Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton history and clearance areas

Default Everton history and clearance areas

Hi there

I've been interested to read some of the memories on here about old streets and places which have since disappeared, presumably as a result of major clearance durings the 1970s?

The last set of posts on the Everton District thread showing both a 1960s roadmap, and a contemprorary map, grpahically shows how an incredibly dense network of back to back streets (presumably creating pretty poor living conditions), has been transformed.

Looking at the 1855 OS map, shows another picture again, this time before much of the high density settlement occurred.

I'm interested because these are the palces where my grandfather was born (and ran away from!).

In particular I'm interested if anyone has any memories of or information about Orient Street and Priory Street (two of the older streets in the area, being on the 1855 map, and now covered by the Dixie Deans Playing Fields.

Also interested in any clues about: Amelia Street, Potter Street, and Nicholson Street.

I'm also curious about the "priory" referred to in Priory Street (and perhaps also Priory Road. Does this refere to one specific histrical priory in the area, or where there a few.

More generally, can anyone popint me at a published or available hsitory of the development and growth and change of Everton?

Cheers from New Zealand.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by imd6662 View Post
    Hi there

I've been interested to read some of the memories on here about old streets and places which have since disappeared, presumably as a result of major clearance durings the 1970s?

The last set of posts on the Everton District thread showing both a 1960s roadmap, and a contemprorary map, grpahically shows how an incredibly dense network of back to back streets (presumably creating pretty poor living conditions), has been transformed.

Looking at the 1855 OS map, shows another picture again, this time before much of the high density settlement occurred.

I'm interested because these are the palces where my grandfather was born (and ran away from!).

In particular I'm interested if anyone has any memories of or information about Orient Street and Priory Street (two of the older streets in the area, being on the 1855 map, and now covered by the Dixie Deans Playing Fields.

Also interested in any clues about: Amelia Street, Potter Street, and Nicholson Street.

I'm also curious about the "priory" referred to in Priory Street (and perhaps also Priory Road. Does this refere to one specific histrical priory in the area, or where there a few.

More generally, can anyone popint me at a published or available hsitory of the development and growth and change of Everton?

Cheers from New Zealand.

Ian
    Good luck to you in your enquiry, Ian. I don't have any specific answers about the streets you mention except that I can possibly help you with your query about whether there was a priory in this area. From what I know of local history, no. The nearest priories, to my knowledge, would have been Birkenhead Priory to the west, Norton Priory (near Runcorn) to the east, and Burscough Priory to the north. I think I am right in saying there are a number of streets with ecclesiastical ramifications in the Everton/Anfield area, and the name possibly has more to do with Victorian romantic notions than any specific institution in the area.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

heres a photo of the Dixie Dean playing field taken last year...a new school is currently being built on the site of the fields

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Thanks for clearing up the mystery of the priory Chris -- you;re dead right about the ecclesiastical name fetish of course.

The 1855 OS map does show a large house of some sort at the confluence of Priory and Orient Streets -- wonder what that was.

Thanks too, robbo, for the pic of the Dixie Deans Playing Fields. I'd seen there was some kerfuffle some years ago about rights of use to that land -- seems like the council won! Visiting the UK shortly so will be intertested to god and have a look for myself.

Default orient street

Hi there

Cheers from New Zealand.

Ian
    hi i was brought up in orient street from 1953 to time of clearance i lived in number 15 hayworth street loads of memories priory street and priory road where either side of orient. it was very close nit community everyone was in the same boat top of are street was trails chandelers where we used to go and get are coal bricks and spent are free coupons the shops i remember on top road where dolly's grocery's shop where we would get tic until my dad got payed on a thursday night. also peegrums where we used to get are brocken biscuits. plus i would get sent to the pawn shop with my brothers suits and my mum would get the back out ready for the weekend. orient street consisted of about 4 different style houses ares being 1 of the biggest (love to have that size now) at the top of orient street we had the co-op hall and many times we would be chased away while orange loadge the band practice went on. hope this helps you out lots bye.

Smile hi agen

Quote Originally Posted by crowy View Post
    hi i was brought up in orient street from 1953 to time of clearance i lived in number 15 hayworth street loads of memories priory street and priory road where either side of orient. it was very close nit community everyone was in the same boat top of are street was trails chandelers where we used to go and get are coal bricks and spent are free coupons the shops i remember on top road where dolly's grocery's shop where we would get tic until my dad got payed on a thursday night. also peegrums where we used to get are brocken biscuits. plus i would get sent to the pawn shop with my brothers suits and my mum would get the back out ready for the weekend. orient street consisted of about 4 different style houses ares being 1 of the biggest (love to have that size now) at the top of orient street we had the co-op hall and many times we would be chased away while orange loadge the band practice went on. hope this helps you out lots bye.

sorry about dolly's grocery
    shop it was accualy tilly's grocery shop and dolly's was where i worked it was a fruit shop at the top of mere lane.

PhilipG

There were houses called ------- Priory.
    Quite a few dotted around Liverpool.

Hi there

Cheers from New Zealand.

Ian
    There is an interesting history of St George's Church Everton which also covers the development of Everton. This is sold through the church.

http://www.neighbourhoodservices.com...hurchviews.htm

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/.../stgeorge.html

http://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/...ain/index.html

I have been asked by a couple of people if anyone on Yo can supply a photograph of Taliesin Street. It ran between Scotland Road and Great Homer Street and was cleared in 1966. I have exhausted all the usual sources and have actually found pictures of all the surrounding streets such as Dalrymple St, (where Schofields was) Louis St and Mould St.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Well I actually made it to Everton last Saturday hampered by a lack of sense of direction, no map, confusing road signs, and an appaling downpour.

Saw the former Dixie Deans fields, now a school building site, which once was a such a densely populated negihbourhood.

Wish I'd know about the chuch history -- would have popped in and bought a copy. Does anyone have an email or postal contact for the church?

ALso found a photo of what must have been the last remaining terrace of houses to be cleared in Orient Street, in the library's archives.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Hi great site... Born in Everton and lived by the Watertower, Belgrave Terrace and our bathroom was in Margaret Street till the ball and chain gang moved in. Went to SFX infants and juniors.. School memories "The Christian Brothers" Jeez they were vicious their motto you will learn, and you did, or else. The Headmaster was a tall man with silver hair Mr O'Keefe I think, he liked giving the leather strap for being late on cold frosty mornings ouch!!! games on the roof, the dinner centre the smell of gas and cheese pie, hated that, and benediction on fridays.
    Watched the 1965 youtube of Everton up Brunswick road it was like I was taken back in time, used to be a place up Brunswick Road for the blind like a workshop run by the nuns, I remember there used to be a collection box outside of a blind boy or was it a dog, used to pat it on the head on the way home from school every day and gave the odd copper if I had one. Remember Grant Gardens and the park on Shaw Street cant think of the name, happy days.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I have been asked by a couple of people if anyone on Yo can supply a photograph of Taliesin Street. It ran between Scotland Road and Great Homer Street and was cleared in 1966. I have exhausted all the usual sources and have actually found pictures of all the surrounding streets such as Dalrymple St, (where Schofields was) Louis St and Mould St.
    There's a pic in "It all came tumbling down" Ged,sadly it only shows a back view of houses with no rear windows.
    The house are under demolition.

Default everton park

from the park with the Gladstone windmills and one of the new ones at Trafalgar.

view from everton park
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Default Boys Club History!

Hello folks!

It?s been some months since I have been on the forum. To those of you who remember me, I have been involved in collating and archiving a history of the Shrewsbury Boys Club (as was,) it is now known as the ?Shewsy?.

Based in Everton, the club has been running since 1903.

Several old boys and myself (who where members during the fifties) get together each Friday morning to input photos and information on to computer. There is a wealth of information from the early years up to the present day. There are many newsletters relating to the war years with some detailed information of the blitz in 1941. I have been scanning many of the photos onto my computer at home (hence my absence on the forum). We hope to put out a DVD of old photos, to raise money for the club. Anyone born in or from the Everton district, or anyone who had parents or grandparents from Everton who went to the club, will find a memory or two.

Some photographs of slum clearance in and around the area between Great Homer Street and Netherfield Road may be of interest; I will try and put some on the forum at a later date.

Cheers - Samp

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Thanx Samp. Good to have you back. You ain't been forgotten as you had a mention in the "YO 08 awards"

Cracker pics again Joe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast