The Sailors Home
The Sailors Home in Canning Place Liverpool was open from December 1850 until July 1969. The home was not only a magnificent building but played a pivotal role in establishing Liverpool as one of the Worlds most successful seaports following the dismantling of the slave trade.
The Liverpool Sailors’ Home project was launched at a public meeting called by Liverpool’s Mayor in October 1844.
The need for a Sailors’ Home had been identified: “to provide for seamen frequenting the port of Liverpool, board, lodging and medical attendance, at a moderate charge; to protect them from imposition and extortion, and to encourage them to husband their hard-earned wages; to promote their moral, intellectual, and professional improvement; and to afford them the opportunity of receiving religious instruction. A reading-room, library, and savings bank will be attached to the institution; and with a view to securing to the able and well-conducted seamen a rate of wages proportionate to his merits, a registry of character will be kept. Among the ulterior objects in contemplation are schools for sea-apprentices, and the sons of seamen, with special regard to the care of children who have lost one or both their parents receiving religious instruction.”
As well as providing safe accommodation for an average of 200 men each night, the home provided a vital service, introducing professional, experienced merchant seamen to captains of safe seaworthy vessels. This combined with the expansions of its docks, greatly improving the reputation and efficiency of Liverpool as a merchant port.
Sailors Home in it's original Location
The site as it is now