Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand National, 1965

Blog Entries

Default Grand National, 1965

The death of Ginger McCain caught my attention last week. He was, along with Red Rum of course, widely regarded as the main reason we still have the Grand National today. It is inconceivable to think that the race almost disappeared in the late 1960s. Under the ownership of Miriam Topham, the future of the [...]
    More...

nice pic as always colin.

collegepudding

Interesting pic' Colin! Though not a racegoer,I attended Aintree racecourse,during the making of "The Champion",as an extra! This was in the early 80's (I think?) and I remember being horrified at the state of the place,which was an absolute dump,and certainly didn't look a fit home for the "Greatest Steeplechase in the World"! Thankfully, it had some major investment,since!

Blog Entries

If there is one thing more noisy, messy and dangerous than a horse it's a racing car. I recall my mother had the GN bug, something she may have caught from her father. That must have been through the sixties, but things are way over the top these days. The whole of racing on the day revolves around the GN, no other races are run for ages around the time of this one race and after seeing the state of the most recent winner somebody better have their thinking cap on or the whole thing will go in a puff of smoke.
    There has to be more to this 'sport' than one afternoon's takings.

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    If there is one thing more noisy, messy and dangerous than a horse it's a racing car. .....
    Yes... but more fun to watch and smell that burnt castor oil - as opposed to smelling horse %^&*.

I did go to the 1961 UK F1 Grand Prix at Aintree - nothing quite like it. I think it was the next to last one (1962?) at Aintree.

For the younger "Yo" readers, this is what F1 race cars looked like then -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXuL3pUkSbE

Have a look

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

I think the stands are packed with people.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

My dad was born on Grand national day in 1938. Battleship won the race ridden by 17 year old Bruce Hobbs who is still the youngest jockey to win the national.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Yes... but more fun to watch and smell that burnt castor oil - as opposed to smelling horse %^&*.

I did go to the 1961 UK F1 Grand Prix at Aintree - nothing quite like it. I think it was the next to last one (1962?) at Aintree.

For the younger "Yo" readers, this is what F1 race cars looked like then -

Do you know why the motor racing stopped,Az?

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Do you know why the motor racing stopped,Az?
    Could that be Stirling Moss?
    I went to Queen Mary School and we could hear the practice runs around Aintree if we were out on the playing fields, we got to see Mike Hailwood on his motorbike and Stirling Moss raced at Aintree.

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    Could that be Stirling Moss?
    I went to Queen Mary School and we could hear the practice runs around Aintree if we were out on the playing fields, we got to see Mike Hailwood on his motorbike and Stirling Moss raced at Aintree.
    Hi Doris,they were two of the great's,but I always wondered why it came to an end,which I think,was around 1960/1/2?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    Could that be Stirling Moss?I went to Queen Mary School and we could hear the practice runs around Aintree if we were out on the playing fields, we got to see Mike Hailwood on his motorbike and Stirling Moss raced at Aintree.
    Apparently the last F1 Grand Prix was 1962, but racing was still going on in 1964/65.

I used to be a flag marshall on club practice evening, and one of the bennies was getting to drive your own car around the track to get to your assigned corner - just like a racing driver... The corners were very deceptive and tightened up in a hidden way as you got half way around them. Doris might have been hearing these evening practice sessions during the week.

I'm not sure when or why racing stopped, but wasn't there talk in the mid-60's of whats-her-name wanting to sell the land and develop it?

I did see my hero Jim Clark race in Aintree, but in reality Oulton Park was a far better track for the spectators, the slopes allowed much better views than the flat expanse of Aintree.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Hi Doris,they were two of the great's,but I always wondered why it came to an end,which I think,was around 1960/1/2?
    Aintree was dropped as an F1 GP circuit due to a couple of reasons: The racing fraternity and pro-Silverstone brigade didn't want the north to host it. Silverstone and Aintree alternated the British GP from 54 -60. Aintree hosted the 61 & 62 races (to the annoyance of Silverstone). Wolfgang von Trips won the 61 race (and was killed at Monza less than eight weeks later) the greatest driver ever (imho) Jim Clark won the final race at Aintree in 1962.
    The other reason why it was dropped was because it was a crap circuit.
    It is Accomplished

Nice to see you again Mark.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Hi Ged

Saying that Silverstone leaves a lot to be desired and should be confined to the scrapheap as well.
    It is Accomplished

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Aintree was dropped as an F1 GP circuit due to a couple of reasons: The racing fraternity and pro-Silverstone brigade didn't want the north to host it. Silverstone and Aintree alternated the British GP from 54 -60. Aintree hosted the 61 & 62 races (to the annoyance of Silverstone). Wolfgang von Trips won the 61 race (and was killed at Monza less than eight weeks later) the greatest driver ever (imho) Jim Clark won the final race at Aintree in 1962.
    The other reason why it was dropped was because it was a crap circuit.
    Thanks for the info.

Do you know when the smaller races stopped?

The practice evenings I mentioned were definitely later since I wasn't old enough to drive in 1962... I presume that these evening led to smaller sports car/saloon races at weekends since the track was fully maintained and signed.

PS - I remember being impressed how tall and wide those Grand National fences are when viewed up close.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Do you know when the smaller races stopped?

The practice evenings I mentioned were definitely later since I wasn't old enough to drive in 1962... I presume that these evening led to smaller sports car/saloon races at weekends since the track was fully maintained and signed:
    There is a great book The Unfulfilled Dream - The Story of Motor Racing at Aintree by Tony Bagnall published in 2004. It states that the last race was on 17 July 1982. Although I say that it was an average circuit I would have given my left arm to see Jim Clark race there (as many others). I envy you seeing him there and yes I agree - Oulton Park is a far better circuit. I was 2 when Clark died in 1968.
    There are some great photos and illustrations in that book (all b&w). It is quite expen£ive but worth it for the F1 fan and local interest of Aintree.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unfulfilled-.../dp/1903378176
    It is Accomplished

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast