Thread: The Blackie

Question The Blackie

Can anyone tell me why it's called the Blackie?

I know it is a congregational church built in 1841 and what it's supposedly being used for / converted for now, but where did the name come from?

Is it simply reference to how dirty it used to be?

Default The Blackie

Quote Originally Posted by excession View Post
    Can anyone tell me why it's called the Blackie?

I know it is a congregational church built in 1841 and what it's supposedly being used for / converted for now, but where did the name come from?

Is it simply reference to how dirty it used to be?
    Yes, the name comes from it once being covered with black soot. For Info on its use as a community arts project see

http://www.theblackie.org.uk/blackieinfo.htm

Another building, a church now long since gone, St. Martin's in the fields, Silvester street was also known as the Black Church, due to the same thing, it being covered in soot. In this case, the soot came from James Muspratt's chemical works on nearby Vauxhall rd.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Default Liverpool?s Black-E cultural centre

THE North West?s only in-the-round auditorium is preparing to open its doors after a ?6m restoration.

Liverpool?s Black-E cultural centre hopes to start public performances of dance, drama and music in October.

It follows the completion of the multi-million pound conversion first dreamt of more than 30 years ago.

The arts organisation, formerly known as the Blackie, describes the Great George Street centre as a ?new building within old walls?.

The grade II former congregational chapel at the gateway to Chinatown boasts five floors of arts spaces, gallery, offices, cafeteria, cr?che and changing rooms.

It includes the lower ground floor Chamber Theatre, a first-floor main space with a 27ft high ceiling and two levels of balconies and roof level offices and meeting rooms.

The refurbished galleries and theatre space have been in use for some time, with activities including weekly workshops with Senegalese master drummer Marmadou Diaw, youth art workshops and Tai Chi classes.

And 4,000 people came through the doors for activities during Chinese New Year.

Co-director Bill Harpe said: ?The current building programme started in 2004 but we drew up the plans in 1973. It?s a case of persistence overcoming resistance.

?The city?s cultural strategy recognises the need for a performance place of medium scale, so we?re new but we?re not duplicating what the city has already got.? more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

My neighbours son, an architecture student, tells me that the Corinthian columns on the front of the church are extremely rare in Britain as they are made in one piece, instead of sections.

http://www.thejudge.me.uk/Not_blog/P...l_pg_l0011.htm

The stone came from Toxteth. Some information is in the China Town Area thread:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...hlight=blackie

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    THE North West?s only in-the-round auditorium is preparing to open its doors after a ?6m restoration.

Liverpool?s Black-E cultural centre hopes to start public performances of dance, drama and music in October.

more[/URL][/B]
    I hesitate to say it but surely the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester is a theatre in the round and has been there for about 30 odd years.