Thread: Boxing Ring.....

Default Boxing Ring.....

hope I am on the right thread page for this but does any one remember a boxing ring that was in a road running from Old Hall Street to the road that the David Lewis Northern was on....sorry I cannot remember the name of the road the hospital was on....having a senior moment I 'm afraid.....

At least I am sure it was a boxing ring.....but I remember walking past it from the train Station..Moorfields....to the hospital on my way back from visiting the family in Crosby as I lived in the nurses home at the Northern....this would have been 1976-1978

Sorry if I am confused with my bearings..been away such a long time.....
    Last edited by Maggie May; 06-26-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: error

PhilipG

It's got to be the Stadium in St Paul's Square, at the end of Bixteth Street.

Scroll down this thread for a couple of photos:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...+boxing&page=5
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-26-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks for that but it doesnt look like I am picturing it....there was nothing else on this little street except the building......I used to get off the train at Moorfields....turn r and instead of going down Old Hall Street past St Pauls Eye Hospital and then r to the Northern I used to take a short cut through a little road that had this arena/ring in it.... if you walked past it the road led you straight tot he front of the main entrance to the hospital.......

John(Zappa)

Maggie May
    Try this link here and see if that jogs your memory

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...t=boxing+arena

PhilipG

I'm sorry to repeat myself, but there was only one boxing arena in Liverpool, and I've directed you to photos of it.

Yes I saw thankyou...maybe it just looks different in the pictures I dont remember there being all those other buildings around but then its a long time ago
    Last edited by Maggie May; 06-26-2008 at 11:20 PM.

BTW I didnt mean to offend you ...sorry

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    BTW I didnt mean to offend you ...sorry
    I wasn't.
    It's just that with your detailed description, it had to be the Stadium.
    BTW, those photos are from the 1980s, not long before it was demolished.

Thankyou............so what is the big glass looking building behind it....to me it looked the the New Royal..or what was the new Royal back when...probably the Old Royal now....is it the BMW or Mercedes place or something like that that they built on the site of the DLN Hospital

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    Thankyou............so what is the big glass looking building behind it....to me it looked the the New Royal..or what was the new Royal back when...probably the Old Royal now....is it the BMW or Mercedes place or something like that that they built on the site of the DLN Hospital
    It was the Littlewoods Building on Old Hall Street.

Was the short cut through a subway under Exchange Station?
    That went from Pall Mall to St Paul's Square, where the Stadium was.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-27-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Possibly.....plse forgive my fading memory........I do remember it being quite dark at night and feeling quite nervous walking along there on my own....funny how your mind remembers things in a certain way.....but then when you see it again for real or in a pic its totally different..... see I dont even remember the Little woods building.....just that it saved me a slightly longer walk past St Pauls Eye Hospital.....