Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mill Road Hospital WW2

Default Mill Road Hospital WW2

Mill Road hospital was hit by German bombs on 3rd May 1941 with large loss of life. A maternity ward was hit and mothers and their new born babies died. I have been going through the death list and have been reduced to tears. This is one of the saddest things I have ever read about.

I think this sums it up.

BABY CONNOR
    died 03/05/1941, aged 2 days.
    Daughter of George and Elizabeth Ann Connor, of 20B Warwick Gardens. Died at Mill Road Infirmary.

How can we forget them?

Im adding a page to this tragic event on the war website.

Im looking for pics of Mill Road Hospital to use. befor/during/or after the bombing.

The 70th Anniversary is 3rd May 2011. Im hoping to get along to the site to remember it. Im hoping others will come too. We have to remember these babies.

Im thinking would people buy a Teddy Bear for the kiddies. We could donate them to Alder Hey or another kids place? what do you think?

during the bombing many died. Many ambulance drivers, nurses and staff. Patients too.

I have found a few stories of witnesses. Its very sad to read. But so important that we remember.

Good idea about the teddies

The loss of those mothers and newly born babies must have been tragic. Very sad.

So sad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

As a child, and during the war, I was admitted to Mill Lane Hospital (Infectious Diseases) suffering with Diptheria, together with a few other children from Speke Rd Gardens, can't remember the dates, but do recall the nurses putting us under the beds when the air-raid sirens sounded. Is this the same hospital?

Mill Lane may well have been Olive Mount at Wavertree Garden Suburb.

Ged,

thank you for the photos of the hospital after the bombing, my husband was born 2nd May 1941 in Mill Road hospital. In the confusion after the bombing his mother was separated from him both going to different hospitals, it was two days before they were reunited. All the family will be very interested to see these photos.

Thanks. There are more on the 'Building for the past' page of my site below but the contributor doesn't want me to put them up on forums but you can view them there. They are 1980s colour pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Ged,

thank you for the photos of the hospital after the bombing, my husband was born 2nd May 1941 in Mill Road hospital. In the confusion after the bombing his mother was separated from him both going to different hospitals, it was two days before they were reunited. All the family will be very interested to see these photos.
    Would you consider allowing your husbands story to be added to the webpage for Mill Road Hospital.

Blog Entries

very sad indeed
    I like the idea about the teddies but while Lauren was in hospital last christmas a charity came in with presents for the oncology ward,the kids opened the presents in front of the charity, father christmas & photographers....as soon as they left the nurses came in & took all the gifts & I never saw them again
    I know teddies would be banned from most wards because of germ control as most toys have to be hard & washable

its the same with christmas decorations they were banned too last year
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Quote Originally Posted by Wartime Liverpool View Post
    Would you consider allowing your husbands story to be added to the webpage for Mill Road Hospital.
    My husband doesn’t mind you using the story of when he was born.

Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Wartime Liverpool View Post
    Where's your website, mate? Could you provide the URL?

C
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I was in Mill Road Hospital, Liverpool, over Christmas 1940 with diphtheria. I can remember the nurses home going up in flames, and the hospital staff piled a number of diphtheria patients on to one of the few beds with wheels. We were transported out of the ward, and down some sort of ramps into the boiler house - nobody wanted the diphtheria patients in the normal air raid shelters. I can't recall whether this was before or after Christmas - I was only 6 at the time. Anybody have more information ?

Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    My husband doesn’t mind you using the story of when he was born.

Mary
    Thank You Mary

It is now on the website

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Where's your website, mate? Could you provide the URL?

C
    Hi Chris

The Mill road page has just gone online

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...-hospital.html

Its part of the wartime website run by Tony and Ged

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Dowell View Post
    I was in Mill Road Hospital, Liverpool, over Christmas 1940 with diphtheria. I can remember the nurses home going up in flames, and the hospital staff piled a number of diphtheria patients on to one of the few beds with wheels. We were transported out of the ward, and down some sort of ramps into the boiler house - nobody wanted the diphtheria patients in the normal air raid shelters. I can't recall whether this was before or after Christmas - I was only 6 at the time. Anybody have more information ?
    See my 'post' no 4 of this thread! I too am a bit vague on this period of time, but perhaps you were in Mill Lane Hosp; rather than Mill Rd!!

Hi all just registered, very interested in the article Mill Rd Hospital ww2, i am researching family history currently on my wifes fathers side
    during which it was revealed my wifes father had been previously married which my wife was not aware of, further research and receiving
    of marriage certs from gro, it also revealed he had a son to this marriage, but very sadly mother and son i understand were killed outright
    during the air raid on mill rd hospital on the 3/5/1941, i read on one of the forums a chap named Ged had been going through the death list
    and was wondering how i could catch sight of same,also would anybody know the location of the burial place for the deceased persons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast