YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roads

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Roads

165 jobs hope at £7m airport business site. WORK is about to begin on a £7m development at the former Speke Aerodrome terminal complex. The three-acre scheme will occupy the cleared site of a large hangar on Banks Road and will offer 50,000 sq ft of space combining office and business accommodation. The project is being developed by Leeds-based regeneration firm, Priority Sites, working closely with regeneration agency, Liverpool Land Development Company. It is anticipated that the development will create up to 165 jobs when occupiers move in. more

This plus the Matchworks 2 development opposite plus the development of The Old Firestation, plus the massive factories further down for that print factory plus the widening of the road have all made Banks Road, Garston a mess for residents attempting to leave their homes any time of the day. The road id full of mud, its choker busy with the retail park anyway!!

ADVERTISING

Good news on the jobs front and regeneration, but not for 'ickle old me
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

A.D.Williams

Those roadworks are taking the mickey, Kev. How many times must they close one lane of Speke Road? Why did they not work over the Easter break to finish the work on a major road into the downtown area?

Not impressed!!

Gnomie

Edge Lane is to start work tommorrow on the road widening scheme. It is believed the work will take over 1 year.

Old swan cant take anymore traffic ,its bad enough as it is. Now us and Wavertree will get most of Edge lanes traffic. This council is mad

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The amount of plants they are ripping up is terrible. The retail park causes jams all the way along speke rd and in the oposite by the new PC World.
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    165 jobs hope at £7m airport business site. WORK is about to begin on a £7m development at the former Speke Aerodrome terminal complex. The three-acre scheme will occupy the cleared site of a large hangar on Banks Road and will offer 50,000 sq ft of space combining office and business accommodation. The project is being developed by Leeds-based regeneration firm, Priority Sites, working closely with regeneration agency, Liverpool Land Development Company. It is anticipated that the development will create up to 165 jobs when occupiers move in. more

This plus the Matchworks 2 development opposite plus the development of The Old Firestation, plus the massive factories further down for that print factory plus the widening of the road have all made Banks Road, Garston a mess for residents attempting to leave their homes any time of the day. The road id full of mud, its choker busy with the retail park anyway!!

Good news on the jobs front and regeneration, but not for 'ickle old me
    Took the 86A ages to get past the New Mersey. Getting onto Speke Road (Airport Bound) off Horrocks Avenue is a nightmare! Must have taken an extra 15mins to get through it all. normally, the bus cruises along!

Surely Edge Lane is alright the way it is. If the light's at Durning Roadwern't there, then there would be no problem. Personally, the junction should be moved to Beech Street so that Sheil Road Traffic doesn't need to use Holt Road. I would then Pedestrianise Holt Road so that the shops can be easlily accessed on foot. I would also clean the brickwork up and put some awnings on the shop fronts too. The lighting could be changed but to be honest, I don't think that is needed.

Durning Road would be blocked off and traffic would use Botanic Road instead. It looks just as wide as Durning Road and so should be more than capable to take on the extra traffic.

The Grand Houses on Edge Lane would then remain intact and I would try to get Urban Splash in to revovate the properties. This would require the demolision of Royston Street so that the properties can have sizaeable back gardens and off street parking. Something people want in a inner city envionment!

That would be my plan for Edge Lane anyway. Seems the most realistic rather than pulling everyting down and moving people out of their homes.
    Last edited by wallasey; 07-16-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Our Roads

THE pothole-riddled road around Liverpool's historic Sefton Park would need a £4m injection of cash to cure the problem, city councillors have been told. more

I can confirm the road is appauling and falls apart literally under your wheels, with new holes appearing daily and getting wider. My poor mini doesnt stand a chance

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

A.D.Williams

What about the road works at the top of Banks Road by the old fire station? Just how long does it take to put in a few new traffic lights? Not happy at all Kev!!!

Thanks

We just had our road redone and potholes sorted .

Hate Potholes though and lumpy roads were trees grow into the ground cracking it.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A.D.Williams View Post
    What about the road works at the top of Banks Road by the old fire station? Just how long does it take to put in a few new traffic lights? Not happy at all Kev!!!

Yes I know, we can't even get out of our rd during busy times. The build up of traffic along speke rd to the retail park too is atrocious.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Those roadworks are taking the mickey, Kev. How many times must they close one lane of Speke Road? Why did they not work over the Easter break to finish the work on a major road into the downtown area?

Not impressed!!

Dave, the surface seems near complete, they seem to have pulled their fingers out over the last few days. All that is needed now is the rd markings and a tidy up, at last!!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks
    Blog Entries

MOTORISTS are being urged to avoid Lime Street from today as the latest phase of the Big Dig gets under way. more

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Lightbulb Rocket Flyover - Queens Drive

This is probably the busiest junction in Liverpool and is a notorious accident blackspot. The main problem is the flyover which has six ground supports which take up alot of road space underneath the flyover.
    I think it would be a good idea for the flyover to be completely replaced with a suspension bridge/flyover similair to the new bridge in southport. (see images below)

This would mean that the flyover would probably only need two ground supports, one at either end, rather than the existing six. The rest of the flyover would be supported by the suspension cables. The main difference would be that the flyover might need two cable supports, one at either end, rather than just the one seen on the bridge in southport, although i'm not an engineer so I wouldn't know.

This would free-up much needed road space underneath the bridge so that major improvements could be made to make the junction safer, more modern and give it the ability to handle large amounts of traffic with ease.
    This junction is only going to get busier over the coming years.
    Last edited by AK1; 05-23-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

SOME of Liverpool’s most pot-holed roads are finally going to be repaired, at a cost of £180,000.

But council officials today said bringing the historic streets around Sefton Park up to a fully modern standard would cost more than £4m.

The roads, including Mossley Hill Drive, Croxteth Drive and Aigburth Drive, have been allowed to run into disrepair because they are unadopted, which means the council is not responsible for their upkeep.

But officials today said to bring them up to adoptable standard, they would need new drains, lighting, road surfaces, kerbs and footpaths.

They estimate the work could cost at least £3m-£4m because the roads are in a conservation area.

But as part of the Look of the City programme, devised to spruce up Liverpool before Capital of Culture next year, £180,000 has been set aside to carry out “interim treatment”.

A council report says: “At this time, there are unfortunately no funding sources that would assist the city in contributing to bring the roads across Sefton Park, that are part-owned by the city, to an adoptable standard, but efforts will continue to made to secure such funding.”

Green Party councillor John Coyne who represents St Michael’s, described the council’s proposals as “a double-edged sword”.

He said: “It will make it a safer place to cycle and drive in the short term, but it will also make it a faster road surface and more dangerous.

“I would suggest that residents who live in Aigburth Drive get together with highways officers and find a way of using the money to narrow the road.

“If the road is narrower, then there is less of it to resurface, and it will bring speed down and reduce the flow of traffic, which is better.

“The issue is not just to throw money at it and deal with the surface of the carriageway. We need to change the way it is used.”

michellefiddler@liverpoolecho.co.uk

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

The problem with Aigburth Drive is that it is used as a rat run during rush hour and cars tear along it. It's a wide road and if you are trying to cross it with a young family to get into the park or you have mobility problems it can be quite unpleasant. Thinking about it, people drive too quickly along this road period. The potholes are the only thing slowing them down! Perhaps traffic 'calming' measures might be useful once they have been filled in?

Thanks

"Chicane-like" traffic calming and double white lines, plus pedestrian crossing points are needed on Aigburth Drive.
    If the road is narrowed it will lead to "on pavement parking", another danger for pedestrians to negotiate.

Just my thoughts. I do not live in the area, but I visit it about once per week for a walk in the park.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Thanks

Thumbs up Rocket Junction

ROCKET JUNCTION IN LINE FOR MAJOR FACELIFT

An important junction on the key eastern gateway into Liverpool city centre is in line for a major facelift.

Liverpool Land Development Company has unveiled plans to transform the Rocket
    junction at the end of the M62 motorway with a range of measures that will improve
    its appearance both during the day and at night.

The project provides safety and security improvements and will involve cleaning and treating the imposing Queens Drive flyover and the installation of new artwork and feature lighting.

The subways will be refurbished and enhanced with new security features, while the
    carriageways will be upgraded with new traffic signals, signage and road markings.

Enhanced crossing points, tree and hedgerow planting, the replacement of pedestrian fencing and improved street furniture are also part of the plans.

Subject to planning approvals, work on the scheme will begin as early as next month, which will mean the 20-week contract should be complete by the end of December in time for the start of Liverpool’s Capital of Culture year.

Most of the work will be undertaken during the day, but some work will need to be carried out at night due to access restrictions.

Inevitably a scheme of this nature will cause some traffic disruption. However, every
    effort will be made to keep delays to a minimum.

Commenting on the plans Liverpool Land Development Company Chief Executive, Ian Hassall, said: “The Rocket junction is an important gateway to Liverpool and provides many visitors with their first impression of the city.

“For many years there have been calls for this area to be improved and this project
    will create a unique and exciting entrance to Liverpool.

“It will also significantly improve the local environment for people living and working in the area,” added Mr Hassall.

Over the next few weeks LLDC will keep residents and businesses fully informed on what works will be carried out and how this will impact on them. The project will complement the other improvements which are currently in progress along the Edge Lane corridor.

Representatives will be available in Oakvale Church Hall, Edge Lane Drive on Friday 27th July 2007 from 6pm to 8pm to discuss the plans and answer any questions regarding the scheme. Please visit http://www.edgelane.info for more images and information.

Thanks

Default roadworks

Has anyone reached the end of their tether? My job involves driving round the city as well as to/from work and I'm running into them all the time. It took me 20 minutes to get through the junction of Queens Dv and Muirhead Ave before, as 3 lanes are going into 1. Add that to the various city centre shenanigans, Edge Lane, Kirkdale Road, now the Rocket, recent stuff on the East Lancs and County Rd and I wonder where it will all end. Part of me is saying its years of neglect in the past by the council and they are now catching up before everything collapses. But when I'm sat in a jam another says there seems to be an aggressive campaign by the council to drive the motorist away. What do others think.

Thanks

My husband is driving around all day - he says everywhere you go there is digging and cones.

All those places you mention - and the East Lancs rd has been in a mess for ages. It really adds to the stress of getting about in your daily work.
    Last edited by lindylou; 07-26-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Gerard

""""
    Last edited by Gerard; 08-14-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks

Ha,ha, one of them would be ideal

Thanks

I see traffic jams all around...Edge Lane is a good area to watch the drivers getting frustrated. I'll photograph a few examples of tailbacks next time I see them.

Thanks

Roadworks don't bother me really. They can be a bit annoying sometimes, but at the end of the day they are there to improve the roads and carry out essential maintenance.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'd stay away from Sefton Park at the mo. They have begun resurfacing it.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Cadfael

The best thing they can do with the Rocket is to knock it down.

But yet again, LCC will probably spend millions titivating it trying to make it look like it's going for a major re-design when like Edge Lane, all they'll do is to paint some road markings and probably put new kerbstones on.

The biggest problem with the Flyover is that it isn't actually needed. To get from Fiveways/Queens Drive to the other side, you can go through the lights - in both directions. So apart from carrying traffic over because you're too lazy to stop for the lights, it really doesn't do much else.

You can't polish a t*rd I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I'd stay away from Sefton Park at the mo. They have begun resurfacing it.
    With grass I hope.

Oh sorry, d'ya mean the perimeter road ?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    The best thing they can do with the Rocket is to knock it down.

But yet again, LCC will probably spend millions titivating it trying to make it look like it's going for a major re-design when like Edge Lane, all they'll do is to paint some road markings and probably put new kerbstones on.

The biggest problem with the Flyover is that it isn't actually needed. To get from Fiveways/Queens Drive to the other side, you can go through the lights - in both directions. So apart from carrying traffic over because you're too lazy to stop for the lights, it really doesn't do much else.

You can't polish a t*rd I'm afraid.
    You can go through the lights, but the flyover does stop congestion from forming underneath. If it was taken away the traffic would be alot worse.

Thanks

There are signs gone up informing motorists that Holt Road (between Edge Lane and Kensington) is to be closed for 3 weeks from the 15th. Does anybody know why?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Nope, but last night was rediculous and I'm noticing that on my way home from work recently that it is becomming gridlocked along nearly every route into and out of the city more and more. Last night, Smithdown was chocker, Eggy Rd was chocker as was Garston Way, The Tunnels were too blah blah.

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Nope, but last night was rediculous and I'm noticing that on my way home from work recently that it is becomming gridlocked along nearly every route into and out of the city more and more. Last night, Smithdown was chocker, Eggy Rd was chocker as was Garston Way, The Tunnels were too blah blah.
    This morning was not much better, Sefton Park is being re surfaced so there are temp. lights. I tried to go the other way around the park but the Queens' drive junction was choked with traffic and then the Collage had 4 coaches parked outside which did not help
    Last night the tunnels were blocked by a spillage of Caramel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast