Thread: Why 08's boring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just to pick up on a phrase Kat2 used :- "Yuppie Flats"

If the building rate on "Yuppie Flats" carries on at this rate there will be more of them in Liverpool than the much needed Council Houses.
    Just my thoughts.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

PhilipG

I thought European Capital of Culture was some sort of consolation prize given to poor cities to give them a boost.
    But isn't Liverpool saying it's even that poor that it can't afford it?

The Duke of Westminster will benefit from the Grosvenor development, but I don't think I'll be able to afford to do much shopping there!

kat2

Hi, Phredd,
    they dont build council houses any more, the more yuppie flats the better, that keeps the council tax down (higher band rating) where as social housing generally is a much lower band hence a short fall. I think its a good idea, recently over here I have mentioned to the chairman of the housing committe that we need to look at that concept here on the wirral, after all councils need money to provide services it collects revenue via its council tax service, the higher the band the more it collects which keeps the over all council tax level down. I have put forward that we need to look at building luxury estates in desirable areas to live. Social housing sadly seems to be in decline in liverpool, recently (i posted yesterday) one housing development company sold up and moved out of Liverpool. I know from my own council exeriences the best thing we did was get out of the council housing business. Thats not that I am against social housing but the sheer amount of maintainance costs on these estates through vandalism, and property damage had a severe impact on how much councils could spend, that and government capping.
    it became an endless cycle.
    back to capital of culture, I thought cities won based off certain critirial and Liverpool one due to its architectural significance.
    kat

Cadfael

The 08 celebrations will do one thing for Liverpool, and that's leave it like a ghost town when it's all over.

People are going to think that 2008 is going to be amazing and a full year long party, when in reality, you could probably see more of our heritage opened up in the Heritage Weekend in September than all year round in Liverpool.

On the plus side, the council are fitting new kerb stones to Edge Lane so that'll sort the traffic out....

I'd wondered the same thing for a couple of years now, especially since we seem to be losing our culture - nearly lost the Summer Pops and the Mathew St Festival in the same year, losing big pieces of history in the Planet lightship and the Manchester Dock, just to name a few.

But yes, we should be glad they've re-paved Church St as part of the celebrations

PhilipG

Capital of Culture is not about architecture.

I can see lots of 'high rise,(is that the right term) luxury flats' collecting dust or are there going to be an influx of millionares into the city?

Why is it that all these developers have to build so high? do they all have to be contendors for Skyscraper City or is it to be bigger than the 'joanses' (sp)?

How many of OUR liverpudlians can afford the prices that are being asked?

Four questions !!! I think its bed-time
    Nite all
    Phredd

kat2

Philip, I think you will find it is inclusive of architecture, after all what makes a great city, the last capital of culture they talked about its architecture.
    With regards to the Phredd, and high rise, I suppose its about real estate when you think about it? simply put how can I maximise return on a given peice of land in an area of outstanding importance? if they built a low rise building on the same spot no one could afford it! ** so, by building high you maximise your return for a popular spot.
    this in turn has a knock on effect because, it will certainly be in the higher council tax band, which has to be good for the city, Liverpool like wirral has too many homes in the lower council tax band, which is good for the likes or you and I, but not good for a city council trying to maximise input revenue to support the citys needs?
    hope that makes some economic sense?
    kat

Kat
    I may be way out of my depth here but how in Gods name can you collect, and make money, from a flat that no bug*er can afford ?

I will carry on living in my luxury VW Kamper Van

My education was 'approved' but my maths stunk.

Phredd (see I cannot spell Fred)

Default European Capital of Culture 2008

The central theme of Liverpool’s bid was ‘The World in One City’ complemented by the 3 supporting themes of Create: a new expression of 21st century British culture; Participate: a culture defined through participation; and Regenerate: a city made whole through cultural expression.