Thread: Merseyside Genealogy

Gnomie

Default Merseyside Genealogy

Have any of yu used this site? its a great place with loads of helpful people.

a good place to look for ancestors.

here is the link http://genchatfriends.proboards39.com/

Kev did you ever start your family history? if not get on there and get posting, i know you wanted to look into it. it amazing what you find.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post

Kev did you ever start your family history? if not get on there and get posting, i know you wanted to look into it. it amazing what you find.
    I will do, once I get a mo. How long does a typical search take in your experience?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Hello Gnomie

Thanks for the link to this site. It looks like a great place. And any Merseyside forum that has a moderator called JamButty has to be a fine forum!

I have not done enough personally on family history and know some information from my mother's side (the Matchetts) and my father's side (the Georges). Luckily, I have a couple of cousins on my father's side actively working on the genealogy on that side which they promise to share with me.

What I do know from doing some work on the genealogy of families other than mine and in reading about others who have worked on genealogy is how highly confusing it can prove to be, with lots of people having the same name.

In the field of Ripper studies, for example, there is the question of John McCarthy, who owned the room at 13 Miller's Court where the last victim, Mary Jane Kelly, was murdered. Unfortunately, there are two middle-aged John McCarthys, apparently of two distinct and separate families, living at the same address, 27 Dorset Street in Spitalfields, and Ripperologists have been trying for some time to determine which one owned the property where Kelly lived. Kelly was said to have been 29 shillings in arrears at the time of her demise, amounting to nearly seven weeks' back rent and there is a strong school of thought that, Kelly being a prostitute, McCarthy (whichever one of the two men he was) actually was living on her immoral earnings and for that reason had allowed her to build up the backlog of rent owed.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

FKoE

Cheers for that Link Gnomie lad

Proper little community happening there aye.. Good stuff...

Yes both of us are on this site already
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Gnomie

If you go on then im Andalucia on there

Kev i have been doing mine for just over two years, I have breaks and then go back to it. its great when you find ancestors. I never thought i would find anything out, but it shocks you that info is out there.

The central records office in Liverpool is like the Holy Grail. and they are so helpful. plus the Merseyside Genealogy site has some very clever and helpful people who will help you if they can. They got me started

you can do as little or as much as you like, there are no time limits . but you get hooked once you start finding them

FKoE

1881 Census - MISCELLANEOUS MARITIME RECORDS
    Sailors Home, Canning Place, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Click here