Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool City Rugby League

Quote Originally Posted by prescot98 View Post
    my dad played for City from 1963 - 1968 (the glory years!!)
    they were beating Wigan in 1966 and the ref played 8 minutes 'injury time', Boston going over to win the game late on.
    I was there - never felt so cheated in my life (I was 14 at the time)!!!

We were winning 12-10 and he went over in the corner to win 13-12.

Great to here from you Prescot..

What is your dads name. Liverpool City was before my time (born in 70) although i have done a bit of research into the club.

My main knowledge of the club is as Huyton from about 78 to when they went to Runcorn in 84.

Have you any photos of the club(s) from any era, either team pics or ground photos, anything at all. It would be fantastic to see them.

Also i am not a native of Liverpool but would love to see the book you mentioned when it is released. Keep me up to date on that as i might miss it's release living over here in Wakefield.

All the best
    Chris
    HUYTON R.L.F.C. GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

I live in NZ, explaining to kiwis why I only lived a stones throw from st helens ( stronghold of rugby league ) but it isn't followed in the city has always been met with disbelief, when I arrived here We would go to the video shop and you could rent videos of wigan V st helens on tapes, I thought it was all a bit mad on the absolute other side of the world when you can't rent them in huyton

Hi hUYTONRLFC,

Was talking to my dad about the games (Arthur Johnson) at Knotty Ash and then Alt Park. The team was 'half decent' for about 4 seasons as they stopped getting 30+ journeymen from Barrow and Widnes and started developing youth and signing players in their twenties.

Dad brought Jeff Heaton with him from Saints (his best mate and my godfather) after saints wanted to sell them both off to Widnes in 1963.
    With Vollenhoven and Murphy at Saints their appearances would be limited so the chairman basically told them to sign for widnes. When they refused they were told 'you wont play for saints again'. So, they both decided to quit saints and move to City.

Another story from 1965 was a game City v Dewsbury (he thinks) and AJ was getting grief from a handful of away supporters...so hurdled the wall and laid into them!!!
    Quite rightly sent off too...he kept quiet about that for 40 years!!

I'm trying to get a release date for the Liverpool City RL book from the author, so will keep everyone informed.

there's an interview with Ray Ashby on CodeXIII (on channel m Sky 203 or online at channelm.co.uk) Part of a tribute to Eric Ashton.

will try and scan some of Dad's scrapbooks and old programmes too.

cheers
    Dave

Hi
    the RL book will be out the week before the challenge Cup Final. title still TBC but it will be focussing mainly on Liverpool Stanley / Liverpool City era and a bit of history to the pre and post incarnations of the club.

I've seen a draft copy and there will be match stats, player stats, interviews, mini biographies and essential fact n figures on Liverpool City / Stanley.
    very detailed and a real rugby league fans dream!

more nearer the date of publication - author is Mike Brocken.

cheers
    DJ

Cheers Prescot 98

I'll keep an eye out on here for more info when it's released.

Smile LIVERPOOL CITY RUGBY

Quote Originally Posted by prescot98 View Post
    Hi
    the RL book will be out the week before the challenge Cup Final. title still TBC but it will be focussing mainly on Liverpool Stanley / Liverpool City era and a bit of history to the pre and post incarnations of the club.

I've seen a draft copy and there will be match stats, player stats, interviews, mini biographies and essential fact n figures on Liverpool City / Stanley.
    very detailed and a real rugby league fans dream!

more nearer the date of publication - author is Mike Brocken.

cheers
    DJ

Any more news on the publication?

Hi
    I've contacted the author and I'm waiting to hear back from the publishers.
    The book is due out in 4 - 6 weeks, as yet I've had no confirmation on title or number of pages (or stockists).

hopefully, more info very soon

Here's a few links from a page marked as archives.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep.../lpoolrfc.html

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ercury1897.htm

From here.
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep..._archives.html

I love Rugby League but only a couple of other people I know are interested in it,it's a shame really as the saints are so brilliant too watch.

For those interested a book on Liverpool City and the origins or rugby league in Liverpool will be published in mid october.
    All the ex players will be contacted and a launch 'do' arranged - venue tbc

Once I have the exact date and publishers outlets I'll repost more info.

Pity it won;t be at the same time of the RL Premiership Final but it may launch week of the RL world cup in Oz.

cheers
    Dave

Thanks for the info. I look forward to it.

Liverpool City RLFC Mike Brocken | WHSmith

The book is due out 27th Oct ?14.95

also available at LLP, Amazon and other outlets.
    cheers

THANKS A LOT PRESCOT98!

You've been a great help keeping us posted.

I've got my copy on order and are very much looking forward to it arriving.

All the Best.

Hi
    Has anyone had their copy yet?
    Possible delay with the publishers - I ordered a copy due on 27th...still no sign!

Default Liverpool Stanley 1946-47

Hi All,
    I was a pupil at St.Margarets Belmont Road 1946-47.We had a teacher who played for Liverpool Stanley his name was Mr Hughes.I honestly can't remember them winning a game while I was at SMA.He was a pretty good guy Mr Hughes and we used to give him some real stick.He was 6ft at least but like a bean pole,but he was bloody fast off the mark and was fit.He made a big mistake for me I wanted to be a Marine Architect,Draughtsman.A scholarship came up for the School of Art and he recommended I should try for it as it would be good for my Drawing come Draughting.Waste of time all my important subjects Maths,Algebra,etc went backwards.It had advantages of course mixed class.I managed to get an aengineering Apprenticeship with Babcock and Wilcox,Bromborough Power Station 2 1/2 years then Main works Renfrew Scotland 2 1/2 years.So when I went to see the School of Art had helped as I became a pretty good P---- artist (joke).I met Mr Hughes about 1954 and we had Coffee at Kardomah Church Street.I told him the story and he really was apologetic.I told him straight it worked out pretty well and was getting ready to join a ship being built in Holland and for Delivery to NZ,where I was going to Marry a New Zealand girl.Her was a good guy he wasn't playing as he'd injured a knee but was still with the "Stanley"Watch some great League here Ozzie and Kiwis.But I'm really or was a kick it with your head man.Best Regards Ken B

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast