Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddleia Project Grade 2 Listed Warehouses

Blog Entries

Default Buddleia Project Grade 2 Listed Warehouses

WORK on transforming a derelict listed warehouse into a cultural and business centre is set to start this week.

The £6m Buddleia project will be open in time for the city's 800th birthday in 2007.

It is based in five grade II listed buildings at the corner of Parliament Street and Jamaica Street.

The 150,000sq ft centre will include room for voluntary organisations, social enterprise and business opportunities, and heritage, culture and the arts with galleries, exhibition and performance spaces.

It is being set up by the national Novas charity which works with disadvantaged communities and the centre's aim is to encourage the talents of Liverpool's black and minority ethnic community.

http://www.buddleia.org/
    Last edited by Kev; 05-30-2006 at 11:23 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

The £6m Buddleia building - a key building in the ECHO's Stop the Rot campaign - will form a cultural and business centre to encourage the talents of Liverpool's black and ethnic communities. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

There was a picture of this the other night in the echo showing what the regenerated version will look like and it looked quite good,it's good to see old buildings find a new use.

PhilipG

Default Buddleia

Buddleia is a great name, because it is nearly always the Buddleia that is seen growing out of disused buildings.
    Not always disused

buildings - there is one growing out of the top of the Empire Theatre.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empire.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	96  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Buddleia is a great name, because it is nearly always the Buddleia that is seen growing out of

disused buildings.
    Not always disused buildings - there is one growing out of the top of the Empire Theatre.

This stuff grows like

wildfire in Liverpool.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I was

looking through the photos I took of the 'Buddleia Building' and noticed the zig-zag brickwork on the front - quite unusual I thought. I see they're

moving on with the project quite fast, the scaffolding has moved now and windows are going in. Just glad I managed to get some photos in there before they

started

work.

[IMG]http://www.forties-design.co.uk/photos/warehouse/doors.jp

g[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.forties-design.co.uk/photos/warehouse/roof.jpg[/

IMG]

[IMG]http://www.forties-design.co.uk/photos/warehouse/casting.jpg[/IM

G]

I worked as a labourer on the buddleia project in the summer, just for a week tho.
    Don't believe everything you hear..... Just everything you say.

Blog Entries

Excellent pics Snappel, I wanted to get in that place too,

thanks
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I'm currently working on Buddelia and have been for the past month or so doing the roof, the view is great and the building is really coming along, heres a few pictures i took on my phone, the quality isn't too good.

Views from roof:

Blog Entries

That's a great vantage point up there, well done and thanks for sharing
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

MissInformed

brilliant pics!!

Downey - what happened to the old lifting gear in the lofts? I suppose it's all been scrapped. Was quite interesting, seeing that there after all these years.

Still, the building's looking good - whenever I drive past more progress seems to have been made. I'm just so glad it didn't get demolished!

I think they scrapped most of it but somes still there, you can make out one of the big wheels on one of the pictures above. It must be staying there because the room below is getting varnished and painted so they would have got them out before that.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL’S new multi-million pound arts and cultural centre will open in February.

Social charity Novas has spent £16m renovating the former warehouses on Parliament Street into a Contemporary Urban Centre.

The grade II listed site, known for years as the Buddleia Building because of the shrub growing from its stonework, includes a 750-capacity music and arts venue and a cinema and lecture hall.

There are also seven galleries, a two-and-a-half storey theatrical space and a Malaysian restaurant planned with views over the city skyline.

Two floors are dedicated to office space for creative and community businesses with Brouhaha among the first set to move in.

Michael Wake, founder and chief executive of Novas, said: “We’ve had lots of interest from people and I’m sure it will start off slowly, but build up.

“There are a whole range of organisations and interests, and we’ve even had professional footballers ask about the space for things like VIP parties. “This is the largest project the charity has tackled to date, and we’ll now be replicating it in London with a site twice the size which will also include accommodation.”

The Contemporary Urban Centre will include ground floor and basement cafés, a retail market, pub and an industrial bar/club.

A gentleman’s club-style wood-panelled Founders Room will feature plaster busts of homeless people in what Mr Wake says will “turn snobbery on its head”, while there will also be a top- floor South East Asian bar and a barn-like party room.

Patrick Mussard, assistant director for events, said: “We’d like people to be able to play a part in the building and help create its own atmosphere.”

The first exhibition, from Arts In Liverpool, will go on show at the end of February and the building will be officially opened on May 1.

A light installation is currently on show from the windows of the building each night from 4.30pm to 1am.

The centre is in the Independent Arts Quarter and organisers hope it will help act as a major regeneration catalyst for the area.

Novas works to tackles social disadvantage, developing opportunities for individuals and communities through community support, education, training, employment, art, culture and regeneration.

Anyone interested in the Contemporary Urban Centre should call 0151-706 6900.

catherinejones@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

City centre Gallery hit by crunch

Jan 30 2009 by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

ONE of Liverpool?s newest art galleries is changing open space into offices in a bid to cope with the global financial crisis.

The series of exhibition rooms, which run across the third floor of the Novas Contemporary Urban Centre, were opened 10 months ago.

Now they are being turned into office space which bosses hope will raise money for the CUC?s arts programme.

Future exhibitions will be relocated to the crypt, ground floor and fifth floor gallery of the converted Greenland Street warehouse.

Owner the Novas Scarman group today said the move was designed to free up space for offices and to improve access to encourage more people to visit.

Tara Muthoora, CUC director of regeneration, said: ?We?re a social business and there are hard times at the moment. With the funding from the offices we can do some amazing arts programmes.?

The gallery space will be reduced from 12,151sq ft to 10,325sq ft when it is relaunched in March with what Novas describes as ?an exciting arts programme?.

The former Stop the Rot landmark, which first opened its doors last March after a ?16m renovation, has been fully open for five months.

A Novas spokeswoman said: ?It consists of very flexible spaces. We?re experimenting with making it work and introducing many new services all the time.?

Meanwhile the Housing Corporation is continuing its investigation, revealed in December, into the London-based charity and registered social landlord.

Computers were taken from Novas?s Liverpool offices as part of the ongoing probe into the charity?s financial management.

The charity also confirmed this week it had called in the auditors on a separate matter, with allegations one of its contractors had a link to a member of staff.

It is believed the investigation could involve Novas? offices in Sefton Street, where it has also been reported ?260,000 was spent on a Chinese-themed theatre.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-22814306/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast