Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dingle - Good Place to Live?

Default The Dingle - Good Place to Live?

Hey everyone

I've had a good search around the forum for similar threads, and can't find anything much along similar lines.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation - I've just finished university in liverpool and love the place; i've been offered some employment here and really want to stay! Originally i'm from Newcastle so quite used to Northern ways of doing stuff and Liverpool seems kind of similar in many respects, which is what I like about it.

At the moment I live in Falkner Square, but it's far too expensive - i've found a really nice house in the Dingle, on one of the streets next to the river, running between Grafton Street and Cockburn Street. Been and had a look at the place, lovely little house and the area looks very well kept with nothing boarded up, houses with flower pots outside etc.

I was just wondering if I could get peoples opinions on that part of liverpool, and what the transport and stuff is like round there....Is it safe enough to walk to town and back? Am I going to get broken into/mugged?

Sorry if i sound ignorant, and sorry if i've offended any residents by even asking this question! I'm a Liverpool newbie

Many thanks all,

Chris.

Ah, I've got lots of family in Newcastle, welcome!

Nothing wrong in where you are planning on living. You are just as likely to get mugged in the more 'posh' parts of Liverpool as you are anywhere these days but it is very rare in reality.

You're a stones throw from Riverside Drive which the No 1 bus (or at least it was when i used it) will take you right in to town.

The 1 doesn't go to Riverside Drive any more. Not sure where it does go to be honest. Its the 48a now!

You would also be handy for Brunswick train station.

I've walked through that area many times without any hassle.

Never lived there though.

Mike

Lived in Badminton street for 20 years

Its a safe and friendly place to live. I've never had any bother, the alley gates have done well stoping break ins and as anoying as they are all the speed bumps have slowed the cars right down so ya dont see as many kids bouncin off bonets as ya used to.

Gangs of kids do apear now and again but usually just outside the offey on mill street on a friday night.

I've been to The Dingle, visiting and never found it a problem. The friend i have there say's he loves it. I agree with Cadfael about getting mugged in 'posh' places. It's a chance you take ANYWHERE. Good luck on your decision
    Life is what you make it

I live just below in city quay, Its a nice area, great for walking down to town along the front, not too far from greens gym or the train station and i think the bus along riverside drive is now the 82A. The only thing i could say i have a problem with is the lack of decent shops. There's Il Baicno down by the navy base which is a nice Italian restaurant/shop which is pretty good. Then there is the corner shop off one of the roads or there are more corner shops up by park road way.
    The kids try and congregate on the Herculaneum steps sometimes to have a drink but the police normally turn up pretty quick to move em on.

Other than that i know a few people who live on the top and they have been there for years. Its a nice community up there and the views are pretty good too.

Hope that helps

PhilipG

The Dingle is quite a large place.
    I live there and am nowhere near the places mentioned above.
    But I agree that there's nothing basically wrong with the area.
    Lots of shops near me, but no stations.
    (Apart from the Overhead!)

Quote Originally Posted by turbodeas View Post
    - i've found a really nice house in the Dingle, on one of the streets next to the river, running between Grafton Street and Cockburn Street. Been and had a look at the place, lovely little house and the area looks very well kept with nothing boarded up, houses with flower pots outside etc.

Chris.

My aunty lives in one of these streets - the streets that run down towards the river. They look nice with the plants and the houses are well kept. It is a nice little area around there and seems to be tucked away from the busier parts. You can usually get a good idea of the area when you see the houses are clean and well kept - the neighbours having pride in their environment.
    Great views there too.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodeas View Post
    Hey everyone

I was just wondering if I could get peoples opinions on that part of liverpool, and what the transport and stuff is like round there....Is it safe enough to walk to town and back? Am I going to get broken into/mugged?

Many thanks all,

Chris.
    The 107 and 207 buses pass along close by Mill Street and will take you right into the city centre ( Gt Charlotte St). The other way the 207 goes to Penny Lane via Lark Lane, Sefton Park and Allerton road. The houses you are thinking of living in are amongst the last of their type to have been built in Liverpool before WW1; so you've been spared the pebble dash exteriors of post WW1 property !!!
    Last edited by taffy; 06-27-2008 at 01:29 PM.

PhilipG

I didn't realise pebble-dash was looked down on!
    Up till now, I loved my little house.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I didn't realise pebble-dash was looked down on!
    Up till now, I loved my little house.
    Pebbledash tends to fall off !!!

It's a good area, or was 20 years ago, we carried out plenty of improvements to the houses running down to grafton street, elswick, sandbeck, cockburn, malwood etc... don't know if you are planning to rent or buy but just be careful as every house has subsided somewhat, all the front door frames are between an inch and 2 inches out or plumb, its as if they are all falling towards the river, we used to have problems when we replaced the frames and put them in plumb as they looked terrible because the rest of the house was leaning over

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Pebbledash tends to fall off !!!
    You mean like the Sphynx's nose?

Fwiw, I was born in the Dingle and lived there until I was 14. Went to school at Upper Park St and Welly Rd. I still have family and friends there so I'm probably biased, but I'd recommend the Dingle to anyone.
    A small belief can mean you'll never walk alone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    You mean like the Sphynx's nose?
    That was knocked off. British soldiers used it for a cannon target at one time.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    That was knocked off. British soldiers used it for a cannon target at one time.
    I read somewhere that that was a myth Waterways.

It does sound a bit unlikely.
    A small belief can mean you'll never walk alone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast