YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Saints Church, Childwall

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default All Saints Church, Childwall

All Saints' Church

There are registers at All Saints that date from 1557. These are among the earliest in the country. The Norris family of Speke Hall use to attend here. There was once a weird 'child marraige' here in 1544 when Anne, a nine year old daughter William Whitfield was married to Thomas Fletcher aged ten. The reason? The boy's farther John was in debt and to get some money he, 'bargained his sonne to the said Whitfield's daughter.

ADVERTISING

YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

Kev.
    Next time you are passing, get a picture of the entrance gate, I think it is called a Lytch gate, I'll have to look that up. From what I remember there are not many examples left.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Kev.
    Next time you are passing, get a picture of the entrance gate, I think it is called a Lytch gate, I'll have to look that up. From what I remember there are not many examples left.
    This one?

YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

Thanks

No kev,hard to explain it, I will look for a pic of one.

http://www.history.uk.com/churches/index.php?archive=2

Scroll down, it is the gate with a roof on it.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Kev.
    you're right. There are not many about. If I'm not mistaken there may be one at the church in Port Sunlight village. (I don't know the name of the church). I'm sure a friend of mine mentioned it when we looking around there.

Thanks

Our church in Garston has got a Lych gate Kev. It's the gate up the side in Banks Road with the little roof over it. It was a resting place for the coffins. Did you manage to get inside All Saints? It really is interesting. There is still a wall from the medieval church and evidence of the piscina that the priest used to wash the chalice when the church was Catholic before the Reformation. There are brasses from the Norris family. There was no church between that one and Prescot in the middle ages and you can still see the church at Prescot from the car park next to All Saints. There is a resting place for the coffins there and the hatchments inside are really interesting. The church is quite often open and it is well worth a look to see how we used to live (well not my ancestors cos we were poor).

Take a picture of our church lych gate - our church is great.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast