaped them & made them so different at the time & so unique add that to their phenomenal talent & no wonder they were so popular. so to me with that in mind to then go on to **** off the city just seems churlish in the least.