Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Swan in general

Great maps and info, Fortinian
    Here are a couple of photos I took from around 1985 on Christmas Day, a pipe burst on Prescot Rd and the water reached past Dovecot.
    Martin.

From the top of Woodhall Rd

From the top of Woodhall Rd

and from the top of Fitzgerald Rd

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post

This is from an old Tithe Map in the 1830s I think.
    To give you an idea of direction plot '2473' is roughly where St Oswald Church is now. Also clearly shown is the 'quarry' at what would become Hoults Corner

This one is interesting because it shows the Old Swan Glass Works (plot 2477 and 2476). These Glass Works were bought by Pilkingtons and Chances in 1855. The huge round bit would have been the 'cone' where the furnace was located.
    Very interesting Fortinian! Is that Elm House on the second map, top centre?

Prescot Road in 1953 at its junction with Pemberton Road. The original parade of 'Swan Row' shops in evidence behind the bus. Irwins had been on that site since 1908.

St Oswalds street from Hoults corner on Prescot Road c1906. Many locals including a young Mart from this thread pose for the camera. Amongst the businesses on the right are J.R. Dinsdale, Farmer & cowkeeper and Moorcroft's fruiterers. Further on is the hanging barrel shaped globe of the Royal Standard pub and beyond that are the three brass balls of Cookson's pawnbrokers.

Both photographs and information from Paul Bolger's fantastic Edwardian A-Z book - part 2.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Applause

Ged, Great pics yet again, I've not seen these before.

I will post a few of mine from around Old Swan, from Various sources, books etc. Thanks for these.
    BTW
    That's not me as a kid as I wasn't born until after 1907

Thanks Mart. One more from the book, the 3 set of which I cannot recommend highly enough. 1908 Ordance survey maps/A-Z form - also selected main thoroughfares from the Kellys directories showing businesses/residents and of course dozens of photos like these.

This is looking east along Prescot Road towards Green Lane c1914. Greenberg's is at No.379, then a general contractors offering plumbing, gasfitting, painting, decorating ironmongery and glazing, but now known as major glass suppliers to the city.

Beyond that is the New Premier Picturedrome which was one of the city's oldest purpose built picture houses and the first in the Old Swan area. Before 'talkies' films, it also staged variety acts and melodramas such as Ivanhoe, the black 13 and dynamited love. It opened in 1912 but closed in 1959 and was converted to a furniture store named Marsh's. When the frontage was changed, I remember this as a Blundell's catalogue shop and then, now set further back, it was the premier pub.

The then Green Lane hotel can be seen endorsing Blezard's Ales - a Scotland Road brewery whose premises were on the same block as the Rotunda Theatre.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    Very interesting Fortinian! Is that Elm House on the second map, top centre?
    Elm House is a very common name on these type of maps...as is the 'The Elms'. I've been stuying this map quite a bit actuallly.

I do know that this particuar 'Elms' was the home of a chap called Henry Wilson at one point. It gives its name to 'Elm House Road' in Old Swan, which ran behind the property that I think actually ran alongside Edge Lane.

The 'Glass House Pub' at the top of Cunningham Road and Mill Lane. Is probably named after the Glassworks which I now think was located at the opposite side of Edge Lane.

Most interesting of all is at the other end of the image however. If you look at the building called 'May Place' and overlay it to a modern map the footprint of the building fits the house now called 'Craven Lodge Funeral Home'. This could be the same building or just another building built on he same footprint.

Even more interesting is just to the right of 'May Place' is a small horseshoe shaped building which I think is still standing... i.e. the builders yard next to All Saints Church Stoneycroft, at the other end of Cunningham Road. If that is the case then the patch of grass that is now opposite the building yard used to be a small pond.

Brilliant.

They are some nice pics of Old Swan.

Old Swan now I can't stand to go to.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Great pics Ged, Ive never seen them
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

It gives its name to 'Elm House Road' in Old Swan, which ran behind the property that I think actually ran alongside Edge Lane.
    Yes, the house was in Edge Lane and was still there until around 1996, when it was demolished.

Blog Entries

Nice one Ayjaykay... thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to have a picture (or know someone who has a picture) of this house would you?

There is a book on Old Swan with a picture of Elm House.

Found this "Elm House" ( Wavertree ? )

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/pastli.../pages/r45.htm

Martin

Default Greenberg Glass

[QUOTE=Ged;163625]Thanks Mart. One more from the book, the 3 set of which I cannot recommend highly enough. 1908 Ordance survey maps/A-Z form - also selected main thoroughfares from the Kellys directories showing businesses/residents and of course dozens of photos like these.

This is looking east along Prescot Road towards Green Lane c1914. Greenberg's is at No.379, then a general contractors offering plumbing, gasfitting, painting, decorating ironmongery and glazing, but now known as major glass suppliers to the city.

[QUOTE]

Greenbergs have actually just gone bust due to the recession.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hmtmaj View Post
    Found this "Elm House" ( Wavertree ? )

http://www.mersey-gateway.org/pastli.../pages/r45.htm

Martin
    Thanks for that, unfortunately I think the Elm House in that photo was near to Lance Lane in Wavetree rather than Old Swan! Like I said, 'The Elms' and 'Elm House' were very common names.

Nice one Ayjaykay... thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to have a picture (or know someone who has a picture) of this house would you?
    I don't have an old photo unfortunately. The house was where the newish flats and houses are on the photo below. Elms House Road runs behind it.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast