Thread: Tom Paine's Bones and the 4th Custom House.

Blog Entries

Default Tom Paine's Bones and the 4th Custom House.

Who was Tom Paine?

Thomas Paine, (February 9, 1737 – June 8, 1809) was an author, pamphleteer, radical, inventor, intellectual, revolutionary, and one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. Born in Thetford, Norfolk, Paine emigrated to the British American colonies in 1774 in time to participate in the American Revolution. He was the author of Common Sense, and The Rights of Man.

10 years after his death and burial in New York.

On Sunday, 21st November, 1819 William Cobbett arrived at Liverpool from America on board the ship Hercules. And following a short period of quarantine on Wednesday, 24th November, 1819, he made his way across to the Custom House, at the head of the old dock, where he was then directed to the yard behind. Then, in front of the custom officials he proceeded to open one of his trunks. His words:

"There, gentlemen, are the mortal remains of the immortal Thomas Paine."

John Lewis [Liverpool One] now occupies the site of the 4th Custom House & yard.

[Attached below, The Times, Wed, 24th Nov. 1819 and Sat, 27th Nov, 1819]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Willm Cobbett Times Ext 24 Nov 1819.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	16039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Willm Cobbett Times Ext 27 Nov 1819.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	385.9 KB 
ID:	16040  
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Nice one Dazza! I've read 'Rights of Man' and 'Common Sense'. Thomas Paine was a man ahead of his time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    Nice one Dazza! I've read 'Rights of Man' and 'Common Sense'. Thomas Paine was a man ahead of his time.
    He certainly was Ronnie. It's a slightly bizarre story, so wanted to see if there was any truth to it? I managed to find the original Times articles, only because I didn't quite believe it myself. It looks like it's true?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    He certainly was Ronnie. It's a slightly bizarre story, so wanted to see if there was any truth to it? I managed to find the original Times articles, only because I didn't quite believe it myself. It looks like it's true?
    Good work mate!

Thanks Dazza. I also now see there was also a Liverpool museum posting on the matter of Cobbett and the Bones a few weeks back. See Strange Cargo.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Chris, I'm not sure how I missed it? Did you see the 'Baltimore' reference in The Times article?

There's quite a few inaccuracies with their Museums of Liverpool version, assuming The Times is correct of course?

Their quote “Here are the bones of the late Thomas Paine!” differs. The Times offers "There, gentlemen, are the mortal remains of the immortal Thomas Paine."

Also the date of arrival of the Hercules on Tuesday, 23rd Nov. 1819. It actually arrived on Sunday, 21st Nov. 1819 but was not allowed to come a shore until after the quarantined period. He was set ashore on the 23rd. The inspection at the Custom House was on the 24th, not 23rd as they say. And finally, the inscription on the coffin name place was incomplete, not "Thomas Paine, aged 74, died 8th June 1809" as they suggest. It was "------ Pain,---- 180 , aged 74 years".

How long do you think we'll have to wait until there's a sighting of Tom Paine's ghost at John Lewis?

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    How long do you think we'll have to wait until there's a Tom Paine's ghost sighting at John Lewis?
    No need for theatricals: they already do a line in goose-feather duvets!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    No need for theatricals: they already do a line in goose-feather duvets!
    I wonder did he have to pay duty on dem bones, dem bones?

"Some partial hisses were heard"... Does this mean they were hisses that were making no bones about taking sides; or is the suggestion rather that they were feeble in volume, unlikely to be heard above all the vuvuzela-like racket?

Blog Entries

What was that? I can't hear you above all this racket.

"An immense number of people met him at the beach, and cheered him to the Inn"...Cobbett probably shouted some Tom Paine quote at them. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way". One think he wouldn't say "it's my round!"