Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Picture of The Day June 2010

Excellent images
    I like it thanks

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Thanks Maria, I pulled it back up as someone just put a photo of her on another thread and the info, He is stealing my ship It was restored and you could go on board but they just did another restoration.

You buy a ticket at the Seaport museum shop and you can go on two of the ships and to the museum. One of my favorite places. I am so glad NYC decided to adopt the abandoned WAVERTREE, put her back to her former glory and she stands majestically right in the center of the Seaport.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Ooops, I am still downloading mine, will wait until tomorrow to pop it up. It is of the 1885 ship Wavertree, a great old Cape Horner. Southampton made for a Liverpool company who owned her. She was dis-masted in a Cape Horn storm in 1910 and ended up as a barge in Buenos Aires. Some guy found her poor old body (still working as a barge I think) in 1966 and brought her to NYC, she was helped into the harbour by a sister ship, the Allerton. She sits at Southstreet Seaport and although they have re-masted her she needs a lot of work on her 'tween' area and general HELP!!!! They got a grant for 4 MILLION DOLLARS to restore her, Uni of Wisconsin are working on parts and various other ship restoration places. When she is done she will be part of the Southstreet Seaport Museum walk again and we can go on board once again. At last she can hold her head up high after being abandoned and left to die in a foreign land!!!. YAY
    Was just talking to someone about the Wavertree

...Some guy found her poor old body (still working as a barge I think) in 1966 and brought her to NYC, she was helped into the harbour by a sister ship, the Allerton. She sits at Southstreet Seaport and although they have re-masted her she needs a lot of work on her 'tween' area and general HELP!!!...

Is the sister ship Allerton (a good Liverpool name) still around?

All I could find was this, which says it had a similar fate to the Wavertree....

http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Sh...ton(1884).html

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    ...Some guy found her poor old body (still working as a barge I think) in 1966 and brought her to NYC, she was helped into the harbour by a sister ship, the Allerton. She sits at Southstreet Seaport and although they have re-masted her she needs a lot of work on her 'tween' area and general HELP!!!...

Is the sister ship Allerton (a good Liverpool name) still around?

All I could find was this, which says it had a similar fate to the Wavertree....

http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Sh...ton(1884).html
    I will have a look in the book right now.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

No, there is a painting of her being nudged into her birth at Southstreet Seaport by Bill Muller called Night Docking

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Here she is, you have to scroll some way down
    http://williamgmuller.com/prints/prints.html

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Does not name her but that is the pic in my book and says she is the Allerton

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

This is interesting

http://books.google.com/books?id=KZg...page&q&f=false

Next time I am at the seaport I will take more pics and ask in the museum about the Allerton

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    I will have a look in the book right now.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

No, there is a painting of her being nudged into her birth at Southstreet Seaport by Bill Muller called Night Docking

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Here she is, you have to scroll some way down
    http://williamgmuller.com/prints/prints.html

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Does not name her but that is the pic in my book and says she is the Allerton

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

This is interesting

http://books.google.com/books?id=KZg...page&q&f=false

Next time I am at the seaport I will take more pics and ask in the museum about the Allerton
    Thanks... that's wonderful collection of paintings by Muller there...

The google link to the contract dispute is interesting too...

I should download pics from the book, such beautiful ships, Wavertree seems to have been painted so often. They love her here. Millions have been gladly spent putting her back to her old self and hundreds of 'shippy people' work on her with such dedication. I wish we had the Allerton too. I shudder to think what has happened to her. She was OK when we got Wavertree as you saw, she helped the limping dazed Wavertree into the Seaport

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910