From the Wartime Website http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...s-shelter.html
Today is the 70th Anniversary of this event.
Holy Cross church stood on Standish street with the huge presbytery attatched to it on Great Crosshall street.The school was located in nearby Addison Street and was used as a air raid shelterwhere people would go into the basement for safety. On the night of 3rd May 1941 the sirens rang and many people made their way to the shelter. The planes came and the bombing raid began. The church and school were both hit causing terrible damage. The school took a direct hit from a parachute mine resulting in the deaths of many of those in the shelter. People who came to the rescue tried to move the rubble with their bare hands in an attempt to help those trapped below. The victims had been sheltering underneath the boys building at the school. The girls building was also being used to protect people and those who came here remained untouched by the bombing.Both the church and school were demolished and later rebuilt, the church reopening in 1954. Sadly the church closed in 2002 and was demolished in 2004. The school has also been replaced by a new building.