Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Mosaics

scouserdave

Default Liverpool Mosaics

Ged's 85 Dale Street post got me thinking about having a thread dedicated to the mosaics found around Liverpool. I don't know about you, but I must have taken loads of shots without realising there was a mosaic in the picture.

Here's a few I took in Castle Street. All created by Frank Murray in 1889.

Brilliant those Dave. Some great art work there and captured perfectly. Apparently there was a mosaic scene above the head of Queen Victoria at her monument that has been taken down. The last I heard it was being sought for restoration and reinstallment.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Mosaics on the grave of Sir Andrew Barcley Walker at All Saints Childwall

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by robbo176 View Post
    Mosaics on the grave of Sir Andrew Barcley Walker at All Saints Childwall

Blooming 'eck!
    Stunning

If you keep scrolling down, some great ones of St. Philip De Neri church and others.

www.scottiepress.org/projects/litaly.htm

Haha on that same oage tho there is a link to the opera I am stage managing! (una voce opera 'daughters of the regiment' PLEASE COME SEE IT!)

Anywho...The moasic of the angel on the grave is beautiful, I love how it looks like the angel is watching down.

Does anyone know if the mosaic on the queen vic monument is a rumor? If not we should campaign for it to be restored where it belongs as I would love to see it!
    I wonder if he'll make me crawl. I wonder how far I might fall. I'm stuck beneath my skin I don't know who to blame for this mess I'm in. Involuntarily falling to my knees another victim of heart disease. Another Night without a dark tunnel, stay in bed so I can't be stolen. And everything revolves around the fear of my fate. Everyday a little closer to death.

MissDeamenour. Una McCauley is a good woman. I wish you all the success, in fact i'm attending the final night (for the party you see) at Southport on 19th May. There is a page somewhere on the Scottie press where the Queen Victoria Monument mosaic is reported as fact by the Tremarco family whom I think worked on it originally.

Hi Dave et al.

The Scottie Press site on Liverpool's Little Italy discusses how many of the mosaics in the city were done by Italian immigrant craftsmen or done by Italian craftsmen in Italy and imported into England. See

http://www.scottiepress.org/projects/litaly.htm

As you can see, the imposing mosaic that you photographed on the former British and Foreign Marine Insurance Company Building was done by Antonio Salviati (1816-1890), who founded his “laboratory of mosaic art” in Venice in 1859. See also http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/...r_39_00001.htm and http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mosaics+Salviati

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi Dave

I am trying to reconcile what is said on the Scottie Press site about Salviati being responsible for the mosaic at the former British and Foreign Marine Insurance Company Building and what is said on the link you provided, that Frank Murray was responsible and signed it in 1889. Hmmmm.... Could Salviati have provided the glass used in the mosaic and the actual design be Murray's? I'm not sure.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

scouserdave

Thanks for the info Chris. By the way, Ron from Scottie Press emailed me just a few minutes ago to tell me that his website is being reviewed by Lark Lane's Andrew Macaulay on Radio Merseyside at 17:50 this evening, so listen out for it folks

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    MissDeamenour. Una McCauley is a good woman. I wish you all the success, in fact i'm attending the final night (for the party you see) at Southport on 19th May. There is a page somewhere on the Scottie press where the Queen Victoria Monument mosaic is reported as fact by the Tremarco family whom I think worked on it originally.
    My god! you will actually meet me then! Argh! Now I am nervous. And yes, Una is a great woman, she has done alot for me, especially in the singing department (she gave me alot of solos alongside professional singers). She is a little annoyed I'm not singing in the opera but building props instead :S

They should deffinately find a way to restore the mosaic before 08, i think it would be fantastic as it would show some of the italian culture and heritage in our city but in an easy to find and see place (as some of the other beautiful mosaics are a little hard to find).
    I wonder if he'll make me crawl. I wonder how far I might fall. I'm stuck beneath my skin I don't know who to blame for this mess I'm in. Involuntarily falling to my knees another victim of heart disease. Another Night without a dark tunnel, stay in bed so I can't be stolen. And everything revolves around the fear of my fate. Everyday a little closer to death.

Did you get Johnny Kennedy's autograph, or maybe he got yours .

Blog Entries

Inside the foyer of the Royal Liverpool Hospital:

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

Haha ya beat us to it Robbo

Childwall 'we have the best ale AND the best graves'

Attachment 2108
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 07:25 PM.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Dave

I am trying to reconcile what is said on the Scottie Press site about Salviati being responsible for the mosaic at the former British and Foreign Marine Insurance Company Building and what is said on the link you provided, that Frank Murray was responsible and signed it in 1889. Hmmmm.... Could Salviati have provided the glass used in the mosaic and the actual design be Murray's? I'm not sure.

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    I've replied to this on another thread. Your suggestion makes more sense than mine!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast