Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fairfield - St John the Divine Church

Letters were posted around the local roads to say that the building 'IS' coming down - though it didn't say when.

Isn't it nice that the Vicar still gets to keep his Vicarage around the corner even though he's campaigning for the church to go too...

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Letters were posted around the local roads to say that the building 'IS' coming down - though it didn't say when.

Isn't it nice that the Vicar still gets to keep his Vicarage around the corner even though he's campaigning for the church to go too...
    He is a nasty pasty

If it goes we should all dress as Devil worshipers and call at the vicarage saying " look what you have done to us "

It is a stunning church, it is easily spotted above the houses as i come through kensington. a few years back i had to turn off and find this fine looking spire. wow was i glad i did, what a beautiful church.

Shame on them and shame on the vicar
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    He is a nasty pasty

If it goes we should all dress as Devil worshipers and call at the vicarage saying " look what you have done to us "

It is a stunning church, it is easily spotted above the houses as i come through kensington. a few years back i had to turn off and find this fine looking spire. wow was i glad i did, what a beautiful church.

Shame on them and shame on the vicar
    I was heading to town a few days ago when it was a nice crisp morning and stopped at the traffic lights at the end of the Tech Park/Wavertree Park. All I saw was a misty park with the light catching the spire and making it glow above the trees. What a bloody crime.

I am SO pleased to announce that St John the Divine has finally been saved!!!

People power indeed! It took a few of us to get off our arses, construct a website and constantly highlight the plight of the church.

Now will shall have this fine structure for another few hundred years hopefully!!!

St John the Divine Victorian church spire saved - Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk

Well done Bro Cad.

It's not in my area but looks a fine piece of architecture with a history and should not be lost willy nilly like so many others before it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Well done Cad and all those involved. I know I may have differed in opinion with you as to the importance of St Johns, but I am truly glad that it has been saved. It gives me hope that other things in this city can be protected if people would just be willing to work at it.

Once again, your hard work payed off and you should rightly be proud of your achievement. Well done.

thank you Cadfael, for doing something positive and spending your time and money for your passion, well done sir

Spire saved by campaigners
    Dec 11 2008
    by David Bartlett, Liverpool Daily Post

CAMPAIGNERS last night claimed a victory for people power after it was announced a threatened Victorian church spire in Fairfield, Liverpool, has been saved from demolition.

The church council of St John the Divine has agreed a deal which has rescued the spire of the church.

They agreed to sell the building to developers Huyton-based DDL90 at a much reduced cost, in return for an agreement that the spire will remain intact. It followed a concerted effort from local heritage campaigners, councillors, and the charity Save Britain?s Heritage, whose expert stonemasons proved the building had a financially viable future.

Last night, Jonathan Brown, of Merseyside Civic Society, said: ?We regret the diocese had to be shamed by public outrage into doing the right thing, but congratulate them for eventually seeing the light. We are also very grateful to the Daily Post for its coverage of the story.?

Liverpool Diocese decided in June that the spire had to be knocked down because the structure might collapse and costs of repair were prohibitive.

The church won a special court case to allow it to demolish the spire in September, but only yesterday announced the deal to save it.

Last night, the city?s historic environment champion Cllr Berni Turner; Cllr Colin Eldridge, who campaigned to save the spire, and Fairfield?s Cllr Louise Baldock said they were delighted by the decision.

And the Venerable Ricky Panter, Archdeacon of Liverpool, said the case showed the dilemma facing many of the diocese?s churches. ?On this occasion, the church council were able to agree a rescue package, but this isn?t always the case and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made?.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Cheers All! I am happy just to receive the final point, which is that the church has been saved. Anytime I get involved in a project like this, it costs time and money but I simply do it for the people of Liverpool.

The only sad part is that the Vicar is made out to be the trump card in all of this, if only the press had been at the Public Meeting to hear him say time after time that the church has no place in Fairfield and that it should be bulldozed straight away. He spoke about the church as it was a business, and not a historic place of worship and to make it sound like it all balanced on his views was a farce.

It was the likes of me and Jonathan Brown that got up off our arses and constructed a website and constantly campaigned to keep this church upright - the bottom line is that we had to embarrass the dioceses in to realising that the church was actually safe and brought in Save Britain's Heritage for an independant view - which they agreed with.

All I ever wanted was for this church to remain on the skyline of Liverpool and it has been done, that's all the thanks I need

It's amazing that it takes ordinary people like yourselves and Kay Kelly too (St. Mary of the Angels aka The Friary) to embarrass the diocese into saving 'their' holy places of worship.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

This was in The Post:

Saved spire

RE: YOUR story about the St John the Divine Fairfield ?Spire saved by campaigners? (Daily Post, Thursday, December 11).

Having been closely involved with the whole process of dealing with a serious health and safety issue in what is actually a non-listed building, I know exactly how much help the campaigners gave in saving the spire ? none at all.

They didn?t save it ? the local church and a private purchaser did, as our statement made plain.

I personally liaised with Will Palin, of SAVE Britain?s Heritage, who has been constructive and supportive, understanding how difficult this situation was to resolve, and has written today congratulating the church and diocese on brokering the deal.

Unlike SAVE, Jonathan Brown has never spoken to me to obtain the facts about the situation, yet he feels able to suggest that the diocese was shamed into taking this action.

In doing so, he ignores the huge amount of ongoing work that the diocese and local congregations undertake on a daily basis to preserve many of the city?s finest buildings. And this work rarely gets any public mention.

The so-called ?campaign? to save the spire of St John?s actually changed nothing and did nothing.

All the processes we went through were normal and necessary.

The one thing the campaigners might have offered, financial assistance, was notable in its absence.

Few of us appreciate being told how to spend our money, yet campaigners were asking the local congregation to fall on their swords to protect a landmark. That is not the church?s prime business, yet they still dug into their own pockets to make the deal possible.

It?s fine to have lofty ideals about maintaining landmarks, but, unless there is a recognition of the financial costs involved, and a cool assessment of the comparative quality of the building ? and English Heritage and the listing authority are the final word on that ? it is little more than hot air.

St John?s spire is a notable feature on the approach to Liverpool down Edge Lane Drive.

I was as keen as anyone to see it saved, and have personally engaged with as many people as I could in order to find a solution. To be pilloried when we achieve another small victory for a local community is very unfair.

Archdeacon Ricky Panter, via email

What are they on? Can they get me some of it?

Constant e-mail's to Ricky/Constant telephone calls to Ricky to highlight that the spire could not be possibly chucking stones over in to the road (unless Fairfield has a different gravitation pull) fell on deaf ears. Now that we have shamed the PCC in to actually trying to sell it as a going concern and not simply pull it down, and we're given the usual waffle.

Saving many of the liverpool buildings? Churches? Don't make me laugh - Sandfield Tower was a private Church, Rodney Street is little more than dereliction, Toxteth Princes Park has been left to the looters.

The whole process was nothing?

We made sure that this hidden church, with a hidden demolition story was brought to light and we completed our task - by showing people that Joe Public can rule against the people who just want to demolish our heritage so they can put up some prefab flats and line their pockets.

I wonder if the Echo would consider printing the full Judges report?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345