Thread: Mossley Hill Borders

Default Mossley Hill Borders

What is the border between Mossley Hill and Allerton? Likewise, what's the dividing line with Wavertree?

Default Where is Mossley Hill

Quote Originally Posted by bdm View Post
    What is the border between Mossley Hill and Allerton? Likewise, what's the dividing line with Wavertree?
    Mossley Hill is an area that spreads over parts of the old townships of Wavertree, Allerton and Garston. Technically it has no defined borders. Recently Liverpool City Council has put some district signs up for Mossley Hill having previously denied its existence but the rationale for their location is obtuse. Indeed at least one has been relocated. The only real defined boundary would be that for SS Matthew and James, and St Barnabas parish churches, both in Mossley Hill. See parish boundaries here:

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/31

&

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/32

The dividing line between Allerton and Wavertree townships runs down the middle of Rose Lane.

Hi BDM

This one keeps cropping up in the Wavertree - Edge Hill thread, it seems it's as clear as mud

Iain

I have the same question about ward boundaries - they are different to post code districts. It's all very confusing!

Wards as in election/voting areas are different to postal codes as are different to districts.

For instance the Exchange ward covers the Vauxhall district (and others) which is Liverpool 3 and 5.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Mossley Hill is an area that spreads over parts of the old townships of Wavertree, Allerton and Garston. Technically it has no defined borders. Recently Liverpool City Council has put some district signs up for Mossley Hill having previously denied its existence but the rationale for their location is obtuse. Indeed at least one has been relocated. The only real defined boundary would be that for SS Matthew and James, and St Barnabas parish churches, both in Mossley Hill. See parish boundaries here:

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/31

&

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/32

The dividing line between Allerton and Wavertree townships runs down the middle of Rose Lane.
    Hi Taffy

This is interesting because where I used to live, at 76 Aigburth Hall Avenue, which we used to refer to as "Mossley Hill" is just outside the parish boundary for SS Matthew and James according to the map URL you posted. Hmmmm. Of course the old telephone numbers my family had didn't help either. The number was originally Garston 1777 and later was changed to Cressington Park 1777! And I have always been in two minds about whether the house was in Aigburth or Mossley Hill.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BethF View Post
    I have the same question about ward boundaries - they are different to post code districts. It's all very confusing!
    Post codes are nothing to do with districts. They are purely for the use of the Post Office.
    Districts are there for your local council designations.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Taffy

This is interesting because where I used to live, at 76 Aigburth Hall Avenue, which we used to refer to as "Mossley Hill" is just outside the parish boundary for SS Matthew and James according to the map URL you posted. Hmmmm. Of course the old telephone numbers my family had didn't help either. The number was originally Garston 1777 and later was changed to Cressington Park 1777! And I have always been in two minds about whether the house was in Aigburth or Mossley Hill.

All the best

Chris
    Well at least the map shows that the actual high spot of Mossley Hill is included...

I spent many days playing, trying to flying model planes and tobogganing on Holts Field just by the church.

One of my first girlfriends who was from Barkhill College even married the curate at the church...