Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fairfield - St John the Divine Church

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    It was just a general comment not aimed at you Cadfael but I do feel it's pointless trying to preserve an old building that no few then attend, cf for example St Margaret's, Toxteth which had £500,000 spent on it.
    The view that I take is that Fairfield was once a thriving village and would have been well supported by the church. These days, fairfield is literally a long forgotten name and that is one of the reasons for the church being made redundant.

My problem is that with the regeneration of the church in the last 30 years, the interior (and exterior as I see it) is in a fine condition and the reason for the publicity is to see whether a group or school could take on the building for its needs. Too many times we hear of 'I wish they hadn't knocked down that building as we could have used it'. Unless Fairfield was in the Echo, I'd never of heard of it's plight either. But a redundant church, in my view, doesn't have to be demolished until every other option is looked at, and publicity given on the new state of the interior.

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if Fairfield has ever been called a village? Isn't it more of an estate with it's origins in the georgian era - hardly an original village of Liverpool.

Just had an e-mail from SAVE Britain's Heritage. They are coming up to inspect the exterior of the building via a cherry picker to see for themselves the situation.

Watch this space...

I have some information that could be useful.

While seeking out information on an unrelated matter, I found the following passage in the Daily Post, 22nd March 1922. The passage refers to Alderman Edward Hatton Cookson of Kiln Hey, Sandfield Park, West Derby. Mr Cookson was a very rich shipping merchant and former Lord Mayor of Liverpool.

"Last year he presented to the parish of St John The Divine, Fairfield, with which church he was associated in his early years a plot of land in Holly Road adjacent to the church with the object of providing a site for lawn tennis and kindred recreations."

If there is an intention to develop the wider area following demolition, there could be covenants on the plot of land to protecting its use.

chippie

Hi Gorlan I,ve got a feeling the land was sold and they built a small house for the vicar on a part of it which is still there, BUT, I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by GorLan View Post
    I have some information that could be useful.

While seeking out information on an unrelated matter, I found the following passage in the Daily Post, 22nd March 1922. The passage refers to Alderman Edward Hatton Cookson of Kiln Hey, Sandfield Park, West Derby. Mr Cookson was a very rich shipping merchant and former Lord Mayor of Liverpool.

"Last year he presented to the parish of St John The Divine, Fairfield, with which church he was associated in his early years a plot of land in Holly Road adjacent to the church with the object of providing a site for lawn tennis and kindred recreations."

If there is an intention to develop the wider area following demolition, there could be covenants on the plot of land to protecting its use.
    That's very interesting on too accounts, one as it's about the church and two because Kiln Hey used to be a Nursing home where my mum worked (called Alder Grange) - I've done a one page special on the Cookson Window there:

http://www.buildingatrisk.co.uk/#/kilnhey/4528011241

Default Edward Hatton Cookson

At the risk of going off on a slight tangent, the following attachment might interest you further. I retrieved the information from the Times Archive on-line.

I found a lot more on EHC under "Liverpool Worthies" in the Family History section in the Central Library.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EhcBequest.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	7601  

Quote Originally Posted by GorLan View Post
    At the risk of going off on a slight tangent, the following attachment might interest you further. I retrieved the information from the Times Archive on-line.

I found a lot more on EHC under "Liverpool Worthies" in the Family History section in the Central Library.
    Very interesting If the Times-online can find that..I'm off to see what else it can find!!

Default Back on track

Just to bring your thread back on track, the following advice looks good:

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/features/f0000265.shtml

We could really do with a modern day Edward Hatton Cookson to help out here.

GorLan

I had an e-mail today to say that EH will not be listing St John's the Divine and thought I would like to know the reasons why. I'll be updating the website today with the full listing of why it won't be listed.

I have to say I agree with them on their reasons but it was certainly worth a try all the same.

However, with other information at hand, if the tower/spire is to be kept in a future redevelopment plan, it would save lots of red tape by the building not being listed.

Gnomie

I have only just read this thread, this is shocking. I have sent an email to the Bishop, but it looks hopeless

Is there a protest group going to gather at the church? i would be a part of that.

Gnomie

Taken in 2005

Lovely pictures Gnomie. What a shame about this church.

There has been some good news in that the church insurance has been extended while all of this is sorted out. While EH won't list the building (little remaining from the remake of the 80's, Save have been along to the church with a Cherry Picker and have seen the spire for themselves. I'm waiting on a report to be passed to me but the top and bottom is that the original safety report was a load of arse and that the building, tower and spire is in fine condition - they could have people in to 'make safe' the spire and make it last another 100 years and have already organised plans to at least keep the tower/spire in a new possible 'build'.

Press are well informed and so is the bish!

I've added the letters to the website:

http://www.fairfieldspire.co.uk/#/links/4529916842
    Last edited by Cadfael; 08-05-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast