Victoria Building is a Grade II listed building which was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and completed in 1892. Alfred Waterhouse was also the Architect of the North Western Hotel, Liverpool, the Royal Liverpool Infirmary, and Newsham Park Hospital, Liverpool.
Victoria Building was the first purpose-built building for what was to become the University of Liverpool. The Building is constructed in Ruabon brick and common brick with terracotta dressings under a slate roof. It is an L-shaped building in three stories with 13 bays. The southerly eight bays have alternate gables and gabled dormers. The ninth bay forms the tower. It has an arched entrance over which is an oriel window and, above this, a three-light window. Over this are the royal coat of arms, a mosaic panel with an inscription and machicolation. The top stage has a four-face clock. At each angle of the tower are buttresses which rise to form pinnacles with lead spirelets. The end bays curve around behind an octagonal tower with a spire. Internally the entrance hall is faced in Burmantofts terracotta. An arcaded staircase leads to the first floor.
The Victoria Buildings Bell Tower
The Victoria Building was erected to celebrate Her Majesty, Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. This acclaimed historical building has been redeveloped into the University of Liverpool’s museum and art gallery, displaying the university’s collection of art and early medical equipment.
The rear of the Aflred Waterhouse main building with its gardens and sculpture.
Photograph Ged Fagan