Liverpool College was the first of many public schools founded in the Victorian Era. The foundation stone of the original building was laid on 22 October 1840 by Edward Smith-Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby K.G. (then the Rt. Hon. Lord Stanley MP), the first patron of the College. The original school was in Shaw Street, the buildings were designed by Harvey Lonsdale Elmes, the architect of St George's Hall, and was erected at a cost of £35,000. . The buildings later became Liverpool Collegiate and are now appartments.
The original College on Shaw Street