Thread: Frankie Vaughan

Blog Entries

Default Frankie Vaughan

DOB...3 February 1928
    Liverpool, England, UK

British pop singing star with Top 10, hits including "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" and "Green Door". Studied at Leeds College of Art, but switched to show business after his audition succeeded and led to week's work in music hall. Went on to stardom as "Mr. Moonlight" in English variety-show world, based on his hit tune, "Give me the Moonlight". Famous for his formal tails/top hat outfit, starred in cabaret shows in New York and Las Vegas, too. Also starred in British stage production of musical "42nd Street". Awarded O.B.E. in 1965 and C.B.E. in 1997. Most famous film moment: performing musical number with Marilyn Monroe in Let's Make Love (1960).
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post

DOB...3 February 1928
    Liverpool, England, UK
    British pop singing star with Top 10, hits including "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine" and "Green Door". Studied at Leeds College of Art, but switched to show business after his audition succeeded and led to week's work in music hall. Went on to stardom as "Mr. Moonlight" in English variety-show world, based on his hit tune, "Give me the Moonlight". Famous for his formal tails/top hat outfit, starred in cabaret shows in New York and Las Vegas, too. Also starred in British stage production of musical "42nd Street". Awarded O.B.E. in 1965 and C.B.E. in 1997. Most famous film moment: performing musical number with Marilyn Monroe in Let's Make Love (1960).
    Edited from source:
    A bit late with this obituary. My oul fella met him a few times, due to his (Dad's) involvement with the Rankin Boys Club on Shiel Rd

Glasgow 'peacemaker' Frankie Vaughan dies

He successfully urged Glasgow gangs to give up their weapons

Legendary crooner Frankie Vaughan has finally lost his long fight for life, more than four months after undergoing serious heart surgery.

The 71-year-old singer, dubbed "Mr Moonlight" after one of his hits, Give Me The Moonlight, died in the early hours at his home in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire.

Mr Vaughan, famous for his tuxedo, top hat and cane, had a history of health problems. He came out of hospital about three weeks ago, after undergoing six operations.

At the end of 1986 he almost died of peritonitis - an inflammation of the abdomen - after failing to seek medical help because he wanted to continue working.

In October 1992 he had emergency surgery for a ruptured artery.

The young Frankie Vaughan

But in his heyday, Mr Vaughan had musical success on both sides of the Atlantic.
    His singing was accompanied to delighted squeals from his adoring, mostly female, audience.

Tributes have been pouring in for him, including from the people of Easterhouse in Glasgow.

The entertainer got involved with a youth project in Easterhouse in the late 1960s.

He played a concert in Glasgow and was so appalled by violence levels that he held meetings with gang leaders and appealed for people to surrender their weapons.

Easterhouse councillor Jim Coleman, the depute leader of Glasgow City Council, said: "Frankie Vaughan will always be very fondly remembered by the people of Easterhouse.

His flamboyant act and hits including Green Door and Garden of Eden, ensured his fame as a popular showman and entertainer for well over 30 years.

He was born Frank Abelson in Liverpool in 1928. After winning a crooning contest in Leeds, where he studied commercial art, he was given a spot in a show at Kingston-upon-Thames, and created something of a sensation.

He took the stage name Vaughan because his Russian grandmother had said he would be her "number vorn" singer.

He was Showbusiness Personality of the Year in 1957 and after that often topped the bill in the West End.

In later years he described himself as Pop of the Pops. When he took over the part of the Broadway producer in 42nd Street, it was his first appearance in musical comedy.

He had to give up the role in late 1986, after about a year, due to ill health.

But he always maintained his loyalty to Boys Clubs because of the help that he was given while a refugee in Lancaster during World War II. He gave them the royalties from Green Door in 1956.

In 1964 he was appointed to a committee set up to advise on juvenile delinquency.

Frankie Vaughan and his wife Stella married in 1951. They had three children and several grandchildren.

Hi all

As mentioned on this BBC website on the Liverpool Jewish community, Frankie Vaughan, born Frank Abelson in Liverpool in 1928, was Jewish: "In entertainment - Frankie Vaughan is synonymous with Liverpool and the Jewish community,. . ." The other BBC site referenced above, in giving other information on the singer's background, states that he had a Russian grandmother and "he always maintained his loyalty to Boys Clubs because of the help that he was given while a refugee in Lancaster during World War II." His story appears a bit similar to American TV news reporter Ted Koppel, born in Lancashire, England, in 1940 after his Jewish parents fled Germany due to the rise of Hitler and the Nazis. Although Mr. Koppel ended up in the United States, when his parents emigrated to the United States when he was age 13, whereas Mr. Vaughan stayed in the United Kingdom.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Cool frankie vaughn

hey you guys, you really are the best on YoLiverpool..

the information on thios site is second to none, full of interesting titbits about our famous residents...

my mum once danced with him when she was younger and boy, he left his mark...

keep it coming lads...

Lemmo...

I will always remeber his film = 'These dangerous years'.
    Filmed in Liverpool and around what we knew those days as the 'Cazy' the 'Cast Iron Shore', up by Oglet and Poverty Nook now the present airport as I remeber.
    May be a bit out on the locations.

Phredd

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    I will always remeber his film = 'These dangerous years'.
    Filmed in Liverpool and around what we knew those days as the 'Cazy' the 'Cast Iron Shore', up by Oglet and Poverty Nook now the present airport as I remeber.
    May be a bit out on the locations.

Phredd
    I've put a little bit about Frankie and Dangerous Years on the " Favourite Liverpool Movie" thread phredd....Take no notice if yerv already seen it !!
    Last edited by Gerard; 02-16-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I've put a little bit about Frankie and Dangerous Years on the " Favourite Liverpool Movie" thread phredd....Take no notice if yerv already seen it !!

Had not seen it so will go and do so now.
    Thanks Gerard.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post

As a kid, I was in that film as an extra. Frankie took over York House next to the David Lewis and put a cage on the roof so we could play football.

What happened to that and to the 'Jamie' picture house just around the corner ?
    Last edited by Steven; 04-03-2007 at 04:09 PM.