Thread: Northumberland Buildings - Toxteth Park

Default Northumberland Buildings - Toxteth Park

I am looking for any information or recollections of Northumberland Buildings which could be entered from Gelling Strret or Northumberland Street.
    The reason being that I have several generations of my family tree who lived in these buildings from the 1880,s to the 1900,s
    I have never come across any photo,s of these buildings which I think may have been bombed during the blitz.
    Thank you.
    Dave

The following is from Toxteth.net website
    If you look at the directories for Northumberland St. it places Northumberland Buildings after the junction with Mill St. The latest entry (1966) has it between Mill St and the Dentists (which was on the junction with Lamport St).
    The directories list Northumberland Buildings, then Bees Seeds and then back to Northumberland Buildings again (but never both addresses at the same time)...confusing. Other directories may reveal more information. Maybe someone knows if Northumberland Buildings was next to Bees warehouse.

PhilipG

I don't know anything about Northumberland Buildings apart from seeing them on maps.
    They were probably private housing and appear on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map.
    By the time of the 1953 OS map half had gone.

They were behind the Farmer's Arms.
    New housing is being built in that area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northumberland 1890.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	2416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	northumberland 1953.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	2417  

I thought the 1966 directory information looked wrong as it lists the buildings further down, nearer Mill St. end.
    I'd say that area around Lamport, Northumberland and Essex Streets was built up mid-1950s to very early 1960s. (since cleared and new housing currently being built).
    Some of the Terraced housing, shown on the maps, to the right of Northumberland Buildings, were still there in the late 1960s.
    Someone told me there used to be a 'big ditch' where the flats were built in Northumberland Street. The flats were built 1960/61 approx. between the back of the Farmers Arms pub and Lamport Street. and so would have covered the area shown by the maps.
    I have found this photo reference, but relates to the newer flats:
    RefNo 352 ENG/2/20460-20467
    Title Northumberland Street Housing Area, New Flats and Old Property
    Date 29/03/1960
    Description A series of eight photographs of the Northumberland Street housing area showing the new flats that have been built and the old property that is still there.
    Extent 1 photograph
    AccessConditions Access will be granted to any accredited reader
    Copyright The copyright of the photograph belongs to Liverpool City Council. Permission to reproduce photograph must be obtained from Liverpool Record Office.
    Format Black & white print
    PhysicalDescription B & W print
    Dimensions 215 x 165 mm

Thanks to all of you who have put their two penneth in.
    The 2 o/s maps are very interesting, I have the 1st one and it shows the Northumberland Buildings upto the old Farmer's Arms.
    I was told how my grand mother was bombed in these buildings in the blitz and had to move out.
    That would explain the missing part.
    Also noted on the 1953 o/s map Gelling Hall, my mum and dad had the wedding celebrations there in 1943.
    So this hall must have replaced part of the building at some time.
    As a point of interest, Northumberland Building's had a nickname of Scotch Buildings.
    Last edited by xkopite; 04-24-2007 at 04:55 PM.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by xkopite View Post
    Thanks to all of you who have put their two penneth in.
    The 2 o/s maps are very interesting, I have the 1st one and it shows the Northumberland Buildings upto the old Farmer's Arms.
    I was told how my grand mother was bombed in these buildings in the blitz and had to move out.
    That would explain the missing part.
    Also noted on the 1953 o/s map Gelling Hall, my mum and dad had the wedding celebrations there in 1943.
    So this hall must have replaced part of the building at some time.
    As a point of interest, Northumberland Building's had a nickname of Scotch Buildings.
    Northumberland Buildings only goes up to the first "E" in STREET on the 1890 map.

I've found out more about it.
    There's no pictures in the library, unfortunately, but Northumberland Buildings were built about 1860 as an example of "Model Lodging Houses", an early example of what would later be called "Labourers' Dwellings" or tenements.
    They were built privately for rent by the Working Classes about 8 years before St Martin's Cottages in Liverpool which were the first example of Corporation Housing in Britain.

In 1863 "The Porcupine" (a weekly Liverpool paper) had an article about such dwellings, and they weren't very impressed by Northumberland Buildings which they described as "prison-like" and too expensive.

I've taken photos of the microfilm, but parts of the page are out of focus, but you should be able to get the jist of the article.

Northumberland Buildings should not be confused with tenements that were built in Northumberland Street in 1913.
    They were on the other side of Northumberland Street, and on the other side of Mill Street (and there is a photo).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porcupine 1.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	2439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porcupine 2.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	2441  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 04-24-2007 at 11:01 PM.

Phil
    Thanks for this info how did you get it so quick?
    I have seen a pic of some landing houses behind the Two Lines pub on Mill St are these the other buildings you refer to.
    Do you think Liverpool City Engineers Dept may have photo's of Northumberland building,s
    Many thanks for your input.
    Dave

PhilipG

Phil
    Thanks for this info how did you get it so quick?
    I have seen a pic of some landing houses behind the Two Lines pub on Mill St are these the other buildings you refer to.
    Do you think Liverpool City Engineers Dept may have photo's of Northumberland building,s
    Many thanks for your input.
    Dave

I've put a photo of the 1913 block in the Gardens, Tenements thread.
    These were next door to the Two Lions pub.
    Apart from the Record Office, are the City Engineers Dept photos anywhere else? Years ago they used to be in Steers House.
    Check out "Old Liverpool" (see link below) - I've put 2 more Northumberland Street photos there.

Phil
    Great pics, can you tell me the position of these buildings in regards to Northumberland Street layout.
    Cheers
    Dave

PhilipG

Phil
    Great pics, can you tell me the position of these buildings in regards to Northumberland Street layout.
    Cheers
    Dave
    If you go back to "Old Liverpool" now, 'south_liverpool' has described the layout much better than I could.