Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pier Head Area

Blog Entries

Default Pier Head Area

A stretch of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal on the Mersey waterfront is to be rebuilt with a £7m government grant.

The waterway between Stanley Docks and the South Docks was lost when the Royal Liver Building was built on the Georges Dock in the early 20th century.

The project received an Objective One European cash grant and will create nearly 200 new jobs.

Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott said the restoration plan was "great news" for the people of Liverpool.

Source

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Brilliant news, it will be great.

Blog Entries

Default Museum of Liverpool and Pier Head Canal Link

Minister backs 'X-wing' plans

CULTURE Secretary Tessa Jowell gave a massive vote of confidence to the £65m museum proposed for Liverpool's waterfront on a flying visit to the city.

During an update by Capital of Culture leaders yesterday, she was shown a model of the planned landmark building at Mann Island and declared it looked "beautiful."

The architecturally striking museum - which detractors claim resembles a Star Wars X-wing fighter - will provide 10,000 square metres of exhibition space, dedicated to the city's social history and development from the Norman conquest to the present day.

It is earmarked for part of the site which was due to be occupied by the ill-fated Fourth Grace project.

Ms Jowell said: "The museum will be beautiful and functional, and a new landmark for Liverpool.

"I hope in time it will be a building people will love."

Ms Jowell said she was confident this project would go ahead, after the spectacular collapse of the Fourth Grace scheme last year.

"The vast bulk of the money has already been raised, and everything is ready to start on site in April next year," she said..

"It is properly thought through and ready to go."

National Museums Liverpool (NML) chairman Loyd Grossman, who showed Ms Jowell the model for the building, said he was confident the museum would be built by 2008.

However, it is not due to be open to the public until the next year.

Mr Grossman said: "We are striving to create one of the great museums of the world, and one of the first great museums of the 21st century. It will make a major contribution to the public realm. We want it to be a place that Liverpool people feel they own."

More
    Last edited by Kev; 04-20-2006 at 09:23 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I think people hate the idea of this on the waterfront but like everything else it will become accepted in the future,remember the liver building caused uproar when that was first revealed.

Blog Entries

From what I've read, it looks like this will happen, so lets embrace it eh?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It might look better in real life, but it's not what I would have chosen. This design isn't very unusual or exciting. It looks too much like a multiplex cinema or large swimming baths or something.
    Very disappointing. Looks like it should belong on retail park.

The Cloud was much more interesting.

I like it makes it look cool and 21st century. Is the water bit supposed to be a canal?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    I like it makes it look cool and 21st century. Is the water bit supposed to be a canal?
    Yes that's the proposed canal link we're getting.

Blog Entries

I hope the canal bit comes off without a hitch
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Wonder if the water will look as clean as the computer image has it.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Wonder if the water will look as clean as the computer image has it.
    Haha, complete with comedy black binbags and shopping trollies
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I'm all for the canal. It will look great. Still not sure about that building though. As I said, maybe it will look better in real life. I know it's a very modern building, and I don't have a problem with that, it's just that it looks more like a cinema on a retail park to me. I would have liked something really unusual and striking.

What is that building supposed to have in it?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Port of Liverpool Building

AMBITIOUS plans for a £20m restoration of the Port of Liverpool Building at the Pier Head will soon become reality.

It follows approval of the scheme by the city council's planning committee.

A sixth level, dismantled after World War II damage, will be restored to provide 18 luxury apartments in what is one of the most recognisable buildings in the world.

The landmark scheme will see major internal and external works to restore the Grade II-listed building to its original glory.

The restoration will also expand the building's use beyond an office complex, improving public access to what was the first of the Pier Head's famous Three Graces to be built.

The new features of the rejuvenated building will include:

* a sunken piazza providing a small parade of restaurants, cafes and shops on the riverside front of the building;
    * a new floor created inside the huge dome, also allowing public access outside the dome;
    * a new roof level which reflects the design of the original mansard roof;
    * space for up 18 apartments, expected to be among the most prestigious in the city centre;
    * the existing car park will be replaced and cars relegated to an underground car park
    * extensive repairs and restoration of the exterior Portland stone;
    * complete interior restoration of the central atrium, re-admitting daylight for the first time since the 1940s blackout.

The investment in the restored and enhanced building will be made possible by the addition of a slate roof extension behind the existing parapet, re-creating the details lost as a result of war damage.

The proposals have been produced by award-winning conservation architects Donald Insall Associates, who were also responsible for the restoration of Liverpool town hall and Windsor Castle.

Sally O'Brien, a director of the building's owners, Downing Developments, said: "We are delighted to be able to proceed with our plans.

"We are proud guardians of this historic building and it is our sincere intent to both protect the Port of Liverpool building for future generations and to allow it to enjoy more of a central role in the public life of the city."

The project is widely regarded as a major catalyst for the Pier Head, recapturing the area for the public as a vibrant and safe place.

It is anticipated that the restoration will be complete in time for 2007, which is both the 800th anniversary of Liverpool's founding charter by King John and the 100th birthday of the Port of Liverpool Building.

Talks will now be held with the Port of Liverpool's tenants, which include the investment management company Rathbone Brothers and the freight group FWL Technologies, to schedule works so that they minimise disruption for those working in the building.

larryneild@dailypost.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I like the sound of the public access outside the dome bit,what a view that will provide.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast