Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Genealogy-Who is into it?

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    A fascinating,but often laborious pastime! I've given mine up for a year, or so,till I get the "bug" again!
    That what I do..Go away from it for a bit. A break can help ypu.

Anyone want to start theirs? we could help point you to a few places to look.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

All those ancestory web-sites - I never get anywhere with them. I type in all my various relatives names or dates, or places, and have never yet got a result. it's like none of us existed ! ha!

First thing you need to do is write down all that you know. Start with your parents and your grandparents. Ask older relatives if they can help or if they have any family stories. Anyone killed in ww1 or ww2 can be found. Then its checking births,Marriages, Census records. If you have common names its hard, but not impossible. My mum was a Johnson. Her mum was Hughes who married a Hughes...Nightmare.

Using a family tree chart ( loads on tinternet for free ) you can fill it in and it gets easier to understand.

Tribal Pages has a very good one for free. Or use Ancestry.com. You dont need to subscribe to build your tree.

people from Merseyside should start at the Merseyside Genealogy and History Forum http://genchatfriends.proboards.com/index.cgi Very good for help, and very friendly.

Dont expect too much too soon, Patience is the key to this...But when you find them its chuffing grand.

Plus you can ask for help along the way

Be aware that you will probably uncover some sad things along the way, but its all your history.

My family come from Sweden on my mums side and It was great finding this out. explains where my stunning good looks come from
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Just the opposite for me Lindy, me pc's clogged up with info and images.

Thumbs up Start here for free...

...at the LDS web site. www.familysearch.org

An example of 3 minutes on the web site is shown here...

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...look-up-needed

...and, did I mention it's free?

Quote Originally Posted by Davec View Post
    Just the opposite for me Lindy, me pc's clogged up with info and images.
    even with relatives I know about, .. I look them up just to see if they are listed and I always, always get the same result ' not found'

I've tried all the sites listed and never get anywhere. There was a site featured in the Echo the other night, so I tried it. Guess what - 'not found' !!

I've looked in the Mormon sites too.

I'm back to 1811 at the moment with a James Dandy who funnily enough lived on Mason Street in Edge Hill haha.

Have been doing mine since 2001, gradually fitting it all together like a jigsaw.

Have come across a lot of interesting stuff in fact today I have just received an email from Ancestry.com who sent me my certificate of birth. It confirms that I was born at home in Springfield Place( four squares).

It's all taken a lot of time but well worth it ,when I first started some of the info was hard to get hold of but theres so much more information accsesible on the net now.

We got most of our info from the Public Records Office at Central Libary, the staff are very knowledge and helpful.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonybeyga/

'and here I'll stay'.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    That what I do..Go away from it for a bit. A break can help ypu.
    I always get to the point where I can't find anymore & give up ......usually when I've paid for my subscription to Ancestry

the furthest I've got with my Liverpool familys is about 1825.......my Suffolk family I'm back to 1663
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

The Mormon site - Family Search - is mostly useful for earlier records (17th and 18th centuries), after that they start to get a bit patchy the more recent the records.
    As you probably know it's only since 1837 that births, marriages and deaths have had to be registered by law - before that it was just the local churches that recorded them, and this is where the mormons (LDS) records are useful.
    They have a vast collection of filmed church records that they and many volunteers transcribe. I do a bit myself and the advantage over official online records is the extra info you get from them.
    The censuses records are a great source of info and good fun too

my sister has been doing ours for years now, she's gone back to early 1700's on my mum's side, and is now back to the late 1800's on my dads. lots of intresting things you find out when researching family. we've had a strongman, music professor, captains of ships, football manager (i think) and a lord

she goes to a meeting every other week in wigan, were people gather to talk about research and offer advice and tips.
    Don't dream it ... be it !

I am back to 1672 with my fathers side, I have a family website and have had 9226 hits from all over the world plus numerous emails.
    I keep going back and doing a bit at a time as it can become very addictive.

" If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Been trying to do mine for a while but before 1940 all family in southern ireland cant find hardly anything.....................any suggestions peeps?

Quote Originally Posted by essexscouse View Post
    Been trying to do mine for a while but before 1940 all family in southern ireland cant find hardly anything.....................any suggestions peeps?
    Try this,the 1911 irish census!

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast