Thread: atlas cinema rice lane walton

Default atlas cinema rice lane walton

regarding prevous threads, atlas cinema was opened in 1914 and closed in 1958, it remained closed and derelict until it was demolished in 1981, I llived in willowdale road and my mum was dinner lady at northcote road school. I remember throstles nest at side of atlas and the stanley pub, as i collected the old higsonian beer mats (ann field, rock ferry etc) . also beacnsfield road and the old lady who held out to stop her house being demolished, cavendish road/sandon road/northcote road which led to the tunnel entrance of walton hall park/the railway ran overhead, delco soap workks and iron foundry. now living in aintree. anyone remember warbreck station and walton vale cinema? cinema was demolished in 1960's to build block of shops but i remember the derelict warbreck station.

Quote Originally Posted by warbreck View Post
    regarding prevous threads, atlas cinema was opened in 1914 and closed in 1958, it remained closed and derelict until it was demolished in 1981, I llived in willowdale road and my mum was dinner lady at northcote road school. I remember throstles nest at side of atlas and the stanley pub, as i collected the old higsonian beer mats (ann field, rock ferry etc) . also beacnsfield road and the old lady who held out to stop her house being demolished, cavendish road/sandon road/northcote road which led to the tunnel entrance of walton hall park/the railway ran overhead, delco soap workks and iron foundry. now living in aintree. anyone remember warbreck station and walton vale cinema? cinema was demolished in 1960's to build block of shops but i remember the derelict warbreck station.
    I remember very well the places that you mentioned. Here is a pic of the Atlas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c10.jpg 
Views:	1764 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	6846  
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

John(Zappa)

Great pic Sirob.

Here's another thread on the area.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...throstles+nest

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Hi Warbreck.

Welcome.
    Do you know what the new building on the site of the Atlas is?
    Does anybody know? Because there are no clues at all.

I can't picture it. Only went that way yesterday too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default the atlas

there was a small opening on the dunlop side of the building where u could get in

Partsky

Default Building on the old Atlas site

Havent been that way for a while but isnt the building that stands of the site the Social Services building?

Hi ..I'm new to the site but I remember the Atlas and The Throstles Nest well!. I grew up in Orrell Park and often used to walk down that way to get to Walton Hall Park! I remember the guys playing Pitch and Toss in the streets behind the Atlas with a look-out on every corner in case the cops turned up!

I;m looking for photographs of the Orrell Park area myself circa 1959 > 1970. These days I have a regret that I never had a camera back then because it was a great area with some interesting buildings etc. but at the moment I've only been able to grt a couple of pictures of the station and the Warbreck pub. If anyone has such photo's that I can get copies of I'd be very grateful!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delzx7r View Post
    Hi ..I'm new to the site but I remember the Atlas and The Throstles Nest well!. I grew up in Orrell Park and often used to walk down that way to get to Walton Hall Park! I remember the guys playing Pitch and Toss in the streets behind the Atlas with a look-out on every corner in case the cops turned up!

I;m looking for photographs of the Orrell Park area myself circa 1959 > 1970. These days I have a regret that I never had a camera back then because it was a great area with some interesting buildings etc. but at the moment I've only been able to grt a couple of pictures of the station and the Warbreck pub. If anyone has such photo's that I can get copies of I'd be very grateful!
    Hi delz,welcome. I am from around Orrel Park and my dad lives in Walton rd. See Ged's site inacityliving for old pics . I can get you pics of today.
    Good luck.

Hi ItsaZappathing
    Thanks for that...I have quite a few recent pictures...I have some on Google Earth of Devonfield Road and the old goods line that ran from Hartleys to the docks with a couple of memories posted up with them but I'd really like to get some of Orrell Park when I was growing up! I loved the place ( still do in a way ) and I wish I could get some images to jog some more memories!
    Del

Quote Originally Posted by delzx7r View Post
    Hi ItsaZappathing
    Thanks for that...I have quite a few recent pictures...I have some on Google Earth of Devonfield Road and the old goods line that ran from Hartleys to the docks with a couple of memories posted up with them but I'd really like to get some of Orrell Park when I was growing up! I loved the place ( still do in a way ) and I wish I could get some images to jog some more memories!
    Del
    I live in Orrell Park myself. Ill have a look around for some pics but probably havnt got many from my childhood (more late 70's early 80s)

The sad part of the photos i do have are of the trees and how leafy it was around there back then. Its a shame that most of the trees got Dutch Elm Disease and had to be removed.

I always remember walking down the Rallah too. I cant beleive that we could used to walk down there, its like a jungle down there now.

Here is the obituary for the Atlas, from 1958. It is a pity that nobody ever got a picture of the inside, plenty of people went inside it when it was a wreck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c1580021958 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	16073  
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirob View Post
    Here is the obituary for the Atlas, from 1958. It is a pity that nobody ever got a picture of the inside, plenty of people went inside it when it was a wreck!
    It was a wreck Sirob,if it shut down in 58 ,i would of been under 7ys old when i saw my last film at the Atlas, The Purple Gang, went with my mum.maybe thats why ive never forgot,the seats were a wreck and not many people in.and i was used to chaos on a saturday morning at the pics round the Astoria those days, so it must of been a dump if thats how i remember it.