YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can anyone help me?

researching for a book nynysuts's Avatar
    Thanks

Default can anyone help me?

I am researching for a book i may write about Liverpool in the 1970s/early 80s, and i was wondering if anybody could help me. I would like to know if anybody has any accounts of:
    -being moved away to make room for blocks of flats
    -people losing their jobs at the docks, and also what type of jobs were done by a school leaver
    -the Toxteth riots
    -the city becoming metropolitan
    -what leisure activities a 15/16year old would do
    -how unemployment effected families
    -how young mothers were looked upon.

If anybody can help me with ANY of these things, however great or small, i will be eternally grateful. I am a new, young author and this is my first stab at writing something that is not about the second world war. I want the book to show real life in the 1970s especially from the point of view of teenagers. think Blood Brothers and you're almost there. Thank you very much for your time, I look forward to hearing your replies!

ADVERTISING

PhilipG

There's always old newspapers to read.
    4th floor of the library in William Brown Street.

Thanks

Hiya nynysuts. Blocks of flats were all usually built by then and it was people in fact being moved out of them to make way for the Kingsway tunnel and inner city ringroads etc - the breaking up of Communities.

Good accounts of the Toxteth riots can be googled. My recollections of it are that Ghost Town by the Specials was eerily at No.1 that summer and living near to St. Anne street police station there were police being coached in from other counties to help deal with it. My mates and I mosied on up towards Toxteth to see what was going on but were stopped by police on Clarence st pfft.

The stop and search sus law was prevalent and we used to walk through St. John's precint of a night - out of boredom and were forever stopped by the bizzies, one of my mates who was a mod has a fishtail parka with loads of badges on it ala Quadophenia and as a copper grabbed his lapel, so a couple of badges came off and went down a grid - tut tut said the copper, the rest of us grinned.

16 year old were ushered into Maggies new YOP/YTS/WEP schemes, varying each year between being called Youth opportunity programmes, Youth training schemes or Work expreience Programmes. I was first an apprentice mechanic, then a warehouse/storeman, then a jobber working on a site, then an office junior - doing the round with a shipping firm, delivering and collecting Bills of lading. If you were lucky, the boos would keep you on after the 6 months were up but many abused it as cheap labour.

Oh and in 1980 - Gerard celebrated his 30th.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

researching for a book nynysuts's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh, Ged, that is fantastic! Thank you so much! Another thing i forgot to put was what were houses like at that time? by this how many bedrooms, how small. I'm talking terraced houses here. Thank you all for reading this! Nyika

Thanks

Nyika, terraced houses are terraced houses, they ain't changed in donkeys years. Small, two up two down usually. I think estate agents call them cosy and compact, it really means tiny but many have them as palaces inside.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks

There are so many different types of houses: two up & two downs as Ged says, then there were terraces with 3 bedrooms that didn't have the outside toilet - they had a bathroom.
    Most terraced houses have back yards but there are those with little gardens - usually to the front of the house ( like the ones in Cherry lane)
    Council houses of course having gardens back and front.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast