The recent Liverpool Echo article about the plan to develop the old Cain's brewery as a tourist attraction bodes well for this historic building.

Cain's is a magnificent building and it would be great to see something useful become of it instead of it being swept away as, unfortunately, has happened with other local historic buildings.

It strikes me that this might provide an opening for a Toxteth Heritage trail that might include Cain's along with the Florence Institute -- a similar red terracotta building to Cain's and of similar vintage -- St. James Church, St. Patrick's RC Church, Park Road, the Princes Road Synagogue, Princes, Otterspool, and Sefton Parks, the Brook House, Ringo's former houses, the Ancient Chapel of Toxteth, St. Michael's-in-the-Hamlet, etc.

Historic or Heritage Trails are very big here in the United States. Beginning in the 1990's, where I live in Maryland, my friend Robert Reyes and I lobbied local politicians and government agencies to establish a Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail to celebrate the events of 1813-1814 that led to the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner. We managed to catch the attention of politicians and the trail was signed into law by President George W. Bush. I have no doubt whatsoever that similar could be done for Toxteth, with an interested history-minded advocates and a public that would like to visit these historically and culturally interesting sites.