Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alexei Sayle

Blog Entries

Default Alexei Sayle

Alexei David Sayle is a British comedian, actor and Communist. He was born in Anfield, Liverpool, England on August 7, 1952. He was a central part of the alternative comedy circuit in the early Eighties.

Overview

He has starred in many TV series and films, including The Comic Strip Presents, The Young Ones, and many stand-up comedy series. He also co-wrote many programmes, including The Young Ones and five series of his own stand-up/sketch shows, Alexei Sayle's Stuff.

Alexei's humour is typically Milliganesque yet original; for example a memorable sketch in Alexei Sayle's Stuff featured Alexei playing the part of Godot, hitch-hiking across contemporary northern England but never managing to get a lift.

In 1974, he married Linda Rawsthorn.

He had hit singles in the 1980s with "'Ullo John! Gotta New Motor?" and "Didn't You Kill My Brother?"

In 1989, he was awarded an International Emmy for his series Alexei Sayle's Stuff.

In 1995, he was awarded an honorary professorship at the Thames Valley University.

TV series

• The Young Ones (1982)
    • Alexei Sayle's Stuff (October 1988-November 1991)
    • The All New Alexei Sayle Show (1994-1995)
    • Alexei Sayle's Merry-Go-Round (1998)
    Movies

Records

• 'Ullo John! Got A New Motor?/Pop-Up Toasters (Island) (7" IS162, 12" 12IS162)
    • Didn't You Kill My Brother? (CBS, 1985) (7" A6553)
    Books

• Train To Hell (Methuen, 9th February 1984; hardcover ISBN 0413524604, paperback ISBN 0413524701) — novel
    • Geoffrey the Tube Train and the Fat Comedian (Methuen, 1987; paperback)
    • Alexei Sayle's Great Bus Journeys Of The World (Methuen, October 1989; paperback ISBN 0413626709) — collected columns from Time Out
    • Barcelona Plates (Sceptre, 17th February 2000; hardback ISBN 0340767529, paperback ISBN 0340767537) — short story collection
    • The Dog Catcher (Sceptre, 19th July 2001; hardcover ISBN 0340818689, paperback ISBN 0340819448) — short story collection
    • Overtaken (Sceptre, 1st September 2003; hardcover ISBN 0340767685) — despite Train To Hell, this was publicised as being Sayle's first novel
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I love Alexi Sayle
    He's a good dancer too you know. Not many people realise this but he's seriously good at stuff like Latin American dance.

Blog Entries

From a terraced house in Liverpool, through the crazy days of alternative comedy, Alexei Sayle has now reached a high perch in literary life. David Charters reports.

BEHIND his labrador eyes, darkened by the Russian/Jewish blood-line of his mother, the balding man, who has sprouted enough body hair to stuff a mattress, seems to see people passing him by as a parade of misfits on a lavishly buttered helter-skelter, whooshing uncontrollably to unknown destinations.

Yes, it could be said that God was in an experimental mood when he fashioned this bristling, combative chap and dropped him with a considerable thud into a terraced house in Liverpool in the grey post-war years when the brightest colour was on the Red Flag.

But then, as the son of communist parents, Alexei Sayle has never had much time for bruising his knees before God in a life which has taken him, bumping, cursing and laughing through grammar school, art college, rumbustious nights on the comedy circuit, radio, TV and movies, to his present lofty perch in literary London. Bloomsbury, to be precise.

But there is the ghost of a pause in his voice when Sayle, the son of a railway guard, says that he lives in half a Georgian house in the district, still celebrated for the famous "set", whose simpering ranks included Virginia Woolf, Maynard Keynes, Clive Bell and Lytton Strachey. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

DaisyChains

Anybody know when Alexei's Liverpool is due to be on TV?

Shapers

A great man who was criticised by Scousers few years ago for speaking the truth.

Blog Entries

Was he? What truth is this you speak of Shapers?

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Was he? What truth is this you speak of Shapers?
    Yes Kev, when he said Scousers could be too sentimental. He could of used a better example than Hillsborough but he was crucified for speaking his mind.

Steven

As a matter of personal choice. I found him to be unfunny, disgusting and I would never watch him again.

Shapers

what way was he disgusting? Freddie Starr and Stan Boardman, are but can't say Alexie was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shapers View Post
    Yes Kev, when he said Scousers could be too sentimental.
    I'll make my own mind up I think.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I'll make my own mind up I think.

You can Kev, and so can i.

Steven

I've already made my mind up on this one. There is a difference between the crudity at times of Stan and Freddie (which do carry a certain humour ) and the absolute distastefulness of your Mr. Sayle.

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I've already made my mind up on this one. There is a difference between the crudity at times of Stan and Freddie (which do carry a certain humour ) and the absolute distastefulness of your Mr. Sayle.

Depends really. Suppose Freddie Starr spitting beer into the audience, which he did in one of his videos is 'crude humour'. If he did it to me i would smack his face in.

John(Zappa)

Not fussy on Alexe meself.I always thought of him as a communist and an bit of an unfunny one too.I just don't like his humour or Dr Martens boots!!

Steven

Can I explain that I actually played guitar with Freddie Star and the Midnighters. The same guy had a bad bout of depression and should have got his job back on lines. He carried on and things did become worse. I believe that this was an illness and he is now trying to rectify it.

Alexi Sayles was not even forgiven by his mother, for his comments about Liverpool, nor will they ever be forgiven by me. As far as I am concerned he may as we apply for ajob on the Sun. They are both as welcome as farts in spacesuits in my part of the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast