YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 6 of 19

Thread: Liverpool Street Name Origins

  1. #1
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,504
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Liverpool Street Name Origins

    The origins of the street names of Liverpool

    Abercromby Square
    Was named after Sir Ralph Abercromby who was killed in 1801 at Alexandria, Egypt, after he had successfully landed his forces at Aboukir.

    Ackers Hall Avenue
    Named after the Hall, to which the avenue led, the Dower House of Lady Molyneaux, widow of Sir Patrick Molyneaux 1568.

    Addison Street
    Named after Joseph Addison, poet, essayist and statesman
    Was originally Sickman?s Lane, in times of plague the sick were kept isolated from the rest of the towns people, in cabins in the area, or Deadman?s Lane the poor being buried in the vicinity.

    Albert Parade
    Adjacent to the Albert dock, named after Prince Albert, Victoria?s Consort.

    Anfield Road
    The name is derived from Hangfield, which was the original name of Breckfield Road North.

    Argyle Street
    Named after John, Duke of Argyle.

    Ashton Street
    Named after John Ashton a well-known slave trader.

    Atherton Street
    Named after the Atherton Family, who donated the land to the town, the family was involved in the slave trade.


    Athol Street
    Named after the Duke of Athol, who was given the freedom of the city in 1737

    Baltimore Street
    Given its name by a merchant Mr. Hunter from Liverpool, who laid out the street, who was engaged in the Virginian tobacco trade.

    Banastre Street
    Named after General Sir Banastre Tarleton MP, who fought in the American war of independence. Tarleton defended the slave trade in Parliament.

    Bank Street
    One of the original Streets, probably named for the embankment that ran along its length, changed to Water Street in the 16th century.

    Bankhall Street
    Named after the second home of the Moore family, the hall was demolished in 1770.

    Basnett Street
    Named after Christopher Basnett the minister of Key Street Chapel, the street was laid out in 1770.

    Bath Street
    Named after the Seawater baths built on the riverfront in 1765, the baths were demolished in 1817 to make way for the Princes dock.

    Beaufort Street
    Named for the Duke of Beaufort who was the guardian of William Molyneux, 1st Earl of Sefton who was orphaned at the age of eight.

    Beloe Street
    Named after the Civil engineer Charles Beloe, Liberal representative for the Abercromby Ward.

    Benson Street
    Named after the Benson Family.

    Bentley Road
    Named after the cottage in Lodge Lane, which was to be the last home of William Roscoe, who died there in 1831.

    Berry Street
    Named after the towns second dock engineer Henry Berry.

    Bixteth Street
    Named after Thomas Bixteth Mayor of Liverpool 1701.

    Blackburne Place
    Named after John Blackburne, Mayor of Liverpoolin1760, who had a house on the land, Blackburne House. Blackburne was also involved in the slave trade.

    Blake Street
    Named after Admiral, Robert Blake, commander of the Parliamentary forces during the Civil war.

    Bold Street
    Was named after Jonus Bold who held the lease for the land during the 18th century, he was also a merchant in the slave trade.

    Bolton Street
    Named after John Bolton a wealthy merchant of the town, reported to have fought and won the last reported duel in Liverpool.

    Botanic Road
    Was home to the second botanical gardens.

    Boundary Street
    It marks the ancient boundary between Liverpool and Kirkdale.

    Breck Road
    The word Breck is derived from and old English word meaning uncultivated land.

    Breckfield Road North
    Was Hangfield Lane, meaning an ancient division of land.

    Bridge Alley
    Named After Thomas Bridge a drunken fellow according to Edward Moore.

    Bridgewater Street
    Commemorates the opening of the Bridgewater Canal in 1773.

    Bridport Street
    Named after Admiral, Lord Bridport, the brother of Lord Hood, who was second in command on the ?Glorious First of June?, when the French were defeated in 1794, west of Ushant.

    Brodie Avenue
    Named after city engineer (1898-1925) John Alexander Brodie, inventor of football goal nets and pre-fabricated houses.

    Bronte Street
    Named after an estate in Everton, owned by wine merchant Mr, Woodhouse

    Brooks Alley
    Named after the Brooks family whose garden the alley was laid through. Joseph Brooks was an 18th century slave trade merchant.

    Brougham Terrace
    Named after Henry Peter, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux, Lord Chancellor of England.

    Brownlow Hill and Street
    One of the ancient meanings of the word low is hill, so Brownlow simply means Brown hill.

    Brunswick Road
    Originally Folly Lane, is said to have been given the name Brunswick through a mistake, when one of the workmen, who was sympathetic to Caroline the Consort of George IV, chalked the name Brunswick Place on the sign. The senior painter on returning saw the name and thinking a person in authority had changed it copied it. Brunswick place was to later become Brunswick road.

    Button Street
    Named after John Button the Leaseholder when the street was laid out in 1722. Buttons claim to fame was that he had lived during the reign of six different Monarchs.

    Byrom Street
    Previously named Towns End Lane, the name for the end of Dale Street, then Dog Kennel Lane after the neighbouring corporation housed its kennels there, it was renamed Byrom Street after George Byrom, a pavior and builder, who had a yard nearby.

    Cable Street
    First mentioned in the Municipal records of 1701, probably named for the rope and cable making industry that was evident in the street at the time.

    Camden Street
    Named after Sir Charles Pratt, 1st Earl of Camden, Lord Chancellor1766-70, and president of the council.

    Campbell Street
    First called Pot House Lane, then named after George Campbell who was Mayor in 1763,
    Campbell was a slave trader, as well as a sugar merchant.

    Canning Place
    Is situated on the site of the Old Dock and is named after George Canning MP.

    Carver Street
    Named after Mr Carver who was a steward to the Earl of Derby

    Cases Street
    Named after Thomas Case brother-in-law to Sarah Clayton.


    Castle Hill
    Named for its Proximity to the Castle, the great English author Daniel Defoe is said to have stayed in the house of Samuel Done which was one of the houses situated in the Street.

    Carpenters Row
    Commemorates the shipwrights of the neighbouring shipyards


    Castle Street
    One of the original Streets, named after the castle erected in the thirteenth century.

    Catherine Street
    Named after the Mother of William Jones, who was the first to build a house on the Street.

    Cazneau Street
    Named after Joseph Cazneau a merchant, who was the first to build a house on the Street.

    Chadwick Street
    Named After one of the owners of the local Limekiln.

    Chapel Street
    Another of the original Streets named not for the Church of St Nicholas but for the Chapel of St Mary Del Quay, built at Least 100 years before St Nicholas.

    Chatham Street
    Named after William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, Known as ?The Great Commoner?.

    Christian Street
    Named after the Potter Philip Christian who was reputed to have been the first to erect a house on the Street.



    Church Street
    Named after St Peters church the Pro-Cathedral between the years 0f 1880-1922, the church was the oldest building in Twentieth century Liverpool, before being demolished.

    Clarence Street
    Named after the Duke of Clarence. (Who was later to become, William IV,) in recognition of the support he gave in favour of the slave trade. In 1799, the city conferred on him the freedom of the borough.

    Clayton Square
    Named after Sarah Clayton who designed it, C. 1745, Sarah was the Daughter of William Clayton MP.


    Cleveland Square
    Named after John Cleveland mayor of Liverpool 1703 and MP from 1710-1713.

    Coal Street
    Takes its name from the coal market that was held on the corner of Market Street, with the weighing machine for the coal being in Coal Street

    Cockspur Street
    The site of one of Liverpool?s cock fighting pits.

    Colquitt Street
    Named after John Colquitt a Customs collector.

    Commutation Row
    Named after an incident in the days of the Window tax. Because the residents of the Row had to pay tax on each individual pane of glass, they decided to make the few they had as large as possible, which was to lead to a dispute with the Inland Revenue. A "Commutation" or agreement being reached resolved the situation, hence the name.

    Concert Street
    Named after the concert hall that stood on the corner

    Cook Street
    This Street was mentioned as early as the fifteenth century, and was probably named for cook?s premises that once occupied the site.

    Combermere Street
    Named after Lt General Stapleton Cotton 1st Viscount, Combermer, Governor of Barbados. Given the freedom of the city for his wartime service.

    Copperas Hill
    Named for the copper works that was situated in the Street, the works were forced to move (1756) due to the foul smell, the name however remained.

    Cornwallis Street
    Named after Charles 1st Marquis Cornwallis, Governor General of India, who negotiated the peace of Amiens in 1802.

    Cresswell Street
    Named after Justice Creswell, MP for Liverpool from 1837-42.

    Cropper Street
    Named after James Cropper a shipping Merchant, Pacifist and Quaker.

    Crosshall Street
    Named after the family residence of the Crosse family, the house once stood on the site of the Municipal buildings.

    Croxteth Road
    Named after the Earl of Sefton?s home Croxteth Hall


    ADVERTISING





    Cumberland Street
    Named as a memorial to the regiment of Liverpool volunteers who under the command of the Duke of Cumberland defended Carlisle against the rebels.


    Cunliffe Street
    Named after Foster Cunliffe, who was Mayor of Liverpool in 1716/29/ 35, Cunliffe was a merchant whose epitaph described him as being a man of Honesty and diligence, a credit to his country and himself, a magistrate who administered justice impartially, and a devout Christian, however his epitaph neglected to mention that he was involved in one of the most heinous crimes of the century, the slave trade.

    Customhouse Lane
    Led to the site of the third customhouse, built close to the Old Dock.

    Dale Street
    Another of the original Street?s probably named for the Dale, which it ran through.

    Dawson Street
    Named after Pudsey Dawson co-founder of Liverpool?s blind school, Mayor in 1799, Colonel of the Royal Liverpool Volunteers.

    Daulby Street
    Named after Daniel Daulby, who owned the land, he was the
    Husband to the only sister of William Roscoe.

    Deane Street
    Named after Richard Deane who owned a Ropery on the site.

    Denison Street
    Named after William Denison part owner of a Privateer.


    Derby Square
    Named after the Earls of Derby, site of Liverpool castle, present site of the Victoria monument.



    Dorans Lane
    Named after Felix Doran an Irish Merchant, who lived in Lord Street, Doran was prominent in the Slave trade, making a profit on one sale alone of ?28,000.

    Drury Lane
    Was originally Entwhistle Street named after the Drury Theatre designed and erected by Thomas Steers.

    Dublin Street
    Named after the Dublin Steam Packet Company that had their berth close by.

    Duke Street
    Named after the Duke of Cumberland, the brother of King George II.

    Duncan Street
    Originally Hotham Street, re-named Duncan Street in honour of Admiral Adam, Viscount Duncan, for his victory over the Dutch Admiral De Winter, off Camperdown.

    Durning Road
    Named after William Durning a wealthy merchant of the town.
    Was originally Rake Lane.

    Earle Road
    Named after the Earle Family, merchants in the slave trade.

    Eberle Street
    Named after William Eberle, town caterer for sixteen years.
    Originally William Street

    Edge Lane so called for its position along the edge of the township, being the dividing line between West Derby and Wavertree.

    Edmund Street
    Was Mill House Lane, changed by Sir Cleave Moore in honour of his new bride Ann Edmund.

    Eldon Street
    Named after John Scott, 1stEarl of Eldon, Lord Chancellor, who held office from 1801-27.

    Elliott Street
    Is named after Sir George Augustus Elliot the defender of Gibraltar.

    Erskine Street
    Named after Thomas Erskine Lawyer, who was appointed Lord Chancellor in 1806.

    Exchange Flags takes its name from the flagstones that used to cover the Square.

    Exchange Street East
    One of the original Streets known as Juggler Street, High Street, the exchange was the site of the present Town Hall.

    Falkner Square
    Laid out by Edward Falkner who had intended calling it Wellington Square, it was nicknamed Falkners Folly as it was deemed to be too far out of town.

    Falkner Street
    Was originally known as Crabtree lane, but was renamed Falkner Street after Edward Falkner, who it was said raised a thousand men in under one hour for the defence of the town, when the French threatened to invade.

    Farnworth Street
    Named after John Farnworth Mayor of Liverpool 1865.


    Fazakerley Street
    Was Rosemary Lane, re-named for the family through whose land the new street was laid.

    Fenwick Street
    Named after the first wife of Edward Moore, Dorothy Fenwick the daughter of William Fenwick, of Meldon Hall.

    Fontenoy Street
    Named after the battle of Fontenoy, it is the only street in Liverpool to commemorate a British defeat.

    Fox Street
    Named after Charles Fox, a Whig, who was Foreign Secretary in the ?Ministry of all Talents?.

    Frederick Street
    Named after Frederick Louis, Duke of Edinburgh, the father of George III

    Gambier Terrace
    Named after Admiral James Gambier commander of the British fleet at Copenhagen 1807.

    Gascoyne Street.
    Named after Issac Gascoyne, Liverpool MP, Gascoyne defended the slave trade in Parliament.

    George Street
    After Prince George of Denmark, Consort of Queen Anne.

    Gibraltar Row
    Named after the siege of Gibraltar 1779-83.

    Gildart Street/ Gardens
    Named after Richard Gildart, Mayor and MP (1734-1754) for Liverpool. Gildart was also a merchant in the slave trade.

    Gilmoss Lane
    Named after the many mosses that surrounded the town


    Gore Street
    Named after John Gore compiler of Liverpool?s first Directory, and publisher of the newspaper, Gore's Liverpool Advertiser.

    Goree Piazzas
    Goree was a bare rock off the Cape Verde Islands where slaves were assembled for transport.

    Gower Street
    Named after Sir John Gower, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster

    Grafton Street
    Named after the Whig Premier, the Duke of Grafton.

    Grayson Street
    Named after Edward Grayson a Shipwright of the town who was killed in a duel in 1804.

    Great Charlotte Street
    Named for the Consort of George II, Charlotte

    Great George Square
    The statue of George III, was to have been erected here, however insufficient funds were raised, and the sculpture which was finished many years later now stands in Monument Place , London Road.

    Great Howard Street
    Named after John Howard, builder of the town Gaol.

    Great Newton Street
    Named after John Newton a former slave Captain who became one of its greatest opponents. Wrote the hymns Amazing Grace and How Sweet the name of Jesus.

    Greenland Street
    Named for the towns whaling industry, whose industry was based close to the street.

    Grenville Street South
    Originally Leveson Street, changed to Grenville Street after an horrific murder took place there, Lord Grenville was responsible for introducing the bill for the abolition of the slave- trade in 1807.

    Hackin?s Hey
    Named after John Hacking a tenant of Sir Edward Moore.

    Hall Street
    Named after the Moore residence that once stood on the site, by 1633 it had become known as Old Hall Street.

    Hanover Street
    Named after the reigning family of the time, originally King Street.

    Hardman Street
    Named after John Hardman who owned the Land, he was also involved in the slave trade.

    Hardy Street
    Named after Thomas Masterman Hardy captain of Nelsons flagship at Trafalgar

    Harrington Street
    This was originally called Castle Hey, but was later changed when the land became the property of the Harrington family.

    Hatton Garden
    Named after the Village of Hatton, Near Warrington, the home of the Johnson brothers who owned the land.

    Hawke Street
    Named after Admiral Edward Hawke, 1ST Baron Hawke, who sank the French fleet at Quiberon Bay, so ending their plans for invasion. According to Smollett he was the Father of the Navy.

    Heyworth Street
    Named after James Heyworth who built the first house in the Street.

    High Street
    Originally Juggler Street, one of the original streets.

    Hockenhall Street
    Named after a relative of the Moore family Henry Hockenhall who owned property on the site.

    Holt Road
    Named after George Holt the son-in-law of Mr Durning who owned the land.

    Hood Street
    Named after Rear Admiral Samuel, Lord Hood, for his services to his country.

    Hope Street
    Named after William Hope a merchant who built the first house on the site where the Philharmonic now stands.

    Hotham Street
    Named after Admiral William Hotham, 1st Baron Hotham, who saw action with Rodney, Howe and hood

    Hunter Street
    Named after Rowland Hunter a tax collector of the town.

    Hurst Street
    Named after Thomas Hurst a shipwright of the town who was granted land in 1710.

    Huskisson Street
    Named after William Huskisson MP for Liverpool, Huskisson was the first person to be killed in a rail accident.

    James Street
    Originally Saint James Street it was changed to James Street in the seventeenth century.

    Johnson Street
    Named after Sir Thomas Johnson, MP for Liverpool for 21 years, a leading figure behind the construction of Liverpool?s first commercial dock (1715), Pioneer of the slave trade who also transported prisoners to the plantations, died in London, penniless.

    Juggler Street
    One of the original Streets named after the Jugglers who assembled and performed there. Changed to High Street in the Eighteenth century.

    Kent Street
    Named after Richard Kent a merchant of the town, who was the first to build a house on the site.

    King Edward Street
    Named in honour of Edward VII

    Kingsway
    The name given to the second Mersey Tunnel.

    Knight Street
    Named after the brothers John and James Knight who laid out the Street in 1785.

    Lancelot?s Hey
    Named after Thomas Lancelot whose property it ran through, a drunken idle is how Edward Moore described him.

    Leather Lane
    Named after the Leather market that stood on the site until it moved to Gill Street in 1833.

    Leece Street
    Named after William Leece a merchant of the town.
    Leeds Street
    The original terminus of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, was formerly known as Maiden?s Green.

    Leigh Street
    Named after the mother of Sarah Clayton, Elisabeth Leigh.

    Lawrence Road
    Named after Charles Lawrence, Mayor, Merchant and Chairman of the Liverpool to Manchester railway.

    Lime Street
    Originally Lime kilns Lane, named after William Harvey?s Lime Kilns that stood on the site, in 1804 the staff of the of the infirmary that stood on the site of St George?s Hall objected to the fumes from the kilns and after litigation they were re-located. The name changed to Lime Street in 19th century, and was known for the ladies of the night, the most famous of these being Maggie May, immortalised in a popular song of the time.

    Lister Drive
    Named after James Lister a cotton broker of the town.

    Lodge Lane
    Named for the Higher Lodge of Toxteth, which it led to.

    London Road
    So named because it was the main road out of Liverpool to London.

    Lord Street
    Named after Lord Molyneux, was originally called Lord Molyneux Street.

    Lord Nelson Street
    Named after Admiral Horatio Nelson, Britains greatest naval hero, Nelson was also a champion of the slave trade.

    Low Hill
    Low means Hill.

    Lydia Anne Street
    Named after Lydia Anne Perry the wife of George Perry Manager of the Phoenix foundry situated at the end of the Street.

    Major Street
    Named after Canon Major Lester, Vicar of Kirkdale, founder of the Major Street Ragged school, whose monument can be found in St Johns Gardens

    Manchester Street
    The construction of Manchester Street gave the coaches of the day travelling to Manchester an easier route to London Road.

    Manesty?s Lane
    Named after Joseph Manesty a merchant of the town.

    Mann Island
    Previously known as Mersey Island it was later named after John Mann an oilstone merchant.

    Mariners Parade
    Was a favoured route of seaman, which led to the Old Dock.

    Marybone
    A name requested by the Catholic inhabitants of the area.

    Maryland Street
    Named after Maryland US, as a compliment by J. Hunter a merchant of the town.

    Mather Avenue
    Named after Arthur Stanley Mather, Mayor 1915-16


    Melwood Drive
    Taken from the names of the two priests who founded St Francis Xaviers, Melling and Woodlock.

    Mile End
    So called, as it was exactly one mile from the town hall.

    Mill Street
    One of the original streets was also known as Whiteacre Street, then Hall Street, and then Old Hall Street.

    Mill Street (Liverpool 8)
    Was Bedford Street, re-named Mill Street after the windmill, which stood at the junction with Hill Street.

    Moor Street (Medieval)
    Named after the Moor family, it was later changed to Tithebarn Street, after Lord Molyneux had built a tithe-barn in the Street.

    Moorfields
    Named after the property owned by the Moor family.

    New Bird Street
    Named after the slave trader Joseph Bird, who was Mayor in 1746.

    North John Street
    Was originally St. John Street after the church of St John who owned the Land.


    Oil Street
    The firm of Earles and Carter produced oil on the site.

    Old Hall Street
    Named for the old moor residence that once stood on the site.

    Oldham Street
    Named after James Oldham Captain of many slavery ships.

    Old Haymarket
    Named after the Hay market that stood on the site until 1841.

    Old Ropery
    Named after the Ropery works that had stood on the site since the seventeenth century.

    Paradise Street
    Was originally Common Moor, named by the Dock engineer Thomas Steers, who had lived in Paradise Street, Rotherhithe, London.

    Parr Street
    Named after John and Edward Parr slave trade merchants.


    Pickop Street
    Named after the Brewers Pickop and Miles who had premises on the Street.

    Pilgrim Street
    Was previously known as Jamieson Street, changed to Pilgrim Street, the Pilgrim being a Privateer.

    Pool Lane
    The continuation of Castle Street it ran down to the pool.

    Porter Street
    Named after Thomas Colley Porter, who was Mayor of Liverpool in 1827, until it was discovered that the election had been rigged.

    Preeson?s Row
    Named after Alderman Thomas Preeson, C.1660.

    Price Street
    Named after the price family who were Lords of the Manor of Birkenhead.

    Pudsey Street
    Named after Pudsey Dawson, this was the Second Street to be named after the former Mayor and co-founder of the blind school.

    Quakers Alley
    Named after the fact that the original Friend?s meeting House had stood on the Street, the house becoming a school when the Quakers left in 1796.

    Queen Street
    Named after Queen Anne it was to become the centre of the Welsh immigrant community.

    Rainford Gardens and Square
    Named after Peter Rainford a Mayor of Liverpool in 1740, he owned a market garden on the land.

    Ranelagh Street
    Named after the Liverpool Ranalagh Tea Gardens, which had once stood on the site.

    Rathbone Street
    Named after the Rathbone family, one of Liverpool?s great families, who initiated cotton imports from the slave plantations.

    Renshaw Street
    Named after John and Edward Renshaw who owned a Ropery on the site.

    Red Cross Street
    Origin of name unknown

    Richmond Street
    Named after Silvester Richmond a doctor and Mayor in 1672, the Richmonds were one of the oldest families in the area

    Rodney Street
    Named after Baron Rodney who won fame and fortune with his celebrated victory over the French and Spanish in 1782, he was also a champion of the slave trade.
    It was one of the new residential areas that were springing up around the town, by 1801, it would appear that most of the street had been developed.
    The street has been home to a host of eminent people.

    No-11 Rodney street was the birthplace of Nicholas Monsarrat (1910-79), the son of distinguished Liverpool surgeon, the author of the novel ?The Cruel Sea?, which detailed his experiences in a corvette during the Second World War.

    No-34 was the home of Henry Booth (1789-1869) one of the founders of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and inventor of the railway coupling

    No-35 Rodney Street was the first house to built on the street,
    c. 1783 on a site leased by William Roscoe.

    No-54 Rodney Street was the home Dr. W.H. Duncan (1805-63) Liverpool?s first Medical Officer.

    No-59 Rodney Street was the home and studio of E. Chambre Hardman (1898-1988), a photographer of distinction whose commercial work is an important part of British Photographic history.

    No-62 was the birthplace of William Ewart Gladstone
    (1809-98), one of Liverpool?s greatest sons, who went on to be Prime Minister.

    No-74 was the home to Arthur Hugh Clough (1819-61), and his sister Anne Jemima Clough (1820-92); Arthur was a renowned poet, who went on to become principal of the University College London. Anne Clough campaigned to open universities to women, took charge of the first house for women students in Cambridge, which was to become Newnham College, in 1880, she was leading campaigner against poverty

    No-80 was the residence for a short time of Lytton Strachey, a member of the Bloomsbury group of Authors and Artists, he taught for a time at Liverpool University. His books include ?Queen Victoria? and ?Eminent Victorians?.

    Today Rodney Street is known as Liverpool?s Harley Street.
    Doctor Ambrose Dawson was the first Doctor to have premises on the street as early as 1790.

    Dr Matthew Dobson, was a physician to the Liverpool infirmary, his work on Diabetes is recognised as one of the three steps that eventually led to it?s control.
    Dr James Currie was the first biographer of Robert Burns.

    Roe Street
    Named after William Roe a Liverpool merchant.

    Roscoe Street
    Named after Wiliam Roscoe, merchant, abolitionist, and Philanthropist, one of Liverpool?s greatest sons.


    Scotland Road

    St Anne street

    St James Street
    Said to be derived from St James Church Toxteth.

    St John Street
    Now North John Street.

    School Lane
    Named after the Bluecoat charity school founded by Bryan Blundell, which still stands on the site, the building is now the oldest in the city.

    Seel Street
    Named after Sir Thomas Seel, a Liverpool merchant who owned the land on which the Street was laid out, he was also involved in the slave trade.

    Sir Thomas Street
    Named after Sir Thomas Johnson, MP for Liverpool for 21 years, a leading figure behind the construction of Liverpool?s first commercial dock (1715), Pioneer of the slave trade, who also transported prisoners to the plantations, died in London, penniless.

    Slater Street
    Named after Gill Slater captain of the Liverpool volunteers, c.1766

    South John Street
    Was originally known as Traffords Wient after Henry Trafford who was Mayor in 1740, formerly part of John Street.

    Sparling Street
    Named after John Sparling former Mayor (1790) began construction of the Queens dock at his own expense before selling it to the corporation.

    Strand
    Was New Street, laid out in 1740, before that it was a strip of sand between high and low water.

    Sweeting Street
    Was Elbow Lane, named after Alderman Sweeting who was Mayor in 1698.

    Tablet Street
    Named after Tabley in Cheshire the home of Mayor William Pownall, 1767.

    Thomas Street
    Named after Thomas Lurting whose land the Street was laid out.

    Tithebarn Street
    Named after the Tithe Barn erected by Lord Molnneux.

    Union Street
    Named to commemorate the union of Scotland and England in 1717.

    Vandries Street
    Named after a Dutch man who ran the Vandries Hotel, situated on the North Shore, it was the site of sea bathing during the Regency period.

    Virginia Street
    Named after the US State where the tobacco plantations were situated.

    Water Street
    Originally named Bank Street one of the original medieval streets, changed to Water Street around 1540.

    Waterside


    Whiteacre Street
    Another of the original streets from the thirteenth century, became Hall Street and then Old Hall Street.

    William Brown Street
    Was previously called Shaw?s Brow, later named after William Brown a wealthy Liverpool merchant, who paid for the construction of the Library and Museum.

    Wolstenholme Square
    Named after the Wolstenholme family who owned the land on which the square was laid out.

    Source: Clicky
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!




    Thank you



  2. #2
    Member joge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Was in Liverpool recently, being driven up Sleepers Hill, reminscing with my cousin about how, in winter, the trams sometimes couldn't make it up the hill because of the ice. This led on to a discussion about how Sleepers Hill came to be named. Any thoughts on that one??

  3. #3
    Member scottieroader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    there's a book out called Street Names of the City of Liverpool you might be interested in.

    Tarleton Street is worth a mention, it was named after a local commander in the British Army who fought in the American War of Independence. He was portrayed in the film 'The Patriot' as a monster who rounded women and children into churched and burned them down. He apparently commanded his men with an iron fist but these atrocities never happened and created much controversy with his descendants, still in Liverpool complaning about the portrayal.

    There are also a number of streets which were renamed in a fit of London-worshipping.

    ? -> Islington
    Brownlow Hill (upper end) -> Paddington
    Prescot Lane -> Kensington
    Pinfold Lane -> Vauxhall Road
    ? -> Covent Garden
    ? -> Wapping

    Parliament street was built on the boundary between the township of Liverpool and Toxteth Park as the northern edge of the new town of Harrington. it was named after the act of parliament which allowed the new town to be built... it was later extended along the boundary to Upper Parliament Street. However the new town around Mill Street never really took off and was soon subsumed by poor quality housing for dock workers when the south docks were built.

  4. #4
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,623
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottieroader View Post

    Tarleton Street is worth a mention, it was named after a local commander in the British Army who fought in the American War of Independence. He was portrayed in the film 'The Patriot' as a monster who rounded women and children into churched and burned them down. He apparently commanded his men with an iron fist but these atrocities never happened and created much controversy with his descendants, still in Liverpool complaning about the portrayal.
    Hi scottieroader

    Yes, correct, the character of Tavington, played by Childwall's Jason Isaacs in "The Patriot" is based on General Sir Banastre Tarleton, who as a lieutenant colonel under Cornwallis in the American Revolution, terrorized the American southern states with his British Legion, made up of British regulars and American loyalists who sided with the crown. More correctly though I believe Tarleton Street, running from Church Street to Williamson Square, was named for his father, John Tarleton, known as "The Big T" who was Mayor of Liverpool in 1764.

    Best regards

    Chris

    P.S., Kev, super thread!
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  5. #5
    Member scottieroader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi scottieroader

    Yes, correct, the character of Tavington, played by Childwall's Jason Isaacs in "The Patriot" is based on General Sir Banastre Tarleton, who as a lieutenant colonel under Cornwallis in the American Revolution, terrorized the American southern states with his British Legion, made up of British regulars and American loyalists who sided with the crown. More correctly though I believe Tarleton Street, running from Church Street to Williamson Square, was named for his father, John Tarleton, known as "The Big T" who was Mayor of Liverpool in 1764.

    Best regards

    Chris

    P.S., Kev, super thread!
    Banastre aye? I live on Leeds Street, at at the Scotland Road end, and I know from old maps that Leeds Street used to stop at Vauxhall Road and the street over which Leeds Street was extended when it was made a dual carriageway (i.e. the Street on which I would have lived had they not decided to just call the whole lot Leeds Street) was Banastre Street.

  6. #6
    Partsky
    Guest Partsky's Avatar

    Default

    Ive learned more about the history of our City from these great posts than anything I have read in years. Cheers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Liverpool Street Name Origins
    By Kev in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM
  3. THE NAUTICAL ORIGINS of the sea
    By rbrewr in forum Liverpool Sailors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 09:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @LiverpoolInPictures / Join the Facebook Group: Liverpool In Pictures (YO! Liverpool)

YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain. If you like the website, please donate via PayPal!