Thread: Recollections of Old Liverpool

Cadfael

Default Recollections of Old Liverpool

I have just been passed a book called Recollections of Old Liverpool by A Nonagenarian.

It would appear to be an amazingly rare book written in 1836 and has an amazing amount of information on Liverpool City Centre, Joseph Williamson's Tunnels, prisons, gaols, the bridewell, local streets, basically a wealth of information!

Here is an extract from the book describing what used to sit on the site of the Adelphi:

After the feasting was over my father treated our friends to the White House and Ranelagh Tea Gardens, which stood at the top of Ranelagh-street. The site is now occupied by the Adelphi Hotel. The gardens extended a long way back. Warren-street is formed out of them. These gardens were very tastefully arranged in beds and borders, radiating from a centre in which was a Chinese temple, which served as an orchestra for a band to play in. Round the sides of the garden, in a thicket of lilacs and laburnums, the beauty of which, in early summer, was quite remarkable, were little alcoves or bowers wherein parties took tea or stronger drinks. About half-way up the garden, the place where the Warren-street steps are now, there used to be a large pond or tank wherein were fish of various sorts. These fish were so tame that they would come to the surface to be fed. This fish feeding was a very favourite amusement with those who frequented the garden. In the tank were some carp of immense size, and so fat they could hardly swim. Our servant-man used to take me to the Ranelagh Gardens every fine afternoon, as it was a favourite lounge.

The garden paling was carried up Copperas-hill (called after the Copperas Works, removed in 1770, after long litigation) across to Brownlow-hill, a white ropery extending behind the palings. To show how remarkably neighbourhoods alter by time and circumstance, I recollect it was said that Lord Molyneux, while hunting, once ran a hare down Copperas-hill. A young lady, Miss Harvey, who resided near the corner, went out to see what was the cause of the disturbance she heard, when observing the hare, she turned it back. Miss Harvey used to say “the gentlemen swore terribly” at her for spoiling their sport.

This book is available as an Ebook online if anyone is interested.
    Thanks for the reminder Cadfael I had forgotten about this one,

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21324...-h/21324-h.htm
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

wow great find
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Cadfael

And after all that typing too

I urge everyone to read it, but especially chapter 9 and 10 on the Tunnels in Edge Hill!

A cracking find on the net

PhilipG

Thanks, Shy.

I did a search for the Tower, and it's very descriptive about the place.

Guess what?
    It did have dungeons!

I've saved it to disk, so I can read it on my ancient lap-top, in bed!

Phillip,
    It is addictive once you start it will keep you awake all night. I am about halfway through. I first found this a couple of months ago and intended having a quick scan before I posted it. It went right out of my head 'till I saw Cads post, I'm glad he reminded me.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

WOW what a great find, i'm sure this will keep me reading with great intent.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Phillip,
    It is addictive once you start it will keep you awake all night. I am about halfway through. I first found this a couple of months ago and intended having a quick scan before I posted it. It went right out of my head 'till I saw Cads post, I'm glad he reminded me.

Boo, now my book doesn't seem to rare

It is an AMAZING read and it paints such a glorious picture. The chap escaping from prison and travelling from town to Edge Hill, to Wavertree, to Speke and then to Hale ON FOOT....has anyone ever done that themselves?

I know I've ridden on my bike from Childwall to Hale Lighthouse and back and I was bloody knackered

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Boo, now my book doesn't seem to rare

It is an AMAZING read and it paints such a glorious picture. The chap escaping from prison and travelling from town to Edge Hill, to Wavertree, to Speke and then to Hale ON FOOT....has anyone ever done that themselves?

I know I've ridden on my bike from Childwall to Hale Lighthouse and back and I was bloody knackered
    Dead right Cad, that story is amazing, The description of not only the tunnels but about Williamson himself is also an eye opener. I am up to chapter X111 so I will finish it tonight, old terminology gets the brain working overtime but it doesn't take much figuring out. I intend to reread it in about a month.
    I think this is one of the few occasions that being an old fart is an advantage, a lot of the places he describes and no longer exist I can remember.
    Last edited by shytalk; 09-18-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    Winston Churchill

I did the Mersey Marathon a few times from Camp Hill to Seaforth and back - does that count. Also ran from Ormskirk to Vauxhall Road. I must get a car.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

chippie

thought yer braces may have been caught up in the bus,s door Gedrick

Default Do you want to read this interesting old book?

To read the full text of this interesting old book, go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/2/1/3/...-h/21324-h.htm

Enjoy!!

Default BBC - WW2 Peoples War

Can not see this mentioned. It makes an interesting read. >>>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/c1141/

It has about 15 pages of stories and facts.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.